back to article Redmond's Patch Tuesday to kill off the Windows FREAK show

Microsoft has issued 14 security bulletins to protect against a total of 44 different CVE-listed security vulnerabilities in its monthly Patch Tuesday release. The patch bundle includes Microsoft's solution for the now-infamous FREAK security vulnerability and some major fixes for Internet Explorer. Five of the patches are …

1. Sureo

Whoa

This month's updates required two re-boots on my Win7 32 and 64 bit PCs. Nice going.

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Re: Whoa

It could have been 3 reboots...

1. Lush At The Bar

"You have 157 updates to install"

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Lee D Silver badge

Sigh.

Yet another morning where I have to warn my users about 30-45 minutes of downtime if they dare to reboot in the middle of the day or turn off their PC at night (which I've asked them to do).

Time to start cherry-picking the important ones to make a week of tiny updates instead of one globular mass that's likely to take out every PC on site.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"while Windows Server installations are considered less of a risk as the browser is rarely used"

No, this is because the browser on a Windows Server has additional security protection enabled by default...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This month's updates required two re-boots on my Win7 32 and 64 bit PCs. Nice going."

All required one reboot here on lots of PCs.

1. beep54

My two machines needed two reboots. Boy, that just simply looked suspicious first time around.

2. regadpellagru

can we just shorten the wording ...

"MS15-018 A cumulative update for Internet Explorer 6-11. "

Should really be shortened as "every single IE versions, 'cos the code base is all the bloody same"

3. Palpy

Oh hellers.

Not Win-bashing, it's a great OS, use it every day at work.

But I haven't booted to Win 7 at home for about 6 months, really have to do so and get the cumulative patches installed. Maybe on the weekend I'll have a little gin-and-grapefruit, put something rhythmic and distorted on iTunes, and boot to the old MS partition. By then any "MS why you breakz my Windo?" outcry should have surfaced if it's going to. *sigh*

4. hamiltoneuk

2 reboots for Win7 yes. And did anyone else get these important security updates failing: KB2676562, KB2871997, KB2872339, KB3011780, KB3004375, KB3031432 and this recommended security update KB2882822, all with error code 80090017 sad day?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TheVogon

"all with error code 80090017 sad day?"

This means you have a corrupt Windows Update database or install. See https://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

5. TheProf
    Happy

As usual

Windows 7 64 bit laptop. 13 updates that installed almost as quickly as a normal reboot sequence.

1 reboot. No problems.

Why do some people think updates are the worst thing in the world? Oh yes, The Internet.

6. Gis Bun

At least 8 addition updates if using Windows 8.1.

Office 2010 could required 7 updates for one bulletin + 6 non-security updates.

Office 2013 has 2 security updates + 1.2GB of non-security updates.

7. Compression Artifact
    WTF?

Two things I noticed after applying Tuesday's patches:

1. The default media player got switched from VLC to Windows Media Player.

2. The privacy settings in Windows Media Player got reversed--from no-phone-home mode to wide-open mode.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like