back to article $30 Landfill Android mobes are proof that capitalism ROCKS

I've mentioned around here before that the shipping container has been one of the most revolutionary technologies of our times. Similarly, I've said that the mobile phone has had a vast effect on human wealth. The TL;DR version of mobes is that 10 per cent of the population with a mobile increases GDP by 0.5 per cent each and …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

There's no way that landfill Android can be considered capitalism done right

Landfill Android mobiles need vastly overpowered (therefore overpriced) hardware to do what a Nokia featurephone from several years ago did and even then it's a miserable user experience. So thanks MS for destroying Nokia.

Next question, does the average wallah deserve a miserable user experience for their primary Internet connection? It seems that if capitalism has provided the phone with adverts then the answer is yes.

1. Calleb III

Re: There's no way that landfill Android can be considered capitalism done right

"So thanks MS for destroying Nokia."

Nokia destroyed itself. By not moving with the rest of the world, insisting on developing it's own platform based on Symbian using a bogged down overblown development process that simply couldn't compete with the new kids on the block resulting in $100s of millions down the drain in canned projects.

It's a dog eat dog world and sadly Nokia handest making arm got eaten.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: There's no way that landfill Android can be considered capitalism done right

Yes, the phone division got eaten, with the help of Elop who oddly seemed to take the wrong turn at every fork in the road (burning Symbian instead of transitioning to a new platform, not selling the N9 in any market that mattered and burying Meamo/MeeGo, buying Meltemi and then burying it as if he didn't want anyone else to get hold of it, betting the farm on Windows Phone, etc... etc...).

1. Calleb III

They didn't have a choice by then. Nokia was way behind the major players in the Android camp like HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc. to consider joining them as a minor player. Instead placed their last bet with the only real alternative to iOS and Android - Windows Phone, unfortunately for everyone it was again a losing bet.

Windows phone is not dead, and with the recent news of aggressive marketing of free Win 10 licenses for devices such as cheapo tablets, Stick PCs etc. I expect slow but steady growth in the Windows phone share of the market. It will not come to truly rival iOS and Android though.

2. Bruce Hoult

history repeats

Do you know what you sound like? I'm reminded *so* much of those MS-DOS die hards when Windows 95 was already out.

Early Android was pretty much crap, but even an iPhone fanatic has to admit that Lollipop and even Kitkat aren't terrible. There's no real reason to switch from iOS to Android (or Mac to Windows) but for those without an investment in apps and accessories there isn't a lot of downside either.

Recent Windows phone too.

But anything pre-iPhone is positively primitive. We've got the cheap computing power now, there's no reason not to use it. The better phones now have more computing power than Mac and Windows laptops had when the iPhone came out.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: history repeats

Try a landfill Android and then compare it to an old Symbian 3 phone which gets by on 256MB RAM and 600mHz CPU. Then wonder where the extra computing power has gone.

1. Cris E

Did the old Symbian cost $30? Because power and efficiency and even individual capabilities don't really matter much once you achieve a decent base level of smartphone features, and current Android, Windows and iOS are well above that level. So the history questions are sort of completely irrelevant except for folks unable to let go of the past.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Android does have a decent base level of smartphone features but they are a trying experience at the cheap and cheerless level. So either you find other candidates apart from Android or you ship hardware which is overpowered so that Android just (about) runs.

So we're praising capitalism yet it can't find an alternative to this combination of software and hardware which better suits Keralan fishermans' needs at $30? (More responsive and usable browser as it's going to be used as their primary Internet access, perhaps a battery that lasts more than a day...) On reflection it doesn't really rock that much.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> Android does have a decent base level of smartphone features but they are a trying experience at the cheap and cheerless level. So either you find other candidates apart from Android or you ship hardware which is overpowered so that Android just (about) runs.

I'm not sure why you're getting so many downvotes here. Symbian as a mobile platform had a huge amount going for it. With it's event driven infrastructure and well engineered internal design it was awesome on a low power machine. Given sufficient work since then, it could have been as beautiful to look at as modern interfaces are. Displays and processing technology have moved on so much since that last decent Symbian phone. There's every reason to believe that if the same kind of effort was put into the Symbian GUI experience as has been for Android or iOS it would look just as good and would require a fraction of the power.

1. Danny 14

jellybean onwards was a decent platform. JB didn't need epic hardware to run either, I imagine the screen quality is the price factor rather than a cheap dual core SOC.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Another ignorant fool. This isn't strictly about Nokia or Symbian reaching that low price point. At that time Nokia had feature phones and S40-phones for that market. The original plan was to phase out feature phones and use S40 for the low end, shift S^3 into the middle ground and use Meego for the high-end. IMHO a good plan which they should have sticked to it.

The real issue is that the US companies, with their korean and chinese fronts, have destroyed all European native tech. There is no European handset maker (or telecom innovator) of any significance today. That's the real issue.

Plus the fact that these ultra cheap Android phones are rubbish! They ware rubbish in the past and are still rubbish today.

2. Manu T

You, sir, have idea what you're talking about.

A "modern" Symbian Phone is even today a very capable Phone with a lot of things done beter than Android, WP or iOS. E.g. the Nokia 808 has an extremely loud speaker, has native build-in call recording at exceptional quality, a proper file manager, both cloud an non-cloud syncing, it has themes that changes a lot more than a stupid launcher does. And in this particular case STILL has the very best still imaging ever on a phone. While I can't hear my SGS5 when its my coat in a leather pouch, can't do full call recording (which include recording using a BT earpiece) without rooting and tampering and even then with only one particular app. And that's just a few examples. People should stop comparing an N95 or older with the later Belle models. Nokia made some terrific handsets in the past starting with the N8. Not to mention that everybody seems to fotget that they HAD their Symbian successor planned. Harmattan! That N9 was the ultimate proof that Nokia could deliver. If it wasn't for that moron than Meego would today be that 3rd ecosystem with a lot more love from the dev-community than that crippled shit from Microsoft.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But anything pre-iPhone is positively primitive."

When the iphone came out, what it could do vs my Symbian phone was basic...the only good thing was the larger screen.. it took years for them to get simple copy-paste functionality!

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Alien

"Higher prices mean cheaper electricity for everyone"

Is it just me who feels they are being sold snake oil when reading these Worstall articles, are being bamboozled with smoke and mirrors and claims that 1+1=3 so long as you do the maths the right way?

I don't know why but I always have a suspicion that I am being taken for a ride but am not bright enough to know what ride that is. I am left thinking "if you say so" with a feeling of having been suckered into not seeing the trick being played. My gut feeling is there's some logical fallacy or similar buried in all of it but I just can't see where that is, and I don't have the energy or time to unravel it all.

1. Tim Worstal

Re: "Higher prices mean cheaper electricity for everyone"

"I don't know why but I always have a suspicion that I am being taken for a ride but am not bright enough to know what ride that is."

And I'm not bright enough to pull off a trick like that consistently either.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I don't know why but I always have a suspicion that I am being taken for a ride but am not bright enough to know what ride that is.

I'm sure you're bright enough, but perhaps you haven't spent too much time thinking about these things? If Mr Worstall inspires you to learn and think more about these topics more then he'll have done you a service, regardless of whether your eventual conclusion is different to his or in agreement.

Even if you think he is selling snake oil, then at least his articles will inoculate you against similar arguments from others.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Boffin

I share your unease. Perhaps it's the tide of history, but where or what is the moon?

I still think the key question is, "What is money?"

1. Any mouse Cow turd

Money is Debt. Simple as that. Before money, people traded. If you didn't have anything that the guy you were trading with wanted then there was no trade. Debt\money allows a trade to occur with a deference of payment until a later date. As more people get involved in this it makes sense to trade debts

For example, Alice owes Bob 3 sheep and Bob owes Chaz 3 sheep. Bob can either transfer the debt or try and defer payment to Chaz in the hope that Alice pays up and he can shear the sheep before passing them on to Chaz, thus having something else to trade with and so it goes on...

Money is debt, investment of debt can lead to the creation of the ability to create more debt \money.

Of course if the sheep had died whilst I'm Bobs possession then Chaz might get a bit annoyed but that's the risk you take with investments.

1. lucki bstard

'Before money, people traded'

Or money was the sheep? After all what is money but an abstract idea represented as a symbol?

I'm not too sure what your point is, but then again I don't think you know either.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

I still think the key question is, "What is money?"

Money is energy. The stock market is potential energy but only some of it is really there.

3. tony2heads

Re: "What is money"

Money (as used now-a-days) is a con trick.

In ancient times it was a lump of precious (shiny) metal.

Later it was a 'promise to pay' written on a piece of paper that could be converted to precious metal.

For some it was silver (Sterling) or some gold (Gold Standard)

Now it is just a promise that you may get something in exchange for the piece of paper.

1. cray74

Re: "What is money"

"In ancient times it was a lump of precious (shiny) metal. ... Now it is just a promise that you may get something in exchange for the piece of paper."

In other words, money used to be a lump of slightly useful metal that could you could exchange for labor and things. Those little shiny bits of gold or silver, which didn't till fields like an iron tool or provide milk like cows, were somehow arbitrarily assigned lots of value by the market. And the value of that metal rises and falls with supply and demand. Sounds a lot like a paper currency with a better cheering section.

3. Fibbles

The logical fallacy is in assuming correlation is causation. Does 10% of the population owning a smartphone really increase GDP by 0.5% per year? Or is it simply that in growing economies some people can finally afford to own smartphones.

Likewise the 'miracle' of a $30 android phone owes as much to Moore's law as it does to free market capitalism.

1. Craigness

"...owes as much to Moore's law as it does to free market capitalism."

Moore's law is a product of free market capitalism.

1. Fibbles

Moore's law is a product of free

market capitalism.

Moore's law is a product of technological advancement. Technological advancement is sometimes aided by capitalism but it is not reliant upon it.

1. Craigness

"Moore's law is a product of technological advancement."

...which is a product of free market capitalism. If you don't have to compete you don't have to get better. If you're not allowed to compete, you can't make something better.

Explain the adoption of the steam engine without reference to the profit motive!

1. Tapeador
              Stop

@Craigness Re: "Higher prices mean cheaper electricity for everyone"

Er, Moore's law related to chips whose major leaps occurred during a contract for a state aerospace project. That's not free market capitalism. It's barely even capitalism. And I have no idea what it means for a market to be free. Surely you just mean a legal, regulatory, peaceful sandbox in which people transact with a greater or lesser degree of state interference in their transactions - and in which the state is everywhere in any case in facilitating the conditions for those transactions. So this 'free markets' idea seems absurd.

1. Craigness

Re: @Craigness "Higher prices mean cheaper electricity for everyone"

@Tapeador

Markets are not entirely free but the major characteristics exist in many markets. Namely, price determined by supply and demand, and no external barriers to entry. Moore's law exists in free markets and a state contract does not absolve a producer of the need to compete for other contracts. If they stagnated they would not have any private customers after their contract ended, and would not get another state contract either. There is always an imperative to improve.

1. Tapeador

Re: @Craigness "Higher prices mean cheaper electricity for everyone"

That's fine but that's a form of highly bounded freedom you describe, you're talking about the limited application of bounded market mechanisms in select fields where it would be beneficial to do so, not free markets. "Free markets" means the free play of all factors of production and market determination of the conditions surrounding markets. It's an Austrian-school economist's paradise and a nightmare for the real world.

"Price determined by supply and demand" describes non-interference in markets by non-market actors, which is impossible unless non-market actors cease to exist or act. I think you really mean "price not fixed by the state". Which itself is (respectfully) a nonsense, because the state MUST intervene whenever supply and demand levels generate morally/politically unacceptable outcomes/prices.

2. Tim Worstal

The research was done by comparing economies at similar levels of development, their growth rates, and mobile phone penetration. We're as sure as we ever are here about causation, yes.

Or, alternatively, Moore's Law is just a sector specific example of what capitalism does. As more than one economist has pointed out, we do actually know the date that Elizabeth I received her first pair of stockings. Capitalism's achievement was that Victorian factory girls had them too.

4. Craigness

There may be snake oil

Read (or listen to) people like Nicole Foss who make a good point about how credit and resources (energy in particular) are the drivers of economic growth. With credit we have effectively built capital and bought products with money we've not yet earned, and we rely on growth to enable us to earn that money in the future. But declining returns on energy make that growth more difficult to achieve. For example, a Texas "nodding donkey" well can extract about 100 barrels of oil using only the energy from a single barrel to power the well. In a growing world economy we need to turn to Alberta tar sands for our energy needs, but for the same barrel of oil input the energy you can extract from that environment is far lower. The growth of energy has to slow, and efficiency gains might not be enough to counter it, meaning economic growth has to slow, meaning we can't pay off the credit.

Credit has enabled us to bring forward consumption from a future that might not exist! The $30 phone may be a mirage rather than a miracle.

On the other hand, it's just Malthus' theory with some finance mixed in.

5. Tapeador
      Thumb Up

@Jason Re: "Higher prices mean cheaper electricity for everyone"

I think what you're describing is the sense of being asked to evaluate Tim's claim, without the doctrinal tools, i.e. the teaching, to do so. The answer is to find a well-written introductory economics textbook which covers micro- and macro-economics, and read it thoughtfully, thinking about each formula and how they might and might not manifest in business, and making a note of each one and any phenomena you can think of yourself as being associated with it. And read the FT or business pages at least a little until you're satisfied with your understanding of how things work. Then when someone makes an economic argument, or claim, you can evaluate it from the standpoint of someone who has considered and is aware of the fundamental bases, upon which the discipline rests, and which inform the fundamental ideological or doctrinal commitments, which underpin different schools of economic thought.

Thumbs up for admitting you don't know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Tapeador: Micro and macro formulas

"The answer is to find a well-written introductory economics textbook which covers micro- and macro-economics, and read it thoughtfully, thinking about each formula and how they might and might not manifest in business, and making a note of each one and any phenomena you can think of yourself as being associated with it. "

And there's the problem, believing that the formulas are actually ACCURATE.

As the 2008 crash proved, the problem with the economic theory is that they create formulas to explain the theoretical workings of a economy - either micro or macro - yet cannot factor in human reactions to the economic forces driving the underlying variables, thereby relegating economics to a vapid pseudoscience as it fails to accurately forecast the true solutions.

Not a SINGLE formula accounted for homeowners walking away from their equity and investment - but they did. Leaving the economists high and dry in their theories of efficient markets and controlled growth. The economists were stunned: what do you mean that people walked out of their houses, their down payments and their mortgage commitments?! That shouldn't happen!

Yet, it did.

For decades the economists have been studying theories, patting themselves on the back in their self-wonderment of their abilities...and, for decades, every boom and bust cycle has left them in their own ashes trying to figure out where they went wrong. For decades. Their self-glorifying formulas explain what happened before but, since they fundamentally fail to take into account human unpredictability, they cannot predict what happens in the future. The two major schools of economic theory - "freshwater" and "saltwater" - have argued between each other for 40 years as to who better explains patterns based upon past performance, attempting to say that "Since it worked before, it will work again". Usually, but not always - yet the formulas state that point, "Always". Reality hasn't worked like that (yet).

If ANYTHING is to be learned from the past 7 years is that truth - economic studies took a BEATING in credibility that they have yet to recover from. The formulas are fantasy if they have no relation to actual events.

1. cray74

Re: @Tapeador: Micro and macro formulas

"Not a SINGLE formula accounted for homeowners walking away from their equity and investment - but they did. ... The economists were stunned ..."

Interesting strawman fallacy, but still a strawman fallacy. Economists do try to account for human factors, market rationality, and other behaviors that lead to market bubbles. There's an entire field called "behavioral economics."

Perhaps instead of "economists" you really meant "market traders who got caught up in a real estate and cheap money bubble and didn't want to believe the market would ever crash, ever again."

3. Calleb III

What, no cat videos?

"However, consumers will have to buy data packs for accessing audio and video streaming which are not included in the free internet."

So no cat videos and pr0n, not much of an internet is it...

4. leon clarke

The invention that's done most for living standards in the last 50 years

An interesting question, but I'm going to argue for better semi-dwarf rice.

5. Andrew Mayo

Have you had a closer look at that 'landfill' recently?

I'm not sure that 'Android Landfill' is an entirely fair term these days.

I picked up an Alcatel Android phone yesterday from EE for £19.99 PAYG. The brand is being used by the Chinese company TCS.

This has a dual-core 1GHz Mediatek processor, 512M RAM, 480 X 320 3.5 inch screen, removable battery and micro sd card slot. It runs Android 4.2.

Sure, the camera is fairly crappy and the front screen is plastic, not glass. However it came with almost no bloatware, runs surprisingly fast, and benchmarked up with Antutu at around 10,000 compared to my Note 3 at around 30,000. The only really weak point was 3D graphics, perhaps not surprisingly, but most of the detailed benchmark figures such as integer and floating point performance were around half those of the Note 3.

It also has Bluetooth and GPS, by the way. And an FM radio. It came with a charger and USB cable plus a set of earbuds.

A device like this in a developing nation would be a truly empowering piece of kit. As it is, I am amazed you can buy something like this for not a lot more than my daily commute costs me, or, looking at it another way, I could pick up 30 of these, and equip a whole class of students, for the cost of one iPhone 6.

And this is just the beginning of 2015. What will the Chinese be able to produce for this price point in a year or two?. We may chuckle, those of us who can afford to drop hundreds of quid on the latest top-of-the-range smartphone, but this little device acquitted itself incredibly well for the price, and I think it's entirely unfair to call it 'landfill'. For goodness sake, even a Raspberry Pi costs more!.

1. gotes

Re: Have you had a closer look at that 'landfill' recently?

The main problem I have found with these "landfill" devices is that you will be stuck with whatever (probably already a couple of years old) version of Android it was supplied with. A few years down the line you find that less and less apps are supported, even though the hardware could run a newer version, the manufacturers are only interested in selling more cheap devices.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you will be stuck with whatever (probably already a couple of years old) version of Android it was supplied with

But if that version is adequate to do what the phone needs to do, who cares?

2. Paul Shirley

gotes:"A few years down the line you find that less and less apps are supported"

What actually happens is Google removes a permission or 2 with each release, borks up some other support (usually claiming 'it was never meant to work that way') and generally breaks existing apps. Some apps will be fixed, some won't. In some ways it's better to *not* upgrade Android devices, my old Xperia never performed properly after upgrading past Gingerbread.

But the poor manufacturer update support will be a massively more dangerous problem for this market. I can afford to store no sensitive information on my phone, I have a more secure PC for that. These devices are going to be the only computing device for many and handling sensitive data. And they won't be secure enough.

2. Calleb III

And this is just the beginning of 2015. What will the Chinese be able to produce for this price point in a year or two?. We may chuckle, those of us who can afford to drop hundreds of quid on the latest top-of-the-range smartphone, but this little device acquitted itself incredibly well for the price.

Agree, but it's those of us that buy the expensive new gadgets ever demanding improvement, that enable for the old facilities, process and technology to propagate downstream and eventually allow for dirt cheap tech to flood the emerging markets.

The sad part is that a huge amount of the world population is so underdeveloped that they are leap frogging generations of tech, often jumping from no means of telecommunication to smart phone

3. kmac499

Landfill nope, more like Model T cars. standardised technology, built from cheap i.e. readily available hardware and software. Just like the Model T's that put America on wheels, low cost phones put communication in the hands of everyone. Just like most other enabling technologies they 'democratise' people cutting out the middle man and their supposed services. The phones don't need to be the fastest, flashiest or most feature packed out of the box they just need to met the needs of their owners.

My 4yo Android 2.2 HTC phone is still more than good enough for my needs. and is probably lower in function than current 'landfill' phones. I'll only change it when newer functionality such as 4g and NFC becomes necessary and cheap enough for me.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> more like Model T cars.

If only - Imagine if you were able to buy a Series 2/3 Landrover clone for 1/10 - 1/20 the price of the latest "Victoria Beckham Inspired" Range Rover

1. Danny 14

My Samsung galaxy s2 is still running, that has a 1.2ghz dual core and 1gb ram so apart from the better quality screen it is pretty much landfill specs. I suspect the extra RAM is the only thing keeping it relevant. I think jellybean was the last official update to the phone, and whilst it can be argued that the S2 is a 3 year old phone I can also be argued that it is only a 3 year old phone and quite capable. KitKat runs fine on my phone (praise be to XDA) and apart from a couple of battery changes it is running strong.

2. Tim Worstal

Well, looks like I'm about to lease a Golf clone for £100 a month, they pay all maintenance and insurance, I just cough up for petrol and tires.

Admittedly, I do have a mate at the Skoda factory but still....

4. Manu T

Let's talk again in a few months when the new has wained of. I predict that the Raspberry pi still works by then (I've got a RPI running headless for the past 2.5 years 24/7) while that phone....

6. x 7

"But by definition, if they are getting richer then they are producing more"

Not true. They may well be simply selling what they produce more efficiently, so reducing waste and increasing profitability. There was a recent report of this very phenomenon in the Indian fishing industry, where better communications enabled the fisherman to co-operatively harmonise landing times / sites / prices to mutual advantage and reduced waste. Fish captured wasn't increased - but fish sold was. Of course that has knock-on benefical effects as well: better nutrition will in the long term contribute to national wealth, while the reduced pressure on natural resources may help to stabilise the industry.

edit - report can be found at http://itidjournal.org/itid/article/viewArticle/241

with an overview at http://www.economist.com/node/9149142

1. Tim Worstal

It was here, by me, and it was sardine fishermen off Kerala.

""But by definition, if they are getting richer then they are producing more"

Not true. They may well be simply selling what they produce more efficiently,"

Yeah, but within economics, we'd probably call that more production. The "more usable production" point you're rightly making normally drops the "usable" as we all assume its there.

1. x 7

"Yeah, but within economics, we'd probably call that more production."

In which case you've just pointed out that economics misrepresents fact.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

More rubbish

"""But by definition, if they are getting richer then they are producing more"

Not true. They may well be simply selling what they produce more efficiently,"

Yeah, but within economics, we'd probably call that more production. The "more usable production" point you're rightly making normally drops the "usable" as we all assume its there."

No. More production means an increase in the real value of products produced. Reducing the costs [inputs] does not mean increasing production (Value of goods is the same, income is increased)

2. DragonLord

I believe that in some cases there was also less fish caught because they already knew that they wouldn't be able to sell as much as they could catch.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or another way of looking at it - by having better communication they were able to operate a cartel to restrict the amount of fish on the market and charge more

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

If you can do more things with use of the same resources, then you've increased production (and of course productivity). Or you may choose to still produce the same amount, in which case you're now doing it with fewer resources, so you've used the productivity gain and deployed the now freed up resources elsewhere.

El Reg (amongst other places) ran the fish story. I can't remember now if they ended up catching less fish - as they were wasting less. Or if they ended up wasting less, by landing more in the right ports, in which case more was produced from the same resources.

7. Dave 126 Silver badge

>better methods of communication always have grown the economy as getting information passed around is pretty much a definition of how to increase economic efficiency.

Terry Pratchett wrote about the impact of Clacks Towers on the economy of the Discworld, in Going Postal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_of_the_Discworld#The_clacks

1. Tim Worstal

Yes, and knowing Sir Pterry he'd probably read those original papers on the value of mobile phones to get the idea.

2. Lyndon Hills 1

GNU Terry Pratchett

here is the Reddit campaign to keep his name 'alive' GNU Terry Pratchett

8. codejunky Silver badge

Thumb up

I am enjoying the stream of pro-capitalism articles. The crash does seem to have brought out the socialists attacking capitalism as a failure with simplistic arguments. It is nice to read thought through analysis of important economic concepts.

Keep it up Tim

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A selfish view

Those in richer western countries might not see the benefit - or even see a drop - in living standard as the "better communication" that results in the growth of less developed countries makes them competitive for jobs that westerners do.

I'm not suggesting this is a bad thing for the world, but it is easy to see why those on the losing end have a harder time seeing the benefit. The larger question is whether raising the living standard of the less developed countries will eventually benefit the first world. Or rather than a "rising tide lifts all boats" we see all boats reach the same level eventually, meaning the rest of the world (or at least that part of it not preoccupied with wars, famine and other larger concerns) has to reach the level of the west before the "bottom 80%" of the people in the west once again start seeing real increases in wealth.

1. Tim Worstal

Re: A selfish view

Allow me to introduce you to an astonishingly good economics essay. So good it reduces me to incoherent foaming rage brought on by jealousy.

http://web.mit.edu/krugman/www/ricardo.htm

When Indian workers are as productive, on average, as UK workers then they will be paid the same as UK workers. And it will be Indian wages which rise to UK levels.

1. DragonLord

Interesting essay. Maybe you should go into some of the things that he mentions at the end so that us non-economists get a better understanding.

1. Tim Worstal

His listing of what can be done is a reasonable approximation of my stylebook (on the grounds that I am hugely influenced by Krugman's essay style, even if not quite so much by current economic policies). So I don't want too many people thinking about that: might be breeding my own competition.

10. phil dude
    Meh

nokia vs android..

I must say that being forced from Nokia (N900,N8,N9) to an android (Moto-E LTE) felt a touch inevitable.

Nokia hardware is very good (except crab usb charging for N900).

When Micro$oft bought nokia my phones stopped working properly due to "updates". I don't know if this some internal decision to get us all to buy the Win-landfill-fone, but from my sample of 2 it certainly looks that way...

The Moto-E comes with Android 5.0.2 (soon to be lollipop). It took 2 days to turn off all the notifications, and to install "f-droid" and other FOSS apps. Chatsecure, Textsecure, Redphone etc and a 64GB SDXC card.

$149. Not landfill, but quad-core, 1.5 days battery and so not bad.

P.

PS I do miss the Nokia Sleeping screens on the N8 and N9. OLED is so luscious...

11. Mark 85

India - a tough market

I wish Datawind well, but India is a tough market as many companies have found out. Whether it's cultural, economic, or even just basic services (water, electricity)... it's a tough sell by any stretch.

For example:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8da786b8-37e7-11e3-8668-00144feab7de.html#axzz3UlTkZ28H

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/10/03/cheap-razor-made-after-watches-indians-shave/NSQpOGAotpEfarkNmxIfcK/story.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2443191/Gillette-spent-fortune-Indian-razor-forgetting-countrys-running-water.html

There's been others that have tried and got hit hard.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misnomer

I read Mr Worstall's excellent column every week, but he has yet to write anything about Wednesday, choosing instead to write about computer topics. Perhaps he should rename the column "Worstall on Computers".

JK

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worstall's articles

I for one enjoy Tim Worstalls articles not only because I agree with most of his viewpoints but the fact that these articles are among the most cogent, educational and thought provoking work at El Reg.

That and it's very refreshing to find a raging capitalist willing to stick his neck out here on The Register since it was invaded by socialists. AC for obvious reasons

14. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Yes...

Yes, Android is bloated compared to Symbian. I don't know if the experience on these $30 phones will be that bad though... the way chip prices have dropped, a 1ghz dual core ARM costs like $1 (I'm assuming they'll cut cost by using a dual instead of a quad.) A single-core ARM'd be good enough for that matter. 1GB of RAM at the speed these phones use just doesn't cost that much either. That'll run Android fine.

That said... the thing holding smartphones (and IPhone) back in the US is the ridiculous phone plans. The cell cos here make sure you have to buy the $40 or so unlimited voice and text *before* you get a crack at buying any data; then you'll be paying like $15/GB, with a $30 or so minimum for the data on top of that. (You can't just buy 1GB, usually the $10-15 addon is something stupid like 250MB). Oh, you want to SHARE the data? They'll double-dip by charging you a little extra for the "shareable" data AND a per-line fee to "access" the data you're already paying per-GB for.

T-Mo at least throttles when you hit your cap instead of charging cash overages, as well as allowing data-only plans. Too bad they don't have service anywhere in my state 8-).

15. Six_Degrees

"10 per cent of the population with a mobile increases GDP by 0.5 per cent each and every year"

Much like the economic effects of having universal access to fast, cheap Internet service available to all.

Too bad the US keeps slipping behind so much of the rest of the world in that regard...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like