back to article PC sales dip below 2009 levels, with Japanese sales off 44 per cent

68.5 million PCs trundled off the world's production lines in 2015's first quarter, the lowest number since 2009 according to box-watcher IDC. The news isn't all bad: the analyst firm had previously predicted a lower number. But it's still a 6.7 per cent dip on last year's first quarter. Newer PC designs are exciting punters …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

With the Yen now weak

Is this some kind of Keynesian parrot sketch?

Krugman must be having a good laugh over his "in the long run we are dead" cocktail.

2. El_Fev

Hey

Does Apples computer division still make the most profits?

1. DerekCurrie
      Thumb Up

Re: Hey

From Apple's 2015 First Quarter Results statement:

"The results were fueled by all-time record revenue from iPhone® and Mac® sales as well as record performance of the App Store℠."

According to MacRumors.com:

"Apple sold a record 74.5 million iPhones during the quarter, up from 51 million a year earlier, while Mac sales were also strong with 5.5 million units sold, up from 4.8 million units in the year-ago quarter."

That's over 14% growth in Mac sales for the quarter year over year.

3. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

I recollect that in the peak PC year of 2011...

....90 million PC were sold in a single quarter.

So the current 68 million looks somewhat pathetic.

And it sounds like the margins for PC makers are so thin, that Microsoft may well be unable to charge them so much for Windows.

And Dell clearly did something to annoy Microsoft - perhaps it was making those chromebooks that MS couldn't forgive. Is Dell the new Compaq, soon to be eaten by Lenovo, I wonder?

4. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

I recollect that in the peak PC year of 2011...

...there was a three month period when 90 million PCs were sold.

68 million sounds rather sad by comparison.

With PC margins so thin, I guess Microsoft may be having to hold the price of Windows down to stimulate sales. And Dell clearly did something to annoy Microsoft - perhaps it shouldn't have made those chromebooks so desirable. Is Dell the new Compaq, shortly to be gobbled up by Lenovo, I wonder?

5. gtardy
    Thumb Down

Dell market share down ? Not a surprise !

Dell does everything to prevent new orders. Here is at least 8 ways how :

1) Dell sales representatives know little (outside of US: nothing) about their products.

2) Dell has dozens of phone numbers leading to only a couple of teams, hence the unnecessary confusion.

3) Even Dell representatives don't agree with each other on which team should get a single customer's case.

4) Dell's automated phone service sends you to an outsourced sales representative who doesn't speak the same language and tries to sell you different, more expensive products than found on the Dell website.

5) Dell sends an email to an entreprise customer saying that a representative will reach out, but 2 weeks later still nothing.

6) After 2 messages sent to a dedicated address (Dell_EMEA_VIP@dell.com) and 2 phone calls where it was confirmed they were in direct contact with the responsible person at the aforementioned address, still no answer.

7) And when one does try to put in an order on the Dell website, their free chat doesn't work, displaying an "Invalid login attempt" error.

8) Worse, the Dell website's purchase process changes language half-way through. If you can't "Deutsch sprechen", hard luck buying anything !

1. P. Lee

Re: Dell market share down ? Not a surprise !

They have taken a new interest in not serving you.

I notice prices have disappeared which may be considered a bit of a flaw.

The last time I looked, the successor to the $650 semi-pro monitor I bought was up at around $1250. I guess someone has to pay for that buyout.

If you got German on the website, lucky you! I got mostly Arabic when I clicked, "Contact dell." I clicked on Intel processors - Learn More i5 and ended up on a page "2-in-1s Usher in A New World of Productivity and Entertainment". Its a complete farce.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like