back to article Upper house of Parliament joins the drone debate

The House of Lords has today called for an online database or app to track and manage the growing use of civilian drones. The snappily-named House of Lords EU Internal Market, Infrastructure and Employment Sub-Committee said drone-generated employment could reach 150,000 by the year 2050. The report suggested a number of ways …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the difference...

...between a Radio Controlled Aeroplane or Helicopter and a Drone?

Do you need a license to fly these things or is this just another tier of control that the police state wants?

Let me help the Government out now.....BAN these things, stop the rot before it sets in.

1. FlossyThePig

Re: What's the difference...

When did "Government" actually know anything useful about "technology"?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would imagine the difference is in their use.

Whereas generally a traditional amateur RC pilot would be using the device within line of sight, in an open area and without camera equipment on board, a "drone" pilot will often have camera recording equipment and can fly without LoS and possibly over an automated path. The use with recording equipment also means they are more likely to be used in built up areas or a third party's property and over other landmarks. It would appear that "Drones" are also generally more readily available and purchased by a wider demographic.

Using a "drone" in the same way that a traditional RC aircraft was used is unlikely to be any different and is probably safer, however the use case and use location for them is usually different.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" a "drone" pilot will often have camera recording equipment and can fly without LoS and possibly over an automated path"

In doing so (probably) break aviation rules in the UK already.

Has to be line of (unaided) sight max 500m distance I believe.

So they want a database of illegal activity to be able to deal with it eh, genius.

I wonder who is going to get prosecuted for a camera toss, aerial vehicle with data recording within 50m of people, naughty.

2. Doctor_Wibble

> It would appear that "Drones" are also generally more readily available and purchased by a wider demographic.

And worth noting that 'wider demographic' will by statistical makeup alone have a far greater proportion of pillocks that the previous 'RC elite' grouping.

The RC enthusiasts as far as I am aware tended to be enthusiastic about the craft, with much of the enjoyment from watching it, and the expensive (or time-consuming) nature of repairs tended to encourage a rather more careful approach to flying the things. Once things become cheap and/or discardable, (and noting 'wider demographic' as above) you suddenly have a lot of these things being flown without the due care and attention that would previously have been the norm.

Add to this the new arms race as nudist camps start building mini remote-controlled ack-acks to match.

3. Drone Pilot

Sorry, it's the uneducated, perhaps like yourself, which are causing the problems.

A remote control helicopter from 10 years ago, has an electronic gadget mounted in the tail called a gyro - it helps the thing stay stable.

A "drone" has an electronic brain which helps it stay stable. What's the difference?

There is very little that a drone can do today which I could not have done with a helicopter 10 years ago. The main thing is that these days a "drone" is available from the likes of Maplin where dumb people can spend their social grant and without thought, fly the thing and fly it dangerously.

10 years ago my Helicopter cost me your annual social grant, took me 2 weeks to build and I flew it very very carefully.

I do agree that the idiots need to be controlled (that is a function of governments since the Romans) however, like the common automobile, they are perfectly safe in the right hands.

Ban them? Sledge hammer approach....

1. frank ly

@Drone Pilot Re: What's the difference...

"Sorry, it's the uneducated, perhaps like yourself, which are causing the problems."

That should be "..., who are causing .."

You should spend _your_ 'social grant' on some educational books.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
        Happy

"Ban them? Sledge hammer approach...."

You're new here; maybe you don't realise we do irony.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Drone Pilot

Drone PILOT eh?

Do you get a little shiver of self importance calling yourself a pilot?

Operating a toy aircraft makes you a toy aircraft operator, if you want to be called a pilot use your "social grant" to get a licence to fly the real thing.

(and yes I do have the real thing)

4. Little Mouse
      Trollface

What's the difference... ...between a Radio Controlled Aeroplane or Helicopter and a Drone?

Easy - Drones are for geeks & planes are for nerds.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Why are we asking the EU?

Is this so we can blame it on Brussels and say they are writing thousands of laws, interfering in British sovereignty, bloody elf and safety gow'n mad etc?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Why are we asking the EU?

Perhaps it's going via the EU as it's one of the harmonised areas of policy. A lot of product regulations come our way from the EU because of the Single Market (for example). Note that there's already been some discussion at the EU level, so the Parliamentary committees will study the issue and report to government, so that ministers and civil servants can take their opinion into account when deciding our position in EU level negotiations.

Government works slowly, and via various stages of consultation and discussion before progressing to legislation, or not. Once you add in the various extra layers in the EU process, that gets even longer, more complicated and involved.

Some of these modern drones are very large and powerful, and could pose a serious danger to other air-users, or people on the ground. Therefore government wouldn't be doing its job unless it looked at whether changes in legislation are needed. And that's happening seemingly at both national and EU level. The system (so far at least) is therefore doing what it's supposed to.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Why are we asking the EU?

"Some of these modern drones are very large and powerful"

Yeah, some of these 6 and 8 rotor ones can carry 20Kg+ payloads. You don't want to be under one of those if it falls out of the sky. On the other hand, they are not cheap so anyone using one is likely to be very careful not damage it or the likely very expensive camera kit it's probably carrying.

Some model aircraft can reach a size where special permissions are required to fly after being judged for airworthyness and only in pre-booked areas with flight plans lodged etc (or something like that) Yet these very large drone copter things don't reach that size so pretty much anyone can fly them anywhere within the existing laws - or not. A chav with a 50 quid drone is not going to be as careful as an RC modeller with even a cheap model they built themselves.

3. Stevie

Bah!

Requiring proof of insurance and insisting on drones carrying the owner's name and contact information would be a good first step. That way, when Tommy Tw*tface flies his new toy through the windscreen of your new toy you can at least get the bugger paid for.

What? We should suspend discussion of personal liability in favour of circular arguments about privacy? Why not have both discussions at the same time so the first gets sorted before the heat death of the universe?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

"Requiring proof of insurance and insisting on drones carrying the owner's name and contact information would be a good first step. That way, when Tommy Tw*tface flies his new toy through the windscreen of your new toy you can at least get the bugger paid for."

Why? Bicycles have no such constraints, and cause far more damage and nuisance than drones do. Privately flown drones are like CB radio - currently a flash in the pan whilst every fad-victim thinks they're the bees-knees, and idiot politicians look for any excuse to shit out a raft of unnecessary legislation, But give it a while and the fad victims will be into virtual reality, or bitcoin2, 3D printing, or whatever, and unmanned flight can be left to the small number of useful commercial uses and responsible hobbyists, and the dust will settle.

RC aircraft have been around for years without any meaningful level of problems. Let's not allow shit-head politicians to introduce another Red Flag Act in response to ill informed babble.

4. Crisp

That's what the House of Lords came up with?

"[There should be an app for that.]" Are they going to write it?

5. RosslynDad
    WTF?

2050 You Say?

"could reach 150,000 by the year 2050"

This coming from the bunch who don't know what is going to happen on 8 May 2015 (the day after UK elections for our non-UK friends)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: 2050 You Say?

"This coming from the bunch who don't know what is going to happen on 8 May 2015"

And you do?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 2050 You Say?

Yip. The Labour party in Scotland are going to get fucked with a big stick with a big nail in it.

6. William Donelson
    Mushroom

The real question...

What is the "payload" of drones now? What will it be in 5 years? That's right. It's going to happen sooner or later :(

Perhaps a ban on drones larger than X size? Perhaps a limit on the payload capacity?

Personally, I don't want to be in the group that finds out the hard way.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The real question...

How does banning a certain size or capacity of drone stop someone intent on mass murder? Will they just shrug their shoulders and try something else in case they get caught breaking the law?

7. 90
    Thumb Up

khan

They need just pass a law from parliament and made some ethic and specific rule for public who want to do some experiment or for fun, you cant ban a public to do something if they do it by legally way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like