back to article Lost WHITE CITY of the MONKEY GOD found after 500 years

In a scene straight from Raiders of the Lost Ark, archaeologists believe they have found the fabled lost White City of the Monkey God in Honduras. Aided by former Special Air Service (SAS) soldiers, the team of scientists uncovered the location in the Mosquitia jungle, along Honduras's eastern coast, over 500 years after the …

1. Peter Simpson 1
    Thumb Up

White City of the Monkey God

Best address ever!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: White City of the Monkey God

1 Infinite Gloop

White City of the Monkey God

MMOFJ (Miles and Miles of F'ing Jungle)

Honduras

If out, please leave parcel with Mrs Trellis at Number 3.

1. jim parker

Has Mrs Trellis moved from North Wales then?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Apart from the Gold Monkey...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I imagine Lenny Henry will complain about the name.

2. Tim Jenkins

"...The exact location is not being revealed..."

unless they forgot to turn off the GPS-tagging on their phones...

(http://gizmodo.com/5965295/vice-magazine-just-accidentally-revealed-where-john-mcafee-is-hiding)

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

Re: "...The exact location is not being revealed..."

Quote from the article: "Aided by former Special Air Service (SAS) soldiers..."

@Tim: one hopes that covers your concern.

2. Cubical Drone

Re: "...The exact location is not being revealed..."

I tried Google maps. My search for "white city of monkey god" got me the Oklahoma State Capitol. I guess that is sort of accurate.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure it's nice to find.....

a white city of the monkey god, but get back to me when Tao, Zia and Esteban find one of the mysterious cities of gold. Yup, the headline of this story alone got the theme tune into my head....

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Re: I'm sure it's nice to find.....

Now I'm humming it,

http://youtu.be/-7x-QhIUlwE

1. JamesTQuirk

Well unless it's the TV crew of "American Digger" or "Diggers" or another "freelance" team, rip it out the ground & sell it mob, who destroy the archaeology ..

2. Sarah Balfour

So glad to see I wasn't the only one…

3. Cameron Colley

The DVD box set I have even has a recording of Philip Schofield singing the these tune.

4. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

“ground-truthed"???

You mean they'd actually been there?

Or is that just not cool-sounding enough?

1. LaeMing

Re: “ground-truthed"???

The ground is an inside job. Obama did it.

5. deadlockvictim

Ballmer

I was expecting a Ballmer story actually. Can't think why.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Threepwood!

The researchers escaped the cannibals and left the banana picker in the locked hut, fed the monkey and went to the Great Monkey Head, where they pulled the middle nose on the totem pole. They got the wimpy little idol and returned to the cannibals, retrieved the banana picker and returned it to Herman to get the key. Apparently.

1. Ben Bonsall

Re: Threepwood!

"How to get ahead when navigating?"

"Hey, this sounds interesting!"

1. Sarah Balfour

Did they happen to find a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle (I've ALWAYS wanted an opportunity to post that!)…?

1. Peter Johnstone

Thats the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen (I've ALWAYS wanted an opportunity to post that!)

2. PNGuinn
          Boffin

Re: Threepwood! "Did they happen to find a rubber chicken..."

Er - why?

2. davidp231

Look behind you! A three headed monkey!

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

The prophecy has come true!

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

Don't tell Steven Spielberg

He might want to make another Indiana Jones movie.

We don't want another stinker like: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

1. Alan Gauton

Re: Don't tell Steven Spielberg

Thought it was already in pre-production...

1. TitterYeNot
        Coat

"Thought it was already in pre-production..."

I think you're getting mixed up with "Gremlins 3 - The Quest for More Money."

"Indiana Jones and the Deadly Miasma of Ennui" isn't due to start filming till next year...

1. Florida1920

First comes "Saving Private Fortunes."

2. davidp231

"Gremlins 3 - The Quest for More Money."

See also: Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

I didn't mind the jungle setting in Crystal Skull. It was the Erich Von Daniken influences that spoilt it for me.... that, and that fridge.

Indiana Jones at the Mountains of Madness, anyone?

1. NorthernCoder
        Go

Re: Indiana Jones at the Mountains of Madness

I like how you think!

3. fruitoftheloon
      Happy

@Winkypop: Re: Don't tell Steven Spielberg

Winkypop,

I thought the crystal skull Indy film wasn't too terrible, I suspect I may be in a minority hereabouts...

J.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Re: @Winkypop: Don't tell Steven Spielberg

Towards the end of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I was hoping that the carnivorous ants would reappear, march off camera and the next thing you would see was them dragging Steven Spielberg across the ground and into their anthill....

8. Bunbury

Primeval rain forest?

I feel National Geographic might need to look up the meaning of "primeval". It can hardly be primeval forest if 500 years ago it was a city.

1. Kane
      Boffin

Re: Primeval rain forest?

"I feel National Geographic might need to look up the meaning of "primeval". It can hardly be primeval forest if 500 years ago it was a city."

Yeah...you may have misread that bit...

"The rain forest surrounding the area is so primeval that the animals appear never to have seen humans before, reported the National Geographic."

Plus, for bonus points...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old-growth_forest - Particular extract...

Depending on the forest, this may take anywhere from a century to several millennia. Hardwood forests of the eastern United States can develop old-growth characteristics in one or two generations of trees, or 150–500 years. In British Columbia, Canada, old growth is defined as 120 to 140 years of age in the interior of the province where fire is a frequent and natural occurrence. In British Columbia’s coastal rainforests, old growth is defined as trees more than 250 years, with some trees reaching more than 1,000 years of age. In Australia, eucalypt trees rarely exceed 350 years of age due to frequent fire disturbance.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's wikipedia....

1. Bunbury

Err, no.

From the NG article "When the images were processed, they revealed unnatural features stretching for more than a mile through the valley. When Fisher analyzed the images, he found that the terrain along the river had been almost entirely reshaped by human hands"

and

"The valley is densely carpeted in a rain forest so primeval that"

The valley has been almost entirely reshaped - it is impossible to do that and retain the primeval forest. It's sloppy writing from the magazine, which is poor when it has run articles in the past about how the Amazonian rain forest was once heavily agricultural in parts.

Also (grammer nazi alert!), use of the style "so primeval" implies one forest can be more primeval than another. It can't. A forest is either 'of the first age' or it is not.

1. joeldillon

I hope 'grammer' is ironic.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Headmaster

Grammer Nazis are fanatic fans of Kelsey Grammer. They probably want to see Kelsey as the lead in the next Indiana Jones movie....

2. Bunbury

"I hope 'grammer' is ironic"

If only. Moronic, more like!

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I hope 'grammer' is ironic.

My favourite law is Muphry's law...

2. bep

"Depending on the forest, this may take anywhere from a century to several millennia. Hardwood forests of the eastern United States can develop old-growth characteristics in one or two generations of trees, or 150–500 years. In British Columbia, Canada, old growth is defined as 120 to 140 years of age in the interior of the province where fire is a frequent and natural occurrence. In British Columbia’s coastal rainforests, old growth is defined as trees more than 250 years, with some trees reaching more than 1,000 years of age. In Australia, eucalypt trees rarely exceed 350 years of age due to frequent fire disturbance.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's wikipedia...."

Well, since we're trusting Wikipedia:

'The Huon Pine is a conifer, endemic to Tasmania, and the only member of the genus Lagarostrobos. It is Australia’s oldest living tree species and one of the oldest |living organisms on earth. Individuals have been known to reach an age of 3,000 years.'

Australia is quite a big place, with quite a few different tree species, not just gum trees.

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

" In Australia, eucalypt trees rarely exceed 350 years of age due to frequent fire disturbance."

By which they mean "exploded due to bright sunlight".

Australia. So deadly even the trees are bombs.

1. MonkeyCee

There are three types of fauna in Australia: Weird, deadly and sheep.

The seasons in Australia are: Flood, pestilence, fire and boredom.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They dared to defile the White City of the Monkey God?

I'm outraged!

Kill all the non-believers!

Ring the Daily Mail

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Re: They dared to defile the White City of the Monkey God?

Yeah, but don't forget the Monkey God's Mum (MGM). She is going to go ON and ON and ON to the poor Monkey God:

MGM: "See! I TOLD you to keep your forest tidy! You are ALWAYS losing things in it!"

Monkey God: "But, mum, I ..."

MGM: "I mean, HOW can you lose an entire CITY! This never would have happened to your cousin Kevin!"

Monkey God: "But mum, ..."

MGM: "Just think of what your dad will say when he comes home, and he hears humans have found it for you"

Monkey God: "Yes, but mum, ..."

MGM: "And I bet you haven't said thank you to those nice men from the SAS and National Geographic for finding your city again"

Monkey God: "But,..."

MGM: "Now go to your room and tidy THAT, or it's no human sacrifices for you for the next 500 years!"

Monkey God: "Yes, mum. Alright, mum"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They dared to defile the White City of the Monkey God?

I'm outraged!

Kill all the non-believers!

Ring the Daily Mail

Outrage - fine if you like that sort of thing

Kill all the non believers - well you are entitled to your opinion, its a tad extreme though

Ring the Daily Mail - My God man! Have you lost the plot? That's just a step too far!

10. Bob Wheeler
    Trollface

I always thought...

that White City was in Shepherd's Bush?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I always thought...

Nah, it's in Peru

http://www.peruthisweek.com/travel-visit-the-white-city-of-arequipa-peru-103259

1. PNGuinn
        WTF?

Peru's in Shepherd's Bush?

So the little bear would only have had to hop on the tube to get to Paddington?

Colour me shocked, really.

2. Fink-Nottle

Isn't White City somewhere in South Africa?

Anyway ... you'd think that with expeditions like this, the less they found, the better. If they'd come back from the jungle without having found anything, then that would just prove how lost the city really was.

1. OrientalHero

Heh, there's a lost white walled city in Syria called Al Resafa.

It looks red in the pictures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resafa) but 1500 years of sand blasting by the desert will do that to white walls.

11. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Devil

First I misread the city's name as "White monkey"... and then it results that the man who discovered ended up committing suicide!

This is not about the Mountains of Madness as a few fellow commentards suggested... it's about the late Arthur Jermyn and his family!!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

A. Coatsworth deserves my upvote... but I had to use the internet to find out why!

('Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family', a H.P Lovecraft story concerning explorers and a city of white apes)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't believe there is a pyramid too! Finding this city is pretty much the exact scenario I imagined for my entire life as a kid. It was either being a real life Indiana Jones or...well I could tell you what I do today, but if it's not being a real life Indian Jones, would you really be interested...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

You are a wise-cracking intergalactic smuggler, on the run after being wrongly accused of murdering your wife, who tracks down rogue replicants and I claim my fiver!

13. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re : A forest 'of the first age'

So, Neldoreth in Beleriand then?

14. codejunky Silver badge

I wonder

Did it go anything like the plot to Congo?

15. GreggS

Durr, durr, durr derrr, durr, durr, derrrr.

Dur, dur, dur, derrrrr, dur, dur , dur dur, dur-de-dur.

1. Little Mouse

Re: Durr, durr, durr derrr, durr, durr, derrrr.

Now I've got the theme tune to "Heidi" stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

16. Stevie

Bah!

Well not for nothing, I led a team to this very site about three and a half years ago.

We recovered a number of artifacts that hinted at an antediluvian history of the Earth not in accord with that of mainstream historians. Some of the carvings on one particular urn were ... disturbing, and many of the team suffered nighmares after viewing them.

Our doctor developed a pervasive feeling of being watched from the surrounding forest and began wandering off into the bush in search of his tormentors, costing precious time when search parties had to be sent to find him and bring him back to camp. During our second week on site he simply vanished.

Then we opened up a sealed wooden door and found a surprisingly well-preserved mummy of a reptilian humanoid. Such a repulsive sight did this being convey as it lay there on the massive stone slab that two of the team simply fainted dead away. Though dead for uncounted eons it seemed to exude a palpable miasma of malevolence. The nightmares that night were terrible.

No-one would work the next day, and I almost had an outright mutiny when I tried to insist we re-enter the tomb. I spoke calming words to my students and fellow Miskatonic professors that seemed to be calming things down when naturally the mummified horror from beyond time chose that precise moment to rise from the dead, emerge from its tomb and ill us all.

I congratulate the latest expedition on escaping a TPK.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Bah!

Thank goodness you were all only 'illed'. That bastard could have murdered you all!

1. Old Handle
        Alien

I don't know, some of those mummy-induced illnesses can be exceptionally nasty.

2. Stevie

Re: Only Ill

Dammit, that's what posting from an iPad on the Register App with its itty-bitty comment typeface does for me.

Another triumph for technology and superannuated eyeballs.

1. Sarah Balfour
          Unhappy

Re: Only Ill

THe app is crap. I use News360.

Reg, update your app - the latest version is dated almost 2 years ago! I know you hate Apple, but c'mon!

3. P. Lee

>Thank goodness you were all only 'illed'. That bastard could have murdered you all!

The last entry in the diary reads, "The others are now all gone, I'm the only one left. They fell like flies to dysentery, then the flies fell on them and the flies got dysentery. We've been illed to death by the Mummy's cures, I'm sure of it!"

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Happy

Re: Bah! (two bites of the cherry?)

If that's what the mummy's cures can do, I really don't want to know about its curse!

2. Stevie

Re: We've been illed to death by the Mummy's cures

Upvoted for "Mummy's cures".

I'd buy you a beer if I wasn't so cheap.

4. fruitoftheloon
        Joke

@Will Godfrey: Re: Bah!

Will,

Blimey, I didn't realise Run DMC had that effect on some folks...

J

17. Tom 7

Does that lidar shit

work on car keys in 2" of grass? Cos if it does there's more wealth in pub gardens than the whole of Honduras!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah man

A forest is not a forest until you can loose your f*king pyramid in it!

1. MajorTom

Re: Yeah man

If you let loose your pyramid, won't it wander until it eventually makes its way out of the jungle?

1. DropBear

Re: Yeah man

If you let loose your pyramid, won't it wander until it eventually makes its way out of the jungle?

Not if it stumbles upon an ancient city first, then it just settles down in it. There just is something about ancient cities pyramids can't resist - all the ones we know of were found lurking in one...

19. faultythinking

Found before?

I think someone has already been there...

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thelateaurthurjeryn.htm

1. asdf

Re: Found before?

Funny reading the headline immediately brought Lovecraft to my mind as well even though I haven't read said story. Doesn't take reading many of his stories to get a good feel for his multiverse.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Found before?

I much prefer the laundry

20. Uffish

So how does this LIDAR work?

Is there some colour that goes through leaves as if they were transparent or does it extrpolate from the small spots of light that get through gaps the canopy.

1. Bunbury

Re: So how does this LIDAR work?

I believe it's the latter. The kit seems to work on the basis of chuck out data points like billy-o (1 billy-o = 1bo = 100,000 per second) and then process to discount reflections from foliage. Given that the aeroplane is moving, some will hit leaves and some will hit the ground. Then Mr computer works out which is which and can just display the land underneath the trees, if you want to see the land. Very impressive results. Though I imagine the denser the canopy the more difficult it is to get detail.

1. Sarah Balfour

Re: So how does this LIDAR work?

'LIDAR' - sounds like a lie-detector-cum-radar, especially useful when listening to PMQs (although, with the current shower of shit, it'd probably explode within the first 30s).

21. Cynical_Funk
    Boffin

Alternatively...

You can read something non sensational about this here:

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2015/03/03/theres-a-real-archaeological-surprise-in-honduras/

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Alternatively...

I don't know what exactly is going on but this seems like another case of NatGeo QUALITY reporting / reportutainment.

22. Dave Harris

Please no-one tell Lord Monkey Fist

23. Mystic Megabyte
    Happy

I've been to the lair of the white worm

Scout's honour!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've been to the lair of the white worm

Cornwall or Devon?

2. PNGuinn
      Go

Re: I've been to the lair of the white worm

Thers's a good boy!

24. earl grey
    Coat

That's what She (WMBO) said

Getting my coat and heading for the fire now.

And yes, i know it's a different continent.

25. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

WTF is this?

Explorers have attempted to uncover the extreme wealth of "Ciudad Blanca", so called because its buildings and a wall around it were of white stone, since the time of Hernán Cortés and the Spanish conquistadors in 1520.

How can there be a city of "extreme wealth" (probably relative) somewhere in Honduras just like that? There needs to be a supporting civilization and vast tracts of land to support that city to the point where asking a local would most likely result in finger-pointing into the general direction of said city. What gives?

As an example, it's not like the location of Mesopotamian cities was particularly unknown (indeed Mongols amused themselves to "un-wealth" those cities something fierce, having evidently easily detected them).

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: WTF is this?

Explorers will attempt to uncover extreme wealth even if there isn't any extreme wealth to find. Does that answer your question?

Explorers will attempt to uncover extreme wealth even if there isn't any extreme wealth to find. Does that answer your question?

I suppose you are able to answer your question yourself with "not really".

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Wealth doesn't mean money, eg precious metals and jewels. Oddly enough, some people prize knowledge over money. That's a good thing. Otherwise we'd probably not have come down from the trees.

As for the vast tracts of land, jungles grow. Fast. And it's had in the order of 500 years with, if the report on the animals reactions to humans is to be believed, no human, or at least almost no, human presence in much of that time to grow over and hide everything that might be seen as human created or modified.

Wealth doesn't mean money, eg precious metals and jewels

How is the life in My Little Ponyland?

Oddly enough, some people prize knowledge over money.

Oddly enough, Conquistadors didn't. Oddly enough, "wealth" never meant "large libraries". "Excuse me peasant, would you indicate the shortest path to the next library or do you want me behead you after a short introduction to Christianity?". Yeah, I think not.

As for the vast tracts of land, jungles grow. Fast.

Relevance?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Oddly enough, Conquistadors didn't. Oddly enough, "wealth" never meant "large libraries". "Excuse me peasant, would you indicate the shortest path to the next library or do you want me behead you after a short introduction to Christianity?". Yeah, I think not."

I suspect you didn't understand what I was referring to. The explorers referred to the "extreme wealth" as per the quote from the article in your OP. Since they are almost certainly archeologists, then "wealth" to them almost certainly referred to the "wealth of knowledge" to be gained from both the city itself and any artifacts they may uncover.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I don't think the conquistadors just strolled into the centre of the South American continent through thick rainforest and took everything they found. For starters, it's quite difficult to travel through thick rainforest when there are no roads, new and exotic diseases to catch, unfriendly natives, and several thousand miles of it to cover when hauling back whatever you happen to find. If the city in question was already abandoned, it would have already been far less accessible than those that were still populated and actively fighting the Spanish invaders.

26. Gartal

Mark Plotkin, ethnobotanist, said: "This is clearly the most undisturbed rain forest in Central America. The importance of this place can’t be overestimated."

Lets get in there and fuck it up.

27. veti Silver badge

"Ethnobotanist"?

As opposed to, what, a regular botanist, who presumably has no interest in such irrelevancies as "species" and "subgroups"?

Seriously, who makes these words up? And why?

1. Sarah Balfour

Re: "Ethnobotanist"?

Ethnobotany is the study of the relationship.between people and plants, just as ethnozoology is the study of the relationship between humans and nonhuman species.

A botanist is merely concerned with the study of plants and their classification in relation to other plants. Without ethnobotany, we'd not know about the miracle of cannabis for example, nor opiates.

Ethnobotany is a very real science. Think of all the hallucinogenics and psychedelics we now know exist.

I'll direct you - and anyone else interested - to http://www.erowid.org.

28. All names Taken
    Alien

(Optional) Tsk you humans

Perhaps wealth in those times placed more emphasis on health, family, food, ... since Banks were not readily available and holes in the wall not really reliable.

The stock exchange did not really get under way for quite a while and as every ruralist knows, you can't eat gold (but it can add a sparkle of something to your daughters/sons weddings?

So maybe extrem e wealth implied a longer lasting relationship with the environment capable of sustaining life for generations rather than a magpie habit of putting stuff (usually non-perishable?) in safe places?

Just a thought that's all - humans? What you like?

Headmaster

Re: (Optional) Tsk you humans

So maybe extrem e wealth implied a longer lasting relationship with the environment capable of sustaining life for generations rather than a magpie habit of putting stuff (usually non-perishable?) in safe places?

Superior new age eco bullshit of impeccable pedigree.

People may have reached the healthy age of 40-50.

They still had to pay the taxman or hide the little they had from his prying eyes. While the leader of state and his sycophants accumulated gilded stuff on which to sit on.

It has always been thus.

a magpie habit of putting stuff (usually non-perishable?) in safe places?

Not very skilled in economics either. This is called "saving". It is what causes investments to happen. Unless (like now) financial repression goes full out like what happens currently (and happend in the roman empire a bit before the crash).

29. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re : Bah!!!

If he was 'illed' - that explains what happened to that long lost Beastie boy.

30. Sarah Balfour
    Devil

i don't think I've given as many upvotes…

…as I have to this thread. Thank you for making a nonhuman hominid, of indeterminate gender very happy.

1. fruitoftheloon
      Pint

@Mr/Ms/Mrs Sarah Balfour: Re: i don't think I've given as many upvotes…

Sarah,

Well said! Have one on me...

Regards,

J.

1. Sarah Balfour

Re: @Mr/Ms/Mrs Sarah Balfour: i don't think I've given as many upvotes…@FruitoftheLoon

Cheers, Loony! Think the only reason I'm still hanging around 'ere is coz no fucker can be arsed to ban me! This isHONESTLY the only forum from which I've yet to receive my marching orders (an it ain't for want of trying, neither!).

I've been here under my real name so long I can't be bothered using an alias.

31. MJI Silver badge

Indy will arrive there to find that Nathan Drake has been and gone.

32. mutt65

Theodore Morde was probably on to something. This is far from a very large area, so knowing even the remotest section to look in, it's found. This should have remained somewhat ethereal in description to trick robbers/thieves/raiders, but it seems not. Hope it remains a mystery and my children will grow up reading about it's "existence" rather than it's pillaging.

If it even exists and hasn't been made up by journosensationalists.

33. Bob H

It's just up the road from what was Television Centre in London isn't it? Where they held the old London Olympics?

34. Yugguy

"This is clearly the most undisturbed rain forest in Central America. ."

EFA:

This WAS clearly the most undisturbed rain forest in Central America. The importance of this place can’t be overestimated."

Now it's fucked.

35. thx1138v2

Geez, Louise!

What will they think of next? Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and now Dark Archeology. Trust us, we know it's there but you can't see it or touch it or take pictures of it. It's OURS. ALL OURS.

I can see one pissed off Monkey God doing bad things - see Richard Prior and the squirrel monkeys

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlxqc_richard-pryor-pet-monkey_news

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon