back to article Hold on to your hats, we're ready to talk turkey on cybersecurity law, say ministers

European ministers said on Wednesday they are ready to negotiate a new cybersecurity law with the European Parliament and Commission. The proposed Network and Information Security (NIS) Directive would force operators that provide essential services (such as energy, transport, banking, and healthcare) and key internet enablers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The final Memorandum...

... All your data are belong to us.

2. Ole Juul

key internet enablers

That would include manufacturers of routers with open access as the default? Perhaps also pre-installed operating systems with known vulnerabilities? My thinking is that Google et al are right in that they shouldn't be included. They are after all, like the rest of us, basically transient users taking advantage of current internet protocols and not actually essential. But I would argue that the real enabler is your operating system, or at least the networking protocol stack part of it. In any case I really hope that the European ministers have some basic understand of what the internet actually is. The fact that they were even looking at Google, Amazon, and Ebay, doesn't give me much hope.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Just what is needed. More crazy rules and fantastic regulations

Reading between the lines .. Vapourware goes politically mainstream.

Now that is a new world and novel programming platform for rogue exploration and/or renegade exploitation. Thanks, and I say that most sincerely.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

What's missing

The list should also include governments and email and cloud service providers. And, of course, demands from police, intelligence, local council's cleaning dept. etc should all be included as incidents.

5. launcap Silver badge
    Megaphone

Re: header picture..

... reminds me of my continual beef about films set in space - why the hell do all the spacesuits have lights in them directed at the wearers eyes?

I know the cinematic reason (we've paid a fortune the the actor involved so we damned well want them to get plenty of face-time) but really? Do they not care about reality in cinema?

Hang on, I think I've just answered my own question. Carry on, nothing to see..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like