back to article Android alt-wars: OnePlus looses Cyanogen-slaying OxygenOS firmware

Smartphone startup OnePlus has released the first version of OxygenOS, its homebrewed alt-Android smartphone operating system. "By creating our own operating system, we can quickly respond to user feedback and make it easier for you to continue playing a fundamental role in the future of OnePlus," CEO Carl Pei said in a Monday …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Hey - lay off of Apple now. Why should they have to reinvent the wheel?

Besides - Apple's financial contributions to the underlying BSD projects are at least 1/1000 as much as Google sends to Firefox annually. Well, maybe not quite that much, but certainly some fraction thereof.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hat off to you, Sir!

In two posts we have gone from an article on a new Android distro to Apple trolling, and a good one at that. This must be some kind of record...

Have an upvote.

1. RyokuMas
          Coat

Eadon could have done it in one... along with a few others on here...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Mainly because Eadon made a wonderful habit of trolling in *every* post he ever made IIRC.

2. Smalls

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

2. Paul Shirley

Just what oneplus needs

More work to distract them from creating a usable customer service setup.

... although that presumes they have any intention of doing customer service, it feels like they invested more resources in selling overpriced addons than anything else. Not a company I would trust to get an OS right before much pain has been suffered.

3. Fuh Quit
    Pint

Ming mong ping pong

Never mind el Reg commentards, you should get your bums over to the OPO forums where it seems nobody is ever happy. They even managed to ming-mong the news about Cyanogen OS 12 being released for the OPO this week.

And I'm an OPO owner and frankly unconcerned. My phone makes calls and accesses the Internet today....!

Have a beer and a read :D

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The OPO forums are dreadful - the majority of posters appear to be 12yo 4chan rejects.

OxygenOS is rather nice if you like pure Lollipop with very minor enhancements. It doesn't feel quite ready yet, though. The network table is somewhat out of date (EE shows as T-Mobile) and Ambient Display constantly stops working until I reboot. Auto-brightness isn't working very well either.

Now back on 11S awaiting the Cyanogen OS 12 OTA...

1. stephajn

"The OPO forums are dreadful - the majority of posters appear to be 12yo 4chan rejects."

Couldn't agree more. Any time OnePlus posts appear on Facebook, it is immediately flooded with comments like "Lollipop??" "What about CM12s OTA?" "I can't breathe! I need Oxygen!" And so on.

Now that Oxygen OS is released, every post is flooded with demands for CM12s which is so stupid since OnePlus has zero control over its release. To make it even worse, people are griping about how Oxygen OS can't be delivered OTA at the moment.

I have a OnePlus One and am perfectly happy to sit back and wait for CM12 to come to me over the air. It is running smoothly and stable and I have zero issues with it. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading? No thanks!

5. Smalls

Slayed?

You must mean slayed by boredom and lack of features. Everyone keeps talking about how it's "so clean" and "so fast" but of course any operating system is going to be clean and fast when nothing's been added to it. That's like getting a base model car and saying it's so simple and uncomplicated! Taking of vanilla version of Android 5.0 and adding some different colors and menu options doesn't mean making a new operating system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like