back to article Verizon: FINE OK, you can now rid your life of our stalker supercookies

Verizon has finally got around to giving its subscribers the option to opt out of its controversial supercookie tracking program. Customers can find the switch in their My Verizon account settings, or by calling the toll-free number (866) 211-0874. "Verizon Wireless provides customers the ability to opt-out of our advertising …

1. Sebastian A

I still don't understand why this is opt-out instead of opt-in? This level of privacy violation wouldn't be tolerable outside the Internet. It's equivalent to a clothing retailer sewing GPS trackers into your clothes that anyone could use, without telling you, and expecting the average Joe to know that they need to ask for it to be disabled.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, now i have to microwave my clothes? Great...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because they make more money that way. Complain to your congressmen. I did a few years ago, for all the good it did. If I was donating six figures to their campaigns they might pay more attention to me, but I won't give any of those crooks in either party a penny.

3. Mark 85

Simples... that would require ethics instead of greed to paramount emotion of the stockholders and the board.

4. A Known Coward

Re: sewing GPS trackers into your clothes

"It's equivalent to a clothing retailer sewing GPS trackers into your clothes that anyone could use, without telling you, and expecting the average Joe to know that they need to ask for it to be disabled."

Umm, they are already sewing RFID transponders into clothes, not quite as bad as GPS but it allows people and stores to know what underwear you have on when you pass within range of their readers i.e. when entering and exiting the building.

1. WolfFan Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: sewing GPS trackers into your clothes

sewing RFID transponders into clothes, not quite as bad as GPS but it allows people and stores to know what underwear you have on when you pass within range of their readers.

M'grrl Paris won't need to worry, then?

2. James 51
    Pirate

Because they can and we've no easy way to stop them.

3. skeptical i

I am the Superme Ruler of the Nation of Me

and I want a trackerless government plan.

4. A Known Coward

Another reason for using TLS every where

If all web traffic was encrypted using TLS then ISPs and other men-in-the-middle wouldn't be able to inject headers or adverts.

1. Mike Bell

Re: Another reason for using TLS every where

It's site operators and their affiliates who are predominantly responsible for 'targeted' ads, not ISPs. TLS won't help there.

1. A Known Coward

Re: Another reason for using TLS every where

I'm fairly certain I said "men in the middle ... injecting ads" and nothing at all about TLS eliminating all adverts.

I was referring only to ISPs and the like inserting their own adverts into pages, sometimes replacing site operators adverts (Redmoon, CMA, etc).

5. DNTP

I'll confirm this is true, my Verizon 4G service has dropped the header. However I should point out that they make it really, really easy to accidentally opt back into their ad tracking system by, for example, signing up for "rewards points" and not reading the fine print that says you're opting in.

Also it leaves me wondering what they are doing NOW, that we haven't detected yet, but if that's true they've probably been doing it all along.

Finally, customer support reps at the local Verizon store have no idea what a UIDH is, but are happy to tell you that Verizon takes customer privacy "seriously". Incompetence or conspiracy? YOU decide, after these targeted message.

1. No. Really!?

While the reps do not know what an UIDH is, they are equally appalled.

After explaining what it was and why I wanted to opt out, the conversation basically went like this:

"For ALL Verizon phones?"

"How do I check my phone?"

"Can you hang on a moment..."

"HEY!! Oh my! Please hold sir, I will find out how turn this off"

She fixed it for both of us

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Caller ID is opt-out

Just sayin'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like