back to article Chef Software cooks up new Chef Delivery DevOps product

Chef Software has announced a new product for automating software deployment and the workflow of change management. Called Chef Delivery, it extends the company’s existing infrastructure automation product. Chef Delivery is announced today at ChefConf, underway in Santa Clara, California. At the heart of Chef’s platform is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So still working on delivering the basic capabilities of tools like SCCM then but seemingly much harder to use.

Only in the OSS world would anyone consider a tool in which you have to learn a complex programming language and edit text files to do basic deployment and configuration tasks as an acceptable solution!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Complex? To do a basic deployment you probably need to do about two hours of learning.

The syntax is nice and simple, allows you to manipulate more or less any operating system or application and with other basic knowledge and a bit of work you can automate all the various abstract API's you will need to talk to through a build and delivery process. Having recently done this I have to say it's been a very pleasurable and basic process being able to go from having nothing to a fully built tomcat/apache with a single script, and this is just after a few days of playing with chef (and having to navigate a rather nasty private cloud API from scratch.)

Good fun, and now I have the tools to easily rinse and repeat (of course some more work with cookbooks and such like will be required for all the different applications, but the principles are generally repeatable.) Sure SCCM can do much the shame, but right tools for the job at hand.

1. Nate Amsden

as a chef customer

For the past four years I stand by my tagline for chef "makes the easy things hard, and the hard things possible" you can google that term for more background from me on the topic if anyone is interested.

Using Chef was never my idea, and it's *far* too much work(to be worth it) to switch to something else at this point so we just try to live with it.

Before that I had roughly 7 years invested in CFEngine (version 2) and was a much happier person with that product.

Chef has some interesting concepts in it, but such overkill for probably 90% of the organizations out there.

If you are not ready to dive deep into ruby steer clear of chef. I was never prepared to dive into Ruby after having many bad experiences supporting it in the past, and using Chef has just continued to rub salt in those old wounds. Fortunately I have a team mate who is very good at chef so he handles most of it.

I gave my feedback to some of the founders of Chef when I met them several years ago, their response was "oh, you know an apache config file right? postfix? sendmail? bind? Chef is the same you'll pick it up in no time.." (here I am 4 years later and my original comments stand).

Oh and don't get me started on hosted Chef taking scheduled outages in the middle of the day(for paying customers). Just brain dead. What service provider in the world takes scheduled outages in the middle of a business day? I've spoken to the VP in charge of that stuff(friend of mine from 10 years ago) and their excuse either made me want to laugh or cry I'm not sure which.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like