back to article Ericsson, Telstra and Qualcomm up the ante with 600Mbps demo

Qualcomm, Ericsson and Telstra are set to demonstrate a new tri-carrier LTE-A solution capable of delivering 600Mbps over mobile at this week's Mobile World Congress. Nokia has already managed the same speeds using two carriers with a four-antenna MIMO. However, the Ericsson technology meets the specs of LTE CAT 11, and (so it …

1. Ashton Black

Nice.

At that sort of speeds, could we finally see a reason to ditch the landline once and for all. I mean, even 150MB would put most fibre/cable installations to shame. Alas, I doubt the technology would make it's way to deepest darkest Somerset anytime soon.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: Nice.

It will still have far greater latency than a land line, and the more people that start using it, the less speed each will see.

1. chris 17 Silver badge

Re: Nice.

That's similar to ADSL, although ADSL is saved through lots of bandwidth at the telco side.

most mobile comms are bursty with a few sustained demands like video streaming etc.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Willy Waving

It's meaningless.

Mine's the one with Shannon Nyquist papers in the pocket and graphs of closeness to Shannon Limit for Edge, 3G, HSPA, HSPA+, WiMax, LTE, Flash-OFDMA

1. Ashton Black

Re: Willy Waving

Can you link to what you mean?

I thought the Shannon Limit was to do with Bandwidth/Noise/Error-Correction ratios. I'd be interested to learn more!

2. chris 17 Silver badge

Re: Willy Waving

@Mage

i really don't understand why people complain about others pushing the current envelope. Bill Gates said you didn't need more than 640 KB, one of the richest men on the planet got it totally wrong and made his money of the back of proving he was wrong ever since.

I do think there is a limit as to how much of something is actually useful and how much is surplus, i.e the UK speed limit is 70 MPH but for technical reasons (need revs & gears) my car can do much more than that. If they designed it to do 70 MPH at the edge of its envelope it would be woeful at everything & I'd buy something more spritely.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like