back to article MacBooks slimming down with Sammy's new 3D NAND diet pills

The 3D NAND revolution starts here. According to reports, Apple has signed a deal with Samsung to use its 3D V-NAND SSDs in future MacBooks, expected some time in 2016. The Korean Times estimates the deal is worth billions of dollars. Instead of having a single 2D or planar layer (as most current MLC flash dies do) 3D NAND …

1. Michael Thibault

Wait

Isn't the iPhone Apple's one thin mint?

1. Richard Taylor 2

Re: Wait

Just one waffer thin mint? And look what it did to Mr Corporate? (Disclaimer - I love my Mac book pro retina :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TRIM support as well?

I've got a Macbook Pro with an EVO 840 in it. Yosemite doesn't allow TRIM to be activated as it's "not a supported drive". This could be hacked under Mavericks, but kernel signing has put paid to that...

Probably silly to think they'll make it work with the 840 in future?

1. Mike Bell

Re: TRIM support as well?

Unlikely, if this guy is to be believed.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Use Trim Enabler which disables kernel signing on Yosemite and enables TRIM. I've got a Yosemite Mac with an EVO 850 and it works fine.

3. Snapper

FFS - get a grip! The latest 10.10.4 update gives you the Apple sanctioned ability to enable TRIM.

http://tinyurl.com/pvhf5w4

3. Kevin Johnston

Errr What?

So Apple are reducing their reliance on Samsung by using more Samsung derived components?

4. Malik01

5 year warranty for the EVO, not 10 years.

Please correct your info. The 850 EVO (TLC) comes with 5 year warranty and 75TB rating.

I believe its the 850 Pro (MLC) which has the 10 year warranty (and 150 TB rating + also uses 3D NAND). Impressive either way imo.

FYI, the 840 Pro was declared the winner of an 18 month long SSD endurance test by TechReport where it managed to achieve 2.5 Petabytes of writes before dying, despite being rated for 100TB (5 year warranty).

The 850 Pro is thought to be even more durable given that Samsung has increased its warranty and rating to 10 years and 150TB. Hopefully someone (with money to burn) will test its endurance accordingly.

1. Malik01

Re: 5 year warranty for the EVO, not 10 years.

To put all this into context, I have only managed to write 7 TBs to my laptop ssd, having used it everyday (for more than just browsing) over 2.5 years.

1. Nate Amsden

I don't consider myself a "heavy" user of my laptop (compared to some folks I know anyway), it is my daily driver.. Samsung's app says about 5.9TB of data written since my 850 Pro was installed in late August 2014 I want to say. I know there's a way to get this in linux(where I spend 98% of the time booted to), but forgot what tool off hand. Good to know that even at this level wear wise I have a long way left to go.

1. James Cane

If you're reading the Register, you're probably a heavy user compared to the mean.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

> If you're reading the Register, you're probably a heavy user compared to the mean.

Yes, those large article images take their toll.

2. joe_bruin

> If you're reading the Register, you're probably a heavy user compared to the mean.

There's a reason they keep portly Reg readers in the back office.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

So that's a year's lead time to change the connector and voltages on an EVO 850 so it's all nice and proprietary for the MacBook then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like