back to article $250K: That's what Lenovo earned to rat you out with Superfish

Lenovo bagged a paltry US$250,000 from the deal that saw it install the Superfish certificate slurper onto PCs, according to reports. The PC maker was last month caught installing the ad/bloat/malware into its consumer PCs, sparking a very considerable backlash once the software's ability to intercept encrypted website …

1. elDog

Heads will roll?

Doubt it. Doubt we'll ever know how some shitty software was peddled along with the normal bloat.

Offering McAfee AV as a cadeau? You have to be kidding me. Asking the lion to come in and clean up the mess the fox made in the hen house?

Sorta reminds me of those nice little Target/Gap offerings of "free credit reports for the next year" after you've lost all of your vitals to the whole nefarious world. And of course those "credit reporting agencies" are, once again, after your stash.

(Typed on my Thinkpad W701. Probably my last from this brand after buying 20-30 over the years.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Heads will roll?

Possibly after the profits tank.

Lenovo have handed their competitors the perfect advertising tool.

"Buy our products not theirs, they load their up with malware and junk, very dodgy"

1. Steven Raith

Shame that would be a major case of a pot calling the kettle black, eh?

Every major vendors consumer level computers are filled with pish-ware, Lenovos was just marginally more shitty than some others.

Steven R

2. joejack

> (Typed on my Thinkpad W701. Probably my last from this brand after buying 20-30 over the years.)

Really? If Lenovo follows through on their statement about no longer pre-loading bloatware going forward, that would keep them on my shortlist.

1. W. Anderson

If commenter jojack is like most citizens, especially those in Western countries, he will probably have forotten about the Superfish debacle in a few months - a symptom of Attention Deficit Syndrome (ADS) suffered by hundreds of millions - and would probably run to purchase next new Gee-Whiz! Lenovo introduced with some supposedly unusual feature.

I have witnessed this malady many times with all types and categories of technology clients over past twenty plus years.

1. Ian Mason

Prior to the Sony rootkit scandal, I used to buy a lot of Sony kit, since the scandal I have bought no Sony products, not one. I, for one, won't be buying any Lenovo at any point in the future - and I had recent planned to buy a Lenovo Yoga tablet.

1. BongoJoe

I will never buy another Sony again after they threatened to sue me for buying a laptop in the US and then daring to to try to register it with a non-US address so that I could get technical support for it under their 'worldwide warranty'.

Over the years following the Sony television was replaced by another brand, the home cinema amp was replaced, the digital camera was replaced and so on...

The rootkit palaver happened after this time and that would have been the final straw for me if I were still using Sony gear as I consider this Superfish to be more misguided than Sony's rootkit which was, as far as I am concerned, intentional and downright evil.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Odd that this was downvoted. Given the Chinese attitude to loss of face, I expect Lenovo to be extremely careful about its image for at least several years. China seems still to be a very shame-based culture, California not nearly so much (and the UK not at all nowadays).

3. BongoJoe

Really? If Lenovo follows through on their statement about no longer pre-loading bloatware going forward, that would keep them on my shortlist.

Ditto here as I rather like the hardware. Then again I do blast the machine with a new operating system when it comes out of the box.

Of course the problems we face today are now in the BIOS...

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Reminds me of a scene in A Man for all Seasons (Robert Bolt)

Richard Rich has just perjured himself to condemn Thomas Moore to the block.

Moore: "Richard, that's a chain of office you're wearing."

Rich: "Yes, I am Chancellor for Wales."

Moore: "What profit a man who gains the whole world if he loses his soul - but for Wales Richard, Wales."

... but for $250k. I can hardly believe Lenovo are so cheap. Heads should indeed role.

4. BMG4ME

So you'll never buy Target or Gap again? You would let one mistake that didn't even affect you stop you from buying a brand you obviously like? Life is too short and time is to precious to hold grudges.

5. h4rm0ny

Actually, I'd be pretty bloody certain that someone's head WILL roll for this. This is going to cost Lenovo a lot more than £250K and the one thing the heads of a company don't like, is seeing someone's fuckup hit their bottom line. The only people who get a pass are the people at the very top and I seriously doubt that it was the CEO who contemplated the ramifications of installing a new root certificate and intercepting all HTTPS traffic. Somewhere below them will be the person who actually understood what they were doing and that person will not be having a fun time right now.

6. Panum

I think Lenovo's involvement goes deeper. I custom ordered a new Think Pad laptop for my business. When I received it in the mail, it came with software installation CD's yet no CD/DVD player, and the software not installed. My bad for not realizing this configuration, I just assumed all laptops had DVD players. I called customer service to complain about the not so obvious omission and was told "No problem, I'll pass you over to our tech department and they will install the software remotely." So I did the dumb thing being trusting and all and gave their "tech" remote access. The first thing the "tech" did was scan the computer and tell me that I had all kinds of malware and spyware on the laptop and offer to remove it for a fee. I informed them that they were the literal first person to have any access to the computer, so if there was crap on the computer, they must have installed it themselves.

In the ensuing conversation I got rather angry by the obvious obfuscation and attempts to convince me to sign up for regular 'virus removal services'. I tried to end the conversation and the "tech" kept hijacking the cursor so I could not end the session. I had to pull the power on the machine to break the techs control. Turns out the Lenovo "tech" was an outside company, not Lenovo at all.

I will never buy a Lenovo again.

2. maffski

;...promising to never again install bloatware...', '...six month subscriptions to McAfee...'

It may have been a PR disaster but at least Lenovo still have a sense of humour

1. regadpellagru

";...promising to never again install bloatware...', '...six month subscriptions to McAfee...'

It may have been a PR disaster but at least Lenovo still have a sense of humour"

Is it really humor ? I have yet to see anyone else paying their users a sub to an anti-virus company, to clean up *their* mess ... Geez.

3. PleebSmash
    Black Helicopters

Suckerfish

That's chump change to make millions of consumer machines more vulnerable to security services.

1. LaeMing
      FAIL

Re: Suckerfish

I imagine they have alrady lost more than that in sales since it came to light.

(Icon for Lenovo of course).

As a company I have had little dealings with but by default would have assumed they were one of the 'reputable' brands, they have now been relagated to 'another dodgy box slinger' status in my mind. And that will be a very hard perception to change in me now, even if I actually wanted to change it.

1. Captain DaFt

"I imagine they have alrady lost more than that in sales since it came to light."

Amen! $250,000 would buy what, about 400 laptops?

Wonder how many thousands of sales they'll lose over this?

Definitely a poor investment.

1. Charles Manning

oooh... shiny thing over there... lol... Did someone say something about Lenovo? I forgot already.

Nobody remembers anything any more. It won't hurt them for more than a week - if that.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

We order abut 100 machines a year, and were about to switch to Lenovo, now we decided not to. I don't see us going there next year either.

It wouldn't take so many businesses to do the same to actually hurt them. I mean, we're a pretty small fish, but there are people out there who measure their purchases in thousands of units who might be thinking the same way.

2. Someone Else Silver badge
            Alert

@ Charles Manning -- Re: Suckerfish

Nobody remembers anything any more. It won't hurt them for more than a week - if that.

I dunno. More that a few commentards here have likened this to the Sony rootkit debacle, which happened several years ago. I, for one, do not buy anything Sony anymore...and I know I'm not alone.

1. LaeMing

Re: @ Charles Manning -- Suckerfish

Also, reg readers represent a disproportionate portion of people with input into major corporate purchase decisions (I am just a tech, working well below management level, but the decisions in my section on what to get within the provided spec is usually left entirely up to me). And we are less inclined than the average one-off consumer to forget. Or forgive.

3. BongoJoe

Well, there is still the Ratners' Effect which sometimes plays its trump card.

4. Long John Brass

Just goes to show....

Every place I've worked; the SOP has been to flush the pre-installed OS image & re-install.

But these days consumer PC/Laptops etc you don't even have that option; You only get the OEM's rebuild partition

Not so much of an issue for me, most everything I buy (except fondleSlab & phones) get re-imaged with Debian. Maybe MS could do something nice like say .... "Our OS must be installed from OUR media by the END USER"; Won't work of course ... The pubic outrage would be enormous.

So....

. Sony are out due to rootkit

. Samsung are out due to ad injection & voyeuring via your TV

. LG are out due to phoning home all your media watching habbits

. Lenovo are out for on purpose pre-installed scumware.

Who else have I forgotten off my shitlist?

Could it really be that Apple is the last honest platform standing?

Shit; I need off this rock, like right now.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Just goes to show....

I recently also had that kind of moment when I realized some Apple Laptops support Coreboot, but then again Apple hardware doesn't last long enough to get infected by malware. ;)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>. Sony are out due to rootkit

> Samsung are out due to ad injection & voyeuring via your TV

Er whatever.

Sony stopped making laptops last year and sold the VAIO brand. New VAIO laptops are coming soon.

Samsung stopped selling laptops in Europe last year.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/laptop/3573470/samsung-exits-laptop-market-including-chromebooks/

1. Captain DaFt

">. Sony are out due to rootkit

> Samsung are out due to ad injection & voyeuring via your TV

Er whatever.

Sony stopped making laptops last year and sold the VAIO brand. New VAIO laptops are coming soon.

Samsung stopped selling laptops in Europe last year."

Correlation does not imply causation normally, but maybe A had something to do with B?

2. Kubla Cant

But these days consumer PC/Laptops etc you don't even have that option; You only get the OEM's rebuild partition.

I can understand that distributing installation media would increase costs, but why don't they provide an ISO image so you can create your own?

1. Richy Freeway

Microsoft do.

Windows 7 : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Windows 8 : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

There are other links available for office, all direct from Microsoft, just provide them with your legit key and away you go.

To get your Windows 8 key (as they're usually stored in the bios/uefi) you can use pkeyui.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

While MS might offer the Windows software recovery image, what about OEM-specific drivers? From experience they can be a pain for Windows and for Joe Average its just not going to happen.

Lenovo need a kicking over this, and maybe MS should get touch and put a stop to crap-bundling on any OEM deals.

3. regadpellagru

"But these days consumer PC/Laptops etc you don't even have that option; You only get the OEM's rebuild partition"

Yes, indeed, and this just shows MS will have to amend their policy on this, as some vendors are just f***ing bonkers, selling their customers' security for a mere couple of USDs.

Previously, vendors would only add mid-usefull bloatware, but not any security-destroying fuckware. This time is gone.

The model is screwed as hell, and MS has to re-gain control of *their* OS !

4. Swarthy
      Paris Hilton

"But these days consumer PC/Laptops etc you don't even have that option; You only get the OEM's rebuild partition"
      And that really sucks when the HDD goes out. An actual conversation with Tech Support after a hard drive failure:

Me: "My laptop hard drive started making clicking and grinding sounds, and would not be recognized on boot; so I replaced it, and would like to request some installation media, to get the laptop running again."

So-Called-Tech: "Oh, you don't need media, you can just restore from the Recovery Partition. When you turn on the laptop..<goes into spiel on recovering>"

Me: "That hard drive is dead, BIOS would not recognize it, there is a new hard drive installed that does not have the recovery partition, can you send me the install media?"

SCT: "All hard drives in our laptops have the recovery partition, you just need to access it by..."

Me: <Hangs up, installs Mint>

5. Mr Common Sense
      Flame

The Playstation 3 OtherOs debacle is another reason to boycott Sony.

5. Florida1920
    FAIL

offering free six month subscriptions to McAfee antivirus

Dear users: You thought Superfish was bad?

6. Mark 85

Our privacy/security is worth those few dollars?

I wonder why they even bothered then? That speaks how much they value their customers.

As for McAfee.... I wonder how much McAfee paid Lenovo to provide the "protection"?

Pffffffft!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This whole shambles made no difference at all to me. Would never buy Lenovo before, never will now!

1. Christian Berger

The problem is that Lenovo kinda was one of the last remaining "professional" laptop manufacturers. And they are working hard on stopping that.

Another example is them using TPM to rid you of the possibility to replace their UEFI crap with Coreboot:

http://patrick.georgi-clan.de/2015/02/17/intel-boot-guard/

That effectively means you cannot get rid of potential UEFI malware.

8. DropBear
    Trollface

"...Jessica Bennett, who filed against Lenovo and Superfish claiming the “malware” injected smut images into her Yoga laptop"

...as expertly determined during the forensic investigation conducted by her teenage son I presume, who never, ever had any time alone with said laptop prior to the incident, especially not late at night.

9. David Pollard

Changes at the Lenovo site

A couple of days ago the main driver download page on Lenovo's website was largely filled with an advert for a third party utility to scan and download the latest drivers. Presumably this would 'phone home to check every time the machine was booted up. Although initially free, it looked as though $39.95 came into the picture somewhere along the line with another $9.95 for annual subscriptions.

Now there is no mention of this bloatware. Driver details are presented much more cleanly; there is an option to show all the appropriate drivers for a given operating system on a single page. Linux versions aren't yet provided, but one can hope.

The scanner which had been being promoted there now appears to be on 'special offer' on its own site, discounted to $29.95.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Changes at the Lenovo site

>A couple of days ago the main driver download page on Lenovo's website was largely filled with an advert for a third party utility to scan and download the latest drivers.

Strange they got any sales, as I've always used the IBM/Lenovo pre-installed "System Update" utility to keep my various pre-installed drivers and utilities up-to-date. Visiting the driver download site on those occassions when I wish to short circuit System Update (System Update seems to pull it's driver updates from a repository containing all versions of a driver, hence will sequentially step through and install each one in turn until it runs out of updates.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WWJD?

$250,000 is not much more than 30 pieces of silver...

11. breakfast Silver badge
    Facepalm

Another no-show

Just in the market for a new laptop now and Lenovo have definitely put themselves out of the running for me. That said, I'm not sure whether this isn't the ideal time to buy- normally after a company has been caught doing something intensely unethical, they are well behaved for a few months until their marketing departments decide that everyone has forgotten about it.

12. Paul Herber Silver badge

$250,000

$250,000 will barely pay the annual bonus of the marketing 'droid who thought up this scam

1. regadpellagru

Re: $250,000

"$250,000 will barely pay the annual bonus of the marketing 'droid who thought up this scam"

Indeed, and this shows how low the Lenovo customers' security is valued.

F*ck them, for the 20 ongoing years, really.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: $250,000

Remember this is what Superfish paid Lenovo to effectively place their 'advertisement' on what I assume to be a defined number of systems. Hence the monies represent what Superfish were prepared to pay for the potential 'leads' and sales affiliate commissions they envisaged gaining from this campaign.

What this tells us is that whilst "advertising space" on new PC's will continue to be attractive, the owners/controllers of this space will need to exercise much more vigilance over this space and more carefully curate those 'advertisements' they do permit.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business laptops are another story

You get the system update bloatware free of charge!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Learning experience?

It would be nice to think that Lenovo's experience would act as a warning to other manufacturers, but few seem to have taken note of the fallout from previous similar wrecks such as Sony's woes a couple of years ago.

I wonder how much of the lack of foresight stems from the ad pimping industry's view of itself? A read of most tech sites, even the more mainstream ones, would leave you with the clear impression that such 'services' are universally seen as malware, with even that mass of users who could previously be counted on to be uninterested now developing a dislike for anything likely to play fast and loose with their privacy.

However a trip over to the other side of the conversation on the industry's own blogs and rumour mills would leave you with the distinct impression that they fully subscribe to their own upbeat assessments and view their 'product' as useful to users, and their approach to privacy as fair. About the nearest I've come across to acknowledging any user dissent at all is the odd commentary on the 'immorality of adblocking', still conducted entirely without a hint of doubt.

If firms like Lenovo are completely failing to do their own homework in the round and reading only the ad industry drivel before signing up, its little surprise they are so often apparently taken aback when their 'helpful' bits of malware come to light - it rarely requires much actual demonisation to create a proper full scale shitstorm.

From my own perspective, I find it reassuring that the industry is very definitely its own worst enemy.

15. Anonymous Blowhard

0.1% of profit for 100% bad reputation

Possibly the worst decision since the captain of the Costa Concordia said "Let's have a closer look at that island!"

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

@ Anonymous Blowhard -- Re: 0.1% of profit for 100% bad reputation

See icon --->

16. td97402

It is more than just SuperFish and more than just Lenovo

Wake up and smell the coffee kids. This problem is not new. Just today I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad's system updater program. It offers me a "free" system check, you know, to speed up my computer. I see a small text link to Iolo T&C. Well, I don't really want Iolo System Mechanic or any other 3rd party software added to my system, I just want the manufacturer drivers and utilities updated! Some bean counter at Lenovo decided to monetize this bit of support effort!

Try talking to HP or Dell or Lenovo or Microsoft tech support past your warranty period. Like as not, they'll refer you to "paid support" and your call will be forwarded to some 3rd party outfit in India that will try to upsell you to some annual support plan for the low, low price...

Monetization of formerly complimentary services is the rule these days, not the exception. It won't change anytime soon because most people buy everything based on price and manufacturers respond by dropping the price of their computers to such razor thin margins that they can't afford to also provide free tech support and updates.

17. Erik4872

The problem is margin

I'm an end user computing person, and it's amazing how thin margins on consumer hardware actually are. That doesn't justify this, but you can see how a vendor could see a quick win, any win, in the crap hardware territory that they push out to consumers. This is the stuff you buy at Best Buy/Staples - the $200 desktop or $300 disposable laptop. The $500 business desktop or $900 ThinkPad T series is a whole other class of machine.

Lenovo, HP and the like make good business hardware, and for the most part, the default image isn't loaded with this garbage. The worst I've seen is a free McAfee or Norton trial, and I think the main reason they do this is for the small/medium business types who just use the factory image as-is. They know that most business customers are going to blow away the factory image anyway once they steal the useful stuff off of it and use it to integrate the hardware into their standard image.

If PC manufacturers could somehow just dump the crap-grade consumer hardware, they'd be in good shape. Unfortunately, enough people still refuse to pay more than $400 for a machine. I do give Microsoft points though -- they're helping by allowing savvy users to legally turn in their OEM license key to get a non-bloatware version of Windows. Unfortunately, they're not able to help integrating all the vendor drivers and utilities.

Side note - even on business laptops, it's amazing how much of the hardware requires actual software programs to control it these days. I just worked on getting a new HP EliteBook into our "supported hardware" category, and I needed about 5 non-crapware applications installed just to let me control the hardware!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: The problem is margin

>Side note - even on business laptops, it's amazing how much of the hardware requires actual software programs to control it these days.

Yes, and the worrying thing is the amount of hardware that once was discrete and now can require firmware updates: HDD, DVD/RW drive, Video adaptor, RAID adaptor ...

>I just worked on getting a new HP EliteBook into our "supported hardware" category, and I needed about 5 non-crapware applications installed just to let me control the hardware!

Dell is similar, what I discovered was that the Driver recovery disk was critical (if doing a full clean install) as these installed these poorly documented non-crapware applications and hardware drivers in the right sequence...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get over it....

Seriously, Lenovo is now trying to do the right thing (after an admittedly slow start). Give them a break. It's almost childish the way many of the commentators here are going. They made a mistake, have admitted it, and are making amends. Give them a chance!

19. Hans 1
    WTF?

crapware, malware, and bloatware

I do not understand the outrage, here ... I mean, computers with Windows pre-installed are always full of crapware/malware out of the box (Lenovo are NO WORSE than the others). Then you wanna go and install stuff, like winrar, VLC, OpenOffice etc, and unless you are a g33k, you will most probably download the installer from downloads.com, softonic, 01net, sourceforge, java.oracle.com or whatever which inject crapware/malware into the installers.

As for bloatware, that is the very definition of Windows.

20. Jon Green

"Never again" - oh yeah?

"[Lenovo promised] to never again install bloatware."

Six months later, what do we find? A Lenovo rootkit in the BIOS, overwriting Windows files on reboot with ones that phone home and do goodness-knows what else.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/lenovo_firmware_nasty/

Lenovo started with a box of shells, a twelve-bore and their feet, and continued upwards. Now their feet, legs and genitalia are red smears behind them, and they're working on the lower bowel.

It's like Ratner, in slow motion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like