back to article Layla enjoys a Sanskrit makeover: Clapton set to become one of several Gods

Indian musician Krish Ashok is pleasing ears worldwide with a Sanskrit version of Eric Clapton's classic Layla, dubbed लीला, or "Leela". However, while the track is an agreeable homage to the original, its linguistic reach is limited. According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, while Sanskrit is a recognised language in India, …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Happy

Hehe

This is what you get when you translate poetry into a language which is so strict that it was once considered a candidate for human-machine interaction.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Hehe

Wait till they get round to "Cocaine".

1. solo

Hehe

According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia:

"With more than 220000 (100000 shloka or couplets) verses and about 1.8 million words in total, the Mahābhārata is the longest epic poem in the world."

+

"The Mahabharata ... is one of the two major Sanskrit epics of ancient India,"

+

"About 1.8 million words in total, the Mahabharata is roughly ten times the length of the Iliad and the Odyssey combined,"

Comment: An individual's ability as a poet doesn't define capabilities of a language.

2. 45RPM Silver badge

Heh Heh. The first bit of Layla looks like a willy. Snigger.

3. Doogs

Which Leela?

Doctor Who or Futurama?

4. Mark 85
    Holmes

Hmmm.... Clapton and Sanskrit. Jerry Garcia and Bulgarian Folk Music. What hell were they smoking back then and why didn't they share?

Icon---- for the pipe-------->

1. DrBobK

Uncle John's Band

Fine piece of cultural appropriation. There may have been more than smoking to it though.

5. Cliff

Pretty good translation

If the round-trip translation is indicative, and it rhymes, or at least line lengths hit all the right beats.

I've seen far bigger liberties taken with French translations TBH

6. Chris Miller
    Joke

लीला

(which means "Garland of Flowers" in Thai)

7. Sealand
    Angel

Check first

Before posting articles, El Reg's writers should check who's a god and who's not.

"... set to become ..."

Ha!

8. Identity
    Facepalm

And I thought

Sanskrit is a written, not spoken language.

("It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.")

9. Trainee grumpy old ****

Some of his other tracks on Sound Cloud are worth a listen too

I quite like his version of Don't Fear the Reaper - https://soundcloud.com/krishashok/mrityum-ma

No idea if the lyrics are true to the original.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Some of his other tracks on Sound Cloud are worth a listen too

Thank you! I believe that qualifies as making my week, not just day.

10. Frumious Bandersnatch

Govinda

So if this is a hit, it'll only be the second one in Sanskrit. As Wikipedia has it, the Kula Shaker version is "unique in being the only British Top Ten hit to be sung entirely in Sanskrit."

(so I guess that also means that Sanskrit isn't just a written language, to answer Identity's post above)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon