back to article Tastier Lollipops for chosen few as Google releases Android 5.1

Android 5.1 is upon us! Google has announced the updated operating system's release in the usual bloggy way. There's not an awful lot to get excited about in this release, which adds multiple SIM support, high-definition voice and less-labyrinthine menus for accessing functions like connecting to WiFi networks. The headline …

1. MrDamage Silver badge
    WTF?

Device Protection

You need to sign up with the data-slupring candy factory, in order to protect your data from miscreants.

1. phil dude
      Linux

Re: Device Protection

I highly recommend downloading f-droid. It is a repo of the GPL stuff for android.

Disable google sync, setup your own "owncloud".

Get textsecure and redphone (courtesty of Phil Zimmerman's work).

GPGguard , create a mobile key.

This may help...

This is my first android too, so opinions may change....!

P.

1. asdf

Re: Device Protection

That is also what I did other than having to sideload a few apps like Roku. The question is Google going to push harder and make it more difficult to use Android without a Google account. There are ways they could really gimp AOSP going forward (such as moving more new features into their cloud or perhaps in the future with kdbus writing internal code they don't have to release).

2. caffeine addict

But will it stop my 2012 Nexus7 from sucking so badly?

How they can force their own update on their own hardware and have it knacker it this badly is beyond me. I'm surprised we haven't seen an American class action story yet.

1. petur

Nobody forced the update on you, you tapped the update button. I waited a bit to see reports, an only updated when 5.0.2 arrived.

That said, 5.0 is indeed not what it should be, and I'm mostly looking forward to 5.1 for the fixes.

1. caffeine addict

If you have a choice of an update or no updates ever when there are lots of web security holes, then its kind of forced on you.

If you're a low level user who assumes the device manufacturer knows what is best for you, it was forced on you.

2. 0laf

Took the words out my mouth. Google's updates have slowly (well not so slowly with 5.0) turned a very good tablet into a PoS.

If Google can't get an update to work on their own hardware what will it do to other manufacturers.

1. Benchops

Cyanogenmod, anyone?

Maybe it's time to try cyanogenmod. I think it's supported and maintained on more nexus devices than google maintains raw Android.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Cyanogenmod, anyone?

It is fine if you do not use bluetooth. Bluetooth does not work on my N7 and has had a variety of problems on other devices I used to have with Cyanogen - Xperia Arc, Xperia Mini Pro, etc. Otherwise Cyanogen on the Nexuses is pretty good.

3. AceRimmer

its quite straightforward to reflash with an older stock ROM if you want to revert to an older version

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Only downside is that you will lose all user data and settings

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Helium is good for making backups, once you find some instructions.

4. Andrew Richards

If this is performance I saw something similar. Before: snappy and a joy to use; post-update: sluggish to the point of wanting to take a hammer to it.

Advice like cache-clearing didn't do much. However, the boot-up factory reset did work. Slight pain having to re-enter credentials for apps (and I know Google do back-up some, if you use that) but it's now as pleasant as it was before.

I don't justify having to do this but it worked here and spousal approval restored. YMMV.

3. RAMChYLD

Multi-Sim

But my dad's Lenovo A316i (Android JB 4.2.2) already does Multi-Sim. How is this new?

1. petur
      Boffin

Re: Multi-Sim

El Reg is a bit short on details there...

The added support is for color coding which contact/message/... belongs to which sim. So more like added convenience

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it support ResearchKit? It's open source so shouldn't take 2 years to copy like the phone locking thing ;)

5. Someonehasusedthathandle

Please Mr Google...

Can I have the sodding notification light on my nexus 6!

I don't want to root it and install a third party app just so the light works!

(No your fancy dan lock screeny mebob doesn't cut it)

1. MrWibble

Re: Please Mr Google...

Lightflow should work fine without root.

But, I agree it's very odd that they build in a multi-colour LED into a device (I've got a N4), and then don't use it!

1. Someonehasusedthathandle

Re: Please Mr Google...

I wish, when I looked into a month ago there was no way to get working without root. Thanks though.

More to the point why should I need a 3rd party app!

6. Voland's right hand Silver badge

nakasig (Nexus 7 3G) is as usually fashionably late

Not that any of the binaries on Google past 4.0 actually work. They include a broken bootloader from Asus which bricks your device nicely. There is a workaround (I have 5.0.1 on mine), but it is ugly and not doucmented.

So I will wait until they post it and it becomes usable via normal device update.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

installed and running it.

Must suck to own the wrong android phone if you like new stuff..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: installed and running it.

Ooh look! A beta tester! Thanks buddy!

8. Christopher Rogers

Still waiting for the Samsung GS4 to get 5.0....

1. Cerberus666

GS4 has 5.0.1, but it's just not released in all regions yet. Using Odin and a copy of the Czech unlocked image I've updated my Singapore sourced S4 i9506 without losing any settings - and yes everything is in proper UK-English with correct regional settings, and all seems to function fine - with better power consumption too.

9. IHateWearingATie

Much as I like android..

... this really is the worst aspect of it, waiting not just for the handset maker but also the network (depending on your device) to bother to update it.

And my 2012 Nexus 7 has slowed to a crawl as I stupidly assumed that Google had tested its impact on on the Nexus devices before pushing it out. The upside is I did manage to use it as an excuse with The Boss to let me buy a Z3 Compact tablet which is great and give the Nexus to my son as a dedicated Minecraft tablet :)

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: Much as I like android..

"waiting not just for the handset maker but also the network (depending on your device) to bother to update it."

It's worse than that. I always buy my devices directly, not through the networks. I had to watch as each network OKed the software update and rolled it out. Only once every network was happy with the new version, did the stock manufacturer version get the update.

2. Boothy
      Mushroom

Re: Much as I like android..

A 2012 Nexus 7 owner here too.

It felt quite nippy under 4.x, but 5.x (latest release for the Nexus 7) has slowed it to a crawl :-/

Factory resets etc don't fix anything,

My LG G Pad 8.3 (budget/mid range tablet), absolutely wipes the floor with it, but is only on 4.4 (no roll out of 5.x by LG yet).

N7 currently relegated to being a remote control for the Sky planner.

Even the GF refuses to use it, she'd rather use the smaller screen on her phone, than put up with the treacle, that is using the GUI on the Nexus 7.

Might have a look at Cyanogenmod if Google can't get their act together for their own device!

10. MrThin
    WTF?

Just little 'ol CVE?

And presumeably fixes CVE-2015-1474? Y'know, the one with the impact subscore of ten and the label "network exploitable"

Might have been worth a cursory mention.

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2015-1474

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No 5.1 for N4 (occam)?

Been seeing stories that N4 build had been seen but Google says no :(

12. Doug 3

will revert to 4.xx on Nexus 7 (2013) if 5.1 is also N7 failure

as others have stated, my N7 (2013) is just about useless with 5.x on it. One more shot Google and then I revert back to the previous release which rocked on this device.

13. Cerberus666

Google not keeping the kids happy!

As a consequence of Google's poor updates for the 2012 N7 - after upgrading to 5.0.1 my three year old who loved playing games on mine, got so frustrated with the lag that he threw it across the room and smashed the screen and touch membrane. That's one way of having to get a new tablet, but it won't be a new Nexus - way too expensive.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Zog The Undeniable

MY EYES!

Has 5.1 allowed us to get the black background back for texts etc? That was the worst thing about 5.0 - forcing a WHITE background which is just horrid to use at night, Oh, and removing the usual way to put the phone on silent or not-silent. And there's nothing new in 5.0 that I actually wanted.

16. Bluto Nash
    WTF?

Which ROM, then?

My Nexus 5 is on 5.0.1, but there are TWO 5.1.0 versions listed, both with different checksums, etc. It would be nice if they would indicate either what the differences were of some manner of telling which of the two is appropriate for my device...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like