back to article Frontier promises it won't 'dumb down' Elite: Dangerous for Xbox

The Elite: Dangerous massively multiplayer online role-playing game is breaking its reliance on the PC and coming to consoles, but maker Frontier Developments has told players not to panic – there'll be no compromises made in the translation. "I've said we'd be mad not to consider bringing Elite: Dangerous to console. Well, …

1. John Bailey

Frontier promises..

What could possibly go wrong?

2. Idocrase

This... is a good damn thing. Assuming it's connected to the same server/peer system as the PC version, it will draw in a lot of people - friends of mine among them - who would LIKE to play Elite, but only own a console, or who don't want the hassle of buying stuff they can only play on the PC quietly gathering dust in a corner of the house they don't want to sit in.

I already play Elite with an Xbox gamepad, so control isn't an issue really.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree but I'd have thought they'd be better off going for the PS4 "instead of/as well as" given it's larger market share and that the code line would be fairly similar anyway.

2. NumptyScrub

This... is a good damn thing. Assuming it's connected to the same server/peer system as the PC version, it will draw in a lot of people - friends of mine among them - who would LIKE to play Elite, but only own a console, or who don't want the hassle of buying stuff they can only play on the PC quietly gathering dust in a corner of the house they don't want to sit in.

It will be a different multiplayer environment, MS require XBox games to use the Live servers for multiplayer, meaning that the existing FDEV infrastructure will be wholly incompatible. There would need to be a "Games for Windows Live" version to allow for cross platform gaming (Shadowrun is the only one that springs to mind, although there might have been others). I don't think anyone even codes for GfWL any more, and I can't say I blame them... ^^;

1. Captain Scarlet

MS killed off "Games for Windows Live" a while ago, if your games haven't got patches to remove it then there might be some issues playing them.

3. RoninRodent

> In the next couple of months, Frontier plans to release another upgrade pack, dubbed "Powerplay." Frontier isn't saying what's in it, but it's likely to include more features for collaborative play and allow more equitable sharing of bounties between hunters.

A couple of Redditors have been digging around in the client and found references to a possible Arena Commander-style game mode which is effectively deathmatch in space so it may be that.

FD also registered the trademark Elite: Deadly recently but no clues as to what that will be yet.

1. M W

Often a trademark registration proceeds the details of the release of a paid expansion.

Blizzard did it al the time, and that's how the next expansion pack's names leaked.

2. David 164

Frontier have already confirm power play has nothing to do with with PVP Arena. Which I'm sure are coming in some form or another. I'm pretty sure if it does come it will be done in a similar manner to community goals and war zones, they will pop up anywhere but likely to be confine Anarchy systems and Empire control systems and will be combination of NPCs and real players.

4. TheFinn

Frontier comments - now with added caveats!

Surely, you've omitted the words "any more" from the article title...?

5. returnmyjedi

Why there wasn't a 12 Years A Slave movie tie in for Elite is beyond me. I really should be in marketing.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"Why there wasn't a 12 Years A Slave movie tie in for Elite is beyond me"

Probably it was due to the lack of spaceships in the antebellum American South. Which is just as well, really - given one Cobra MkIII the Confederacy might have won the war.

6. Wombling_Free

El Reg should be proud

since there is now a 'Vulture' flyable ship.

Pretty good ship too. Now we just need El Reg logos for it...

7. DaddyHoggy

The support for the Oculus RIft on Elite Dangerous makes the game look quite incredible (whizzy around the asteroid fields in 3D is amazing) - tracking a ship you're dog-fighting with is also pretty special - however - so far every time FD release a patch my OR settings get screwed up and I have to put them back to what they need to be each time, which is a bit of a chore.

Also, while wearing the OR, using the keyboard is a bit of a no-no, so I've got about 30 functions mapped to the buttons on a Thrustmaster Warthog - just how are XBOne controller users going to get access to all the nuanced controls? Won't that put them at a disadvantage?

1. Jediben

Who cares!? Sitting ducks are more fun!

2. Keith_C

Obvious "joke" alert

>Won't that put them at a disadvantage?

You mean more than they are already for having bought an XBOne?

8. Nick Pettefar

Still waiting for the promised Mac version...

1. Robert Grant

Probably still waiting for the original Elite :)

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Does anyone know if it's going to be like SteamPlay (one purchase works on all the formats it's released on now and in the future) or will Frontier charge you for each format?

As it's Frontier it's probably the latter, but I'd just like confirmation anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Of course Xbox One isn’t the first of the new platforms, that honour goes to the Mac version. Our current focus with development here is performance and visual quality and we’re still on track for the Mac beta test at the end of March."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=121796

9. Dan 55 Silver badge

Where's the Wii U version?

Okay, I said it. The tablet screen would be great replacement for the keyboard for controlling the less obvious ship controls (that's most of them) while the TV shows the usual viewpoint.

How they're going to cram everything onto an Xbox controller is beyond me.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Where's the Wii U version?

Wild guess but voice controls?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's the Wii U version?

"Computer, charge jump drive"

"---You said: Dump Cargo."

CR74,000 FINE INCURRED.

I'll stick with my keyboard for now.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like