back to article Oracle gets ZFS filer array spun up to near-AFA speeds

Oracle's ZFS filer array has virtually matched an all-flash array in the SPC-2 streaming storage benchmark and set a new SPC-2 streaming/price/performance record [PDF]. It introduced its ZS4-4 array in December last year, as a refresh of the prior ZS3. That was rated at 17,244.22MB/sec on its SPC-2 run with a $22.53 price/ …

1. Nate Amsden

Where do i get

20k rpm disks?

Haven't heard of them

2. MadMike

IBM worst in class

Funny how IBM is so bad; over priced and under performing. Best in the graph is down, to the right. IBM is the opposite; high, to the left.

IBM is exiting all hardware, putting all resources on services. IBM will exit storage too, as they dont seem to interested in developing storage, look at the bad performance and price.

1. toughluck

Re: IBM worst in class

This ties to Oracle, too -- who would IBM offload their tape business to? If they just up and discontinued it, it would leave Oracle as the only supplier of Enterprise tape storage, and HP as the only manufacturer of LTO drives. Quite uncomfortable for Spectra Logic which uses IBM drives in their libraries.

2. Stephen McLaughlin

I'm surprised to see the XIV so bad in performance, price yes, but not performance. There's a huge overhead with the entire Array RAID1+0. Plus, most installations I've seen max out the flash front end. But I've seen XIV blow the doors off similar competition up to and around the 100k IOPS target.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The DS8800 benchmark is from 2010 and it's an enterprise class array and can only be compared to a VSP or VMAX. At least IBM benchmarks their storage and by far the most on this chart. Where's EMC? Oh yeah, they just have to say they're awesome, not prove it. Dell? 3Par?

3. Dave Hilling

I know WD talked about them a few years ago...I hadn't heard anything since just assuming they gave up because the reality is even 20K can't keep up with flash. I would love to see some data/benchmarks on these thing...but alas I see none.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like