back to article Apple TV gets its first critical security patch

Apple has patched a security hole in its Apple TV box that made it possible for remote hackers to access a user's network and spy on traffic passing through it. The flaw, which was patched in an update Apple released today, is the same vulnerability that plagued OS X until Apple released an update late last month. It resides …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Eddleman

More proof...

...that Apple's products are not tightly-locked boxes, but have their shares of flaws that ALL OSes do.

Maybe with this sort of shit happening those twunts who parade "better security" around will slam their pieholes shut.

It'd be doing everyone a favor.

2. sleepy

Exactly how did this vulnerability "plague" OS X?

The plague only plagues you if you get infected. Were any actual exploits published? Was any one of the millions of OS X installations compromised by it?

3. Blain Hamon

Nah,

We'll still keep parading "Better Security" around, because it's a relative term, not an absolute.

Sure, it's less secure than BSD or Linux, mostly in things like not needing to be root to mount .dmg files and the like, but there was never a claim of best, only better than Windows.

Which, let's face it, pretty much everyone is. Beyond the red herring of larger market share, there's all the backward compatibility luggage, creeping featurism, and huge inertia about.

4. Dillon Pyron

Security numbers

Sure Apple's had a couple of security lapses this year. But MS has had more in the last month.

OTOH, my neighbor's just got an Apple TV. I wonder if they know what they'll be watching tonight. I do. :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like