back to article Tax fraud fugitive nabbed after posting selfies

A US man charged with tax fraud and identity theft has been arrested after fleeing authorities and allegedly posting bragging selfies on Twitter. Lance Ealy, 28, of Ohio was arrested in a raid Wednesday in Atlanta by federal authorities after he skipped trial on charges he purchased stolen Social Security numbers and personal …

1. Roger B

The self surveillance society

Its almost like we don't need old, low res CCTV any more, almost weekly some super brain criminal takes a photo of themselves taunting the police, bragging of their exploits or laying out their future endeavours, even using a low tech iPhone camera produces better results than CCTV.

2. yakitoo

Thank God....

..... that this ia all being documented in the Darwin Awards.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Thank God....

Darwin Awards are only for stupidity that removes a person from the gene pool permanently (usually, but not always, by death).

1. ItsNotMe
        Pint

"Darwin Awards are only for stupidity that removes a person from the gene pool permanently (usually, but not always, by death)."

And remember...there are no Lifeguards at the Gene Pool.

1. Fungus Bob
          Devil

So stay at the shallow end!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real story here

is how well secured is the data you are requested^M forced to hand over to the State. Anyone can just fucking BUY IT online. :-(

1. Mark 85

Re: The real story here

It does make one have to wonder how many times has Social Security or some other government agency been broken into but never reported. The insurance companies are getting hit hard so I would expect the Feds to be a prime target also.

4. Ian Michael Gumby

To the IRS... Here's a free clue!

The IP Address ranges that are used by those in the prison system are a known and static group.

It would be very easy to monitor and flag any online tax returns filed by someone using a computer on one of those networks as one that may require further review.

This is where the government should easily use big data to route out fraud.

There are other things that could be done which would also limit fraud, only they lack the brain power to think outside the box...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To the IRS... Here's a free clue!

The IRS should let people optionally add a PIN to their records that must be included on any return that is submitted to prevent this. So long as they make setting the PIN on your record secure, maybe you have to go to the post office in the same ZIP code as your tax home and show your ID and submit the info to them or something.

1. midcapwarrior

Not sure if that's sarcasm but the pin is an option when you efile.

criminals get around this by filing early before the claimant does.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know about the e-file PIN, but as you say the problem is that it isn't persistent. It isn't foolproof, since your accountant could be hacked, but the main source of the data used for this scam is getting a list of names and SSNs. Sadly that's all you need to file under someone else's name.

I don't know the details of how the scam works exactly, but I would think if they filed under my name they wouldn't know how much income and withholding was on my W2. I guess the crooks are relying on the IRS helpfully 'correcting' a flawed return that doesn't include accurate info, but they need to start setting those aside for extra checking for fraud - or just plain kick them back and make the person refile.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like