back to article Jailed Brit con phishes prison, gets bail

A convicted British fraudster used a fake website and fake identities to trick prison officers into releasing him. Neil Moore — jailed for fraud worth £1,819,000 — used a smuggled mobile to post a website mirroring that of the Southwark Crown Court. He then emailed prison officers with instructions for his release, according …

1. Salts

You...

Just have to smile :-)

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Watch the post

He might try to mail himself out next time.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Watch the post

I'm not sure that the 'Waldo Jeffers' method has been all that succesful.

2. Cliff

Re: Watch the post

Maybe slice himself into postcards to be reassembled on the outside?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All I can think of is Moist Von Lipwig.

4. frank ly

Oh, the details

Using a mobile phone, he 'posted' a website that mirrored another one? I'd like to know more details about what he actually did but I suspect that we'll never know.

1. PrivateCitizen

Re: Oh, the details

I agree.

Did he use the phone to build the site or was that someone else? If he managed to code a phishing site entirely on a phone smuggled into jail, the man is a genius with very small fingers and a future of RSI.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

From reading the BBC article it's pretty clear that there's no website involved; he just registered a deceptive domain and used it to email the prison. Significantly less challenging than attempting to clone a website using a mobile phone!

It would also be nice if the author of this article could copy place names accurately - it's Southwark, not "Southwalk". Perhaps Southwalk was the typo the Beeb mentioned that the cheeky felon made, but it's not a London borough.

1. Elmer Phud

" it's Southwark, not "Southwalk"."

Nah, it ain't.

It's 'Suvvahk' innit!

2. Elmer Phud
        Thumb Up

"Did he use the phone to build the site or was that someone else? If he managed to code a phishing site entirely on a phone smuggled into jail, the man is a genius with very small fingers and a future of RSI."

Word --convert to HTML -- sorted!

If folks can fall for phishing, then a Word-built site will fool them, no problems.

1. Hans 1

>If folks can fall for phishing, then a Word-built site will fool them, no problems.

Certainly, because they use ie, the only browser that can render that shit.

Dunno who that was, but I think that must have been the fastest downvote ever, LOL - the site still says "9min to edit your comment".

2. Oninoshiko
      WTF?

You are aware that many phones today can run an SSH client, right?

I could code up a web site with nothing more then that and a server to talk to.

(although it sounds like that's not really what happened)

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

You are aware that many phones today can run an SSH client, right?

I could code up a web site with nothing more then that and a server to talk to.

Yes. Particularly a phishing site, where nearly all of the content is going to be stolen (statically or fetched as necessary) anyway.

My phone has a physical keyboard, and really it's only the lack of Esc and Ctrl keys1 that would pose any impediment to editing one of my sites over ssh, or working on the phone itself via one of the Android shell apps.

1For vim, and vi-mode in bash or ksh, obviously. And yes, I know keyboard mappings are available for both local and remote use; they just slow things down.

1. PrivateCitizen

I am not saying it isnt possible to build a site on a phone and SSH in to transfer it.

However, this is a phone which someone managed to smuggle into prison so I assume it isnt a Note4. There isnt really the scope for creating sensible graphics and testing anything is going to be challenging.

So either there was no site and it was purely phishing emails (much easier to spoof, although getting the garbage most GSI type messages include might be a pain in the backside) or he has small enough fingers that spending the time coding wont cripple him.

Which was the RSI bit.

5. psychonaut

missed a potentially scam busting typo

" but only noticed as missing three days when after solicitors turned up to meet him in prison."

He's not the only one then

6. thomas k.

work release?

Surprising that GCHQ hasn't sprung him and given him a job by now - he seems quite talented

7. b166er

Wonder how long was left on his sentence and why he turned himself in?

Perhaps he had to do something and needed to be out to do it.

'spose I should go read the Beeb article.

1. Richard 26

"Wonder how long was left on his sentence and why he turned himself in?"

He hasn't been sentenced yet, he was awaiting trial. They've posted the story now, because he's just now been convicted (he pleaded guilty) and there is no possibility of prejudicing a trial. That is the conventional time to do a full press report in the UK.

And it was the 10th March 2014 that he originally escaped.

2. Chris G

Bank Transfer

He probably needed to get some funds into the right place for when his sentence is finished.

An even safer account.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"A lot of criminal ingenuity harbours in the mind of Mr Moore"

I know it was a lawyer who said it but that's no excuse. Harbour is a transitive verb.

1. gloucester

According to Chambers harbour is transitive when giving but not when taking, which would make the lawyer's phrasing unusual but syntactically correct.

harbour 4 intrans to take shelter.

ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon herebeorg from here army + beorg protection.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I can't confirm this because the current edition of the Concise OED doesn't say whether a verb is transitive or intransitive. The Fucking OED.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

the current edition of the Concise OED doesn't say whether a verb is transitive or intransitive

For the Nth time, the OED is descriptive. It can only confirm that intransitive use of "harbour" has been observed. And it has. Right here.

Google Ngram Viewer shows plenty of instances of "harbour in", and variants thereof, though declining in frequency quite sharply 1820-1860 and more slowly thereafter. Most are false positives, of course, where "harbour" is being used as a noun or otherwise not a case of intransitive use; but consider e.g. "Never did I think / Such tyranny could harbour in thy breast", from Metastasio's "Hypsipyle". Everyone remembers "Hypsipyle", right?

9. PassiveSmoking

Beaten by the best?

Is it just me or is the heaping of back-handed compliments on the perpetrator feel like an attempt to deflect blame away from people who should have been smart enough to notice they were being scammed?

"That Homer feller grifted you good"

"Well son, there's no shame in being beaten by the best."

"But he didn't seem so smar - "

"We were beaten by the best, son."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Beaten by the best?

Not just you, but there's more.

Just because these companies thought that he represented BOA or others does not mean that what they were doing was legal.

I would like to know who or what the accounts provided safety from.

Did the judge ask or is it assumed that if a company wants to move large amounts of money over the phone discreetly they are probably doing something legal?

10. sisk

Gotta hand it to him

I have as low an opinion of phishers and scammers as the next guy, but I've got to respect someone who can pull this off. Granted some gullibility of the jailers helped, but still it's a good bit of scam work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gotta hand it to him

"Granted some gullibility of the jailers helped, but still it's a good bit of scam work."

with the low paid cannon fodder that G4S and co use, I'm surprised he didn't just email them from his own account and get the same result

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is the world coming to..

Scammers like this should be locked up!

Oh, wait..

Must have been an interesting court session with many sniggering..

12. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

It's no suprise the staff fell for it...

The only pay those G4 types by the hour.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Industry Standard

Hands up whose job involves obeying emailed instructions that nobody's checked are authentic..

Or better, if you get an email from a third party asking you to enter your company username and password into their website (and then you ring your Infosec, and find out it's genuine)

14. ecofeco Silver badge

He built a website with a phone?

He built a website with a phone? I'm not buying it. Not saying it's impossible, but all the things that have to work right make it highly improbable.

There has to be more to this story.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: He built a website with a phone?

Oh, ah. Just saw the explanation above. He registered a domain and then used it for email.

Now that I understand.

15. Anonymous John

Um

"used a smuggled mobile to post a website mirroring that of the Southwark Crown Court."

"using legitimate personal details (including registering the Website in the name of Detective Inspector Chris Soole) in a bid to make the scam look legitimate."

Why would a fake Court website registered in the name of a DI look legitimate? And who would check the registration anyway?

16. Stevie

Bah!

The only way this story could be any better would be if the guy had been named "Errol Phipps".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like