back to article Samsung persuades US watchdog to review Smartflash legal dance over patents

Apple may end up getting a helping hand from its mega smartphone rival Samsung, after the South Korean electronics giant convinced US regulators to look at two Smartflash LLC patents. In February, Cupertino was ordered to pay nearly half a billion dollars to Texas-based patent licensing company Smartflash after a jury found …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. The_Idiot

And, based on a rather...

... large number of posts here, neither should a gazillion other patents have been issued by the same orifice. So why these two, and not the other gazillion-2?

Of course, I'm sure there's a reason. After all, I'm an Idiot (blush).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. The_Idiot

Re: And, based on a rather...

Sir, my apology for my poor phrasing :-). The question, rhetorical or otherwise, wasn't directed at you, but at the less than beloved (to me at least) US Patent Orifice, as I should have made more clear (blush).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why these two?

Because a troll is using them to try to extort billions from other companies. There's no point in reviewing the "method for swinging sideways" or "method for exercising a cat" patents because the patent holder isn't trying to abuse them. They just filed those patents to show how low the bar is.

I'm surprised that Apple wasn't able to get these patents reviewed previously, but the fact Samsung has done so probably means they were next on Smartflash's hit list. If people ask "why didn't Apple settle instead of going to trial" it is because if the patents are invalidated Apple owes nothing. If Apple settles they'll still owe the money (unless Smartflash agreed to a clause that says they don't if the patents are invalidated - which no troll will EVER agree to)

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend

or something like that.

1. Swarthy

Re: The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend

Maxim 29: The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

3. Mark 85

Self-Preservation and not altruistic?

I wonder if this is because Sammy feels it's in the cross-hairs for litigation on those two patents... Logically, if those two get tossed, the door is open to look at the rest of the portfolio.

4. Brent Beach

Not only are the patents silly - prior art all over the place - but the venues in which these trials take place are special. A few courts in rural texas that are famous for big settlements on patents.

A failed patent system and a failed legal system.

Brought to you by the leader of the free world.

5. ratfox
    Mushroom

Texas Eastern district-based patent licensing company Smartflash

FTFY

And stopped reading there.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When Apple is involved

It's quite astonishing when Apple is on the wrong end of things how fast the US Patent and Trademark Office review broad is galvanised into action. Must be all those free ipads, iphones and macs that gets things moving.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When Apple is involved

Eh? Read the story, this is Samsung not Apple. It is only that Apple might also benefit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: When Apple is involved

Why do appletards have to hide ?

Apple to Samsung - Back us up or you lose the chip contract.

7. Terry Cloth

``Texas-based patent licensing company Smartflash''?

Did someone yank your chain over calling spades spades, and patent trolls likewise?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like