back to article US military CANCELS US$1.6 BEEELLION VMware deal

VMware's long-hoped for US$1.6bn, five-year deal with the US military has foundered, after the Defence Information Security Agency (DISA) cancelled its request for proposal "to further analyze the Government's needs." The cancellation was revealed last week in a new amendment to the RFP (PDF) The planned five-year deal …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Let the New Great IntelAIgent Games Begin ....

In other news, it is great news for Vapourware though. IT Lives and Prospers and goes long in the Markets and MainStream/Wall Street and Main Street.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they dismissed the protests against the deal while simultaneously and entirely coincidentally announced the deal won't be going ahead?

I'm sure the protestors will be devastated that their views weren't listened to...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Nor is there an explanation from DISA about the reason for the cancellation"

The GOP just took over as majority part in both houses recently. I guess vmware "donated" to the wrong guys this time around.

@AMFM where you been?

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Continuing Fall and Fall of Empires and the PNAC. Sieg Heil

Morning, AC,

Things go from bad to worse and worser whenever questions are avoided and actions thought to be immune from scrutiny are left undefended and supported by arrogance and ignorance ....... http://cryptome.org/2015/03/eop-15-0317.pdf

But there is always something better actively and relatively anonymously replacing follies sublimely and surreally with the virtual tools and ab fab fabless user interfaces freely available to smarter state agents and non-state actors these days, and for 0days and systems vulnerability testing.

And does that cited and shared Executive Office of the President and Office of Administration Disappears Records notification above prove beyond a shadow of any doubt the death and abuse of democracy in the far from United States of America?

Uncle Sam has lost the plot and leading narratives that driver global events and future proactions and NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive IT. Of that there is no real doubt for all those who can follow the apparent and secret evidence.

1. El_Fev

Re: The Continuing Fall and Fall of Empires and the PNAC. Sieg Heil

What the flying f*ck are you wittering on about you cretin!

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

"What the flying f*ck are you wittering on about you cretin!"

New to these parts, huh?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

. http://cryptome.org/2015/03/eop-15-0317.pdf Woah. Most transparent administration ever? I keep promising myself to spend more time over in cryptome but never find the 'roundtuit I need.

5. nullacritter
    Thumb Up

AMFM is the light.

All genuflect to accept his gospel, and bathe in his wisdom. You know it's good for you.

6. nullacritter
    Thumb Up

AMFM is the light

All genuflect to accept his gospel, and bathe in his wisdom. You know it's good for you.

7. nullacritter
    Thumb Up

@AMFM is the light

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Megaphone

Re: @AMFM is the light

And hail to the Holy Mouse Click of Trinity. <repeat 3 times>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why US government IT costs so much and takes so long

The RFP process takes years and requires literally hundreds (if not thousands) of pages of responses. In most cases these will have to be hand delivered, printed on paper, in dozens of copies. There will be endless meetings, contract negotiations, etc. and then when the award is announced, the losers appeal - which is what happened here.

So now the government and vendors have spent literally years, killed a forest of trees, wasted yes of thousands of person hours and the need is no closer to being met than it was before the process started.

NZ government is an order of magnitude smaller (and less corrupt) but they appear to have the right idea with all of government contracts and standardized offerings.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As someone who has spent months working on an AFSVA RFP with no government contracting experience, desperately trying to understand the arcane instructions and impossible directions, having FINALLY at the last minute fedexed 18 printed binders and then being informed that the deadline had been pushed back three weeks (Do you want your box returned? You should receive in in 2 months.)

only to have the RFP cancelled afterwards, I can tell you that everyone at VMWare who had an hand in this project is drinking heavily. Especially the sales team.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RFP response manager with previous government experience looking for new gig

I spent my life savings believing the government, and now forced to eat cat food in my new swanky pad which I will be evicted from... very soon.

Previous skillsets include:

Selling timeshares

Fiction writer

Expert at expensing golf outings with government customers as milage.

<knock knock.. this is the Sherif>... sorry gotta run.. to be continued from internet cafe.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

kvm?

Maybe someone inside the DoD found out about this thing called kvm that's part of the free-as-in-beer Linux kernel.

On second thought. Nah.

That would require those generals in the Pentagon and their counterpart armchair generals in Congress to actually get off their lazy asses and learn something about the tech they buy with our tax dollars. Why should they do that when all they have to do is watch a parade of vendor PowerPoint presentations and vote for the one from the highest contributor.

Really getting tired of watching those know-nothings piss away the money that's been put in their care by our system of plutocracy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like