back to article Nokia may tell struggling HERE Maps division to get lost – report

Nokia may not be done selling itself off in pieces, with sources claiming the Finnish firm may be looking to unload its HERE Maps division. Bloomberg reports that Nokia has been shopping the unit to a number of potential buyers, among them some private equity firms, a group of German automakers, and even unlicensed taxi app …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it had been on the market a few years back

Apple would have been very interested if they had this option when they were dropping Google Maps. Not sure why Uber would be interested, since their drivers can use whatever maps they have/want.

1. Planty Bronze badge

Re: If it had been on the market a few years back

Apple maps is still garbage and 4 years or more behind Google. They could really do with buying this

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Devil

Re: If it had been on the market a few years back

The first thing they'd do would be to pull the Android version so here's hoping they don't.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just because something was bought for a vast fortune....

Doesn't mean it's a 'steal' even at a quarter of the price.

Like Autonomy.

3. Martin 47

I hope whoever buys it doesn't bugger it up to much as it seems to be the best navigation thingy on my phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Damn right.

Its easily on a par with my garmin and trounces tomtom all day long.

Sad to see Nokia falling from grace. Been a staunch Nokia user since late 90's...

4. Paul Shirley

Deadly obsession

Time to remember the part Here played in pushing Nokia to Windows rather than Android. In a small way (compared to the total mismanagement) that obsession with the mapping crown jewels killed Nokia as a mobile supplier.

Even now they've allowed it onto android the app can be a PIA to use.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Deadly obsession

Ovi/Nokia/Here Maps has been on more platforms than you've had hot dinners. It didn't push them one way or the other.

5. James 51

If they do sell it here's hoping it doesn't get buggered up. I'd pay for it on my phone.

6. DrXym

I was using it yesterday

I'm on holiday in Lanzarote at the moment and while it works pretty well, some of its directions are frankly extremely dodgy. Yesterday it told me to turn the wrong way up a one way street, flagged a restaurant I searched for as being in the ocean, kept saying "turn right and then right" instead of "turn right" and chose some very dodgy routes up mountains when straighter main roads were available. It also pronounced all the places with an English accent - Arrecife became arse-e-ife.

Another time when I was in the US it got stuck in a loop - it told me to do a U turn, which I did and then it told me to do another U-turn. I had to drive off a bit to get any sense back into it.

That said, it's free and it has offline support so it's still a very valuable app to have on a phone. The Android version also has a far better UI than the Windows Phone version though it still has some annoyances.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: I was using it yesterday

It should be noted that one of the favourite pasttimes of local mayors in Spain is changing the one-way system in their town every couple of years.

1. DrXym

Perhaps but what does it say of the maps I downloaded a few days before arriving here?

1. Mark 85
          Devil

They knew you were coming and changed the signs just before you got there....

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Welcome to the Canaries.

I know the Canaries like the back of my hand - when we were younger and not slaves to the school vacation schedule we used to go there 4 times a year and return rentals with 2k+ clocked in 10 days or so. I would not use any Sat Nav there. The one place in Europe (if that still counts as Europe) where the good old paper map is still invaluable. Always get one from the rental company - it is worth it.

On Lansarote - you may still get some resemblance of directions. On Tenerife it is hilarious - you get (nearly all satnavs) rating the 2.5m wide alleys between the banana fields as equal with a normal road. However, in either case, it kind'a works.

Try it on La Palma or El Hierro. Even Google Maps has whole "urbanizacions" mapped erroneously to a single street and has no idea about 95% of the postcodes and streets in most cities.

So a SatNav not working on the Canaries is not an indication that it is a bad SatNav. It may be perfectly viable (nearly) anywhere else in the world. Even in the darkest, deepest Eastern Europe where most SatNavs have only the motorways in their database.

7. Jason Hindle

Samsung, perhaps?

For Samsung's non-Android phone efforts (Tizen? Anyone?), the Here tools are pretty complete. Just look at the monumental effort it was for Apple to launch its own mapping.

8. Bad Beaver
    WTF?

That Company…

Why are they no longer able to keep a good thing going? HERE is the best in the game and widely beloved. Yeah let's sell that. It boggles the mind.

9. jason 7

Installed Here locally on my Nexus 4...

...several weeks ago. Haven't touched the TomTom since. So much better for me.

Shame that it will eventually get ruined.

1. phil dude
      Meh

Re: Installed Here locally on my Nexus 4...

I agree. As a Nokia refugee it is nice to have HERE on Android....

I guess, at least you can download all the maps, and that will be sufficient for most purposes...

It's a strange world that has evolved in that technologies get invented, refined and yet inexplicably we don't end up with the best technology - just the most commercially viable...

Just a thought...

P.

1. Mark 85

It's a strange world that has evolved in that technologies get invented, refined and yet inexplicably we don't end up with the best technology - just the most commercially viable...

Just a thought...

There's probably a book or two somewhere in that statement and trying to explain the "why". There's been a lot of great (to me at least) tech that got bought by someone else and then promptly put away in a dark back room because it competed with the buyer's inferior tech. Glide is a pertect example. Bought by NVidia and then promptly shut down and all the tech put into storage or binned. For the time, Glide was graphics to beat on games. But NVidia had bigger dollars tucked away and was buying up competitors.

1. jason 7

MiniDisc Data...instead we got stuck with floppies and Zip Disks.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Devil

If Worstall hasn't already posted some stream-of-consciousness about why this is better for everyone and anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong then I'm sure he soon will do.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not mobile or web

It is surprisingly not all about mobile and apps. HERE supplies map data to the bulk of in-car integrated satnav systems, they are also the mapping provider behind the curtain for all Garmin devices. These markets represent the revenue stream for them not mobile/apps.

I'd put money on a consortium of German auto makers buying the business with here gone they have to either deal with TomTom/TeleAtlas or Google.

11. Afflicted.John
    Thumb Up

Go on BlackBerry...

My Passport needs a decent mapping app and no matter what tricks I pull I cannot get Here working.

1. James 51

Re: Go on BlackBerry...

Here and the pureview camera technology. Go on, you know you want to.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Meh

Re: Go on BlackBerry...

Pureview has been stagnant since the 1020, which itself was just an effort in making the Symbian 808's camera and drivers work on Windows Phone because people were starting to notice and it was looking a bit embarassing. Nokia's camera wizard jumped ship to Apple so don't expect any great cameras on Lumia phones from now on.

12. gete

The title is fraught with hatred!

Why?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like