back to article Urine for a treat this Monday, ISS 'nauts: SpaceX to launch pee-powered coffee pot

SpaceX is preparing to send a load of supplies up to the International Space Station – a resupply mission due to launch on Monday at 1633 EDT (2033 UTC, 1333 PDT). Three miutes after takeoff, the reusable first stage of the Falcon rocket carrying the cargo will separate and be piloted back to Earth, so SpaceX can try to land …

1. NoOneSpecific
    Facepalm

Pee-powered coffee pot??

More like Urine for a "Rude Awakening!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pee-powered coffee pot??

PeesMaid ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teasmade

2. Mark 85

Friday... beer o'clock.

I doubt that it's truly "pee-powered". Maybe the coffee but not the pot. I guess it's good they finally get a few creature comforts... Maybe a mini-beer brewery could be next. The more they pee, the more espresso they can make.

A 3-second launch window sounds, to me, like someone is putting some pressure on Space-X... and I don't think it's because the ISS crew needs espresso that critically.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Friday... beer o'clock.

Yeah, well, pee-powered coffee pot was too good to pass up.

C.

1. PNGuinn
        Headmaster

Re: Friday... beer o'clock. "too good to pass up"

Don't you mean "too good to piss up"?

2. Steve Goodey

The 3 seconds are due to orbital mechanics.

1. Gordon 10
        FAIL

Well duh of course it's orbital mechanics that doesn't mean a slot that small should have been selected as a valid launch window.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Like slipping through the straits of Gibraltar in a U-Boot.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They may not have many other options. The previous two resupply missions were described as having "one second launch windows" so this time they've got three times as long!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is it a DRM free coffee maker?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/05/coffee_pod_inventor_john_sylvan/

Imagine what you could charge per cup, it's not like they have a choice!

4. skeptical i
    Devil

"Pee powered" as opposed to "pee producing" --

so they're not getting one of those one-at-a-time "K" machines, then? (Sorry, it requires too much jiggery pokery to get a decent cup out of those machines for the much-touted "convenience".)

5. beast666

Check this out 1080p60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1d_pNRYOw

6. Tromos

At least it will...

...have that authentic Starbucks flavour.

1. Grikath

Re: At least it will...

which one? the stuff starbucks insists is "coffee" would class as "grout" or maybe "rat droppings" here in this bediked little bit of lake-bottom.

1. cray74

Re: At least it will...

"the stuff starbucks insists is "coffee" would class as "grout" or maybe "rat droppings" here in this bediked little bit of lake-bottom."

Blind taste tests have placed McDonalds McCafe products and Dunkin Donuts coffee ahead of Starbucks. I prefer to assume that says negative things about Starbucks, not good things against their competitors.

7. Steve Graham

Samantha Cristoforetti was to get an espresso machine last year. Was it lost in the Antares launch explosion?

8. jake Silver badge

You do know that ...

... every single drop of water that you have ever ingested has been pissed and/or crapped out of one critter or another, and probably hundreds of thousands of critters, since at least the Cambrian explosion (about half a billion years ago), right?

Why always the locker-room humor about evaporation of water? Do you squeal every time it rains, lest you get some on you? Have you ever showered?

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: You do know that ...

Well personally, I only drink water specially imported from the Oort cloud.

In all fairness, I do try to only inhale oxygen that has passed through at least one historical figure.

I did a fart once that smelled of Hitler- it must have gone down the wrong way.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You do know that ...

> Have you ever showered?

I work in IT.

Nope ... Am I supposed to?

9. phuzz Silver badge
    Boffin

Visible from the UK?

I've just had a thought. At the moment in the UK we're getting a great series of ISS passes, and I do remember being able to see a Cygnus pod as it was leaving the station last year (it was a much dimmer dot trailing behind the ISS by about one thumb's width), so I'm wondering if we might be able to see Dragon as it passes over the UK in the coming nights before it docks.

Keep an eye out people!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like