back to article Netflix teams with AWS to launch VHS-as-a-service

Streaming video titan Netflix will shortly launch a variant of its service in which classic 1980s programs, and modern content, are streamed in a form that approximates the unbelievably bad video quality of the VHS video cassette. The Reg understands Netflix has worked with Amazon Web Services to tweak the cloud giant's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Early start...

...meant that I was half way down before realising this was a load of codswallop.

I actually had it in my head that the degraded quality meant that the bandwidth was a lot smaller, therefore offering a cheaper service.

Meh. Nice one!

1. skeptical i
      Devil

Re: Early start...

M0rt: Yeah, that was my thought too: marketing the shite quality lo-fi-for-small-bandwidth as some kind of VHS retro "experience". Since you posted first I guess you get a bigger chunk of the royalties for that idea. ;^)

1. frank ly

Thank you for reminding me what date it is. I'll read more carefully for the rest of the day.

1. Cliff

As with all the best terrible ideas, it's not that bad - Instagram showed there's a market for 'shabby chic'-ification of 16Mpx crisp, bright images of lunch. And look at the appeal of the low-fi titles for 'Better Call Saul' - those guys worked hard to make them look that shit (and it works)

2. Christian Berger

Actually I somewhere have a report on an early "video on demand" system

It as an experimental system installed at the headend of a pilot project.

You could order your movie via the remote. Then someone at the headend would run to the archive to get the tape, and put that tape into a VCR. You could then control that VCR.

3. Sir Gaz of Laz

Shared...

...and waiting so see how many folks read this and like before realising the date...

4. PleebSmash
    Mushroom

REAL

VERY REAL CONTENT

5. TheresaJayne

The developers slogan is what gave it away for me.

I bet loads more people believe this one, BTW this is the first April Fool I recognised this year. (06:45am)

1. Alister

What gave it away for me, was this sentence...

The Reg understands Netflix will announce a 41 day countdown for the service's commencement, starting at 4:01 today.

Even though it is in bastardised US notation...

1. TitterYeNot
        Coat

"What gave it away for me, was this sentence..."

Dear Sir,

Absolute rot! The author clearly means the 4th of January, and is referring to the anniversary of the defeat of Æthelred of Wessex by the Danes at the Battle of Reading.

Couldn't be more obvious as a clue really. Now where's today's crossword?

Yours etc.,

Herbert Smythe-Podderington, Tunbridge Wells

2. Tom 13

Re: What gave it away for me

If it took you that long, you really need to have your BS detector fixed.

My sensors started going off at the quote from the devs at the end of the third paragraph. The claxons were at maximum with the very next sentence.

6. Alister

"classic 1980s programs, and modern content, are streamed in a form that approximates the unbelievably bad video quality of the VHS video cassette."

I thought they'd been doing this for years!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Frankly, I'd rather have consistent VHS quality than the periodic gross image artifacts, complete loss of sound, and !@#$% screen aspect-ratio shifts I get from Netflix now.

Fortunately, I can have that, when I'm watching by myself, because I still have two VHS VCRs: a late-model Sony that's about as good as consumer-grade VHS machines got, and a Panasonic that's now 23 years old but still going strong.

7. beep54
    Happy

Good one

But oddly, it really doesn't sound like that bad an idea....

1. It'sa Mea... Mario

Re: Good one

'But oddly, it really doesn't sound like that bad an idea....'

Except the name of course..

8. Dave 126 Silver badge

No Joke...

I know of an independent DVD Rental shop in Bristol that still has a small number of VHS cassettes in its library - films that never received a DVD release. Should a customer rent one, the shop will lend them a VHS machine for free.

Occasionally they turn their web-cam on - so they could in theory point the cam at the TV on their desk and stream VHS movies at one frame every two seconds...

9. Mage Silver badge
    Joke

Yes, Pre-warned

I woke up to crazy article on BBC R4 about football needing more goals.

Realised must be April 1 again.

1. Tim Jenkins

Re: Yes, Pre-warned

That was the joke story? Damn...

10. MJI Silver badge

I used to rent lots of tapes

But not Vhs.

Would not stoop that low.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
      Happy

Re: I used to rent lots of tapes

I used to rent Betamax tapes.

Well, my parents did. I just used to watch them.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: I used to rent lots of tapes

I did lots, the shop owner had the same top end model as me.

I may have a downvote for knocking the inferior format, but at least I saw all my 80s rental films with better picture and sound!

11. phil dude
    Joke

In other news....

The MPAA has adopted Bittorrent as the official distribution channel for the industries best output. In a press release today they said:

"We had so much joy making these prized artistic creations, we just want them to get to the lovely public in the most efficient way possible. We have moved the FBI warnings and arbitrary advertising content to a separate outlet, where you can purchase them for enjoyment at your leisure ."

P.

12. Kanhef

Digitizing and streaming content that had only been released on tape actually sounds like a decent idea; there's good money in the nostalgia business. If they didn't have the bollocks about degrading the quality, it would be very hard to tell if this is real or not.

13. dan1980

April 1 and all, but in this ridiculous hipster market, it wouldn't be that surprising. It's ironic don't you know . . .

It's also a perfectly good marketing stunt - if they were releasing a whole batch of re-mastered versions of 80s movies and TV shows then having the option of streaming them in VHS quality would be a semi-amusing gimmick. Especially if the shows/movies were particularly products of their time.

When I think of the Halo Anniversary re-make, you could swap between the original graphics and the re-done version. That was cool and made you appreciate how far it had come. (Though I still preferred the original style most of the time : )

14. Christian Berger

BTW, Image fail

The VCR in the picture is a D-VHS one, the attempt to provide a digital variant of VHS. Unfortunately it was stopped by movie executives who demanded digital inputs to be disabled when those devices went to the manufacturer for maintenance.

Anyow, D-VHS would record something from 2.8 to 28 MBit/s so it's probably _much_ better than what Netflix currently offers.

15. mach37

I blame Madison Avenue. Has no one but me been aware of the fad (I hope) of TV commercials in the USA using degraded, faded colors, unsharp video? All while 4K TV sets are trying to gain a larger audience, ads are going low-res."Progress," whither goest thou?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like