back to article Just want a simple, low-power GPU for your smart-gumble? Try using your Imagination

Getting tired of chip designers bragging how their latest and greatest GPUs are stuffed full of transistors and can process a bazillion polygons a second? Well, Imagination has an antidote – the PowerVR G6020, which is aimed at smartwatches and embedded stuff where a slick 2D user interface is preferred over 3D might. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    WTF?

WTF??

The PowerVR G6020, which is aimed at smartwatches and embedded stuff where a slick 2D user interface is preferred over 3D might.

It's aimed at gear that needs 60 frames-per-second on a 720p display

How the heck does a watch need a 60 fps 720p display?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: WTF??

A watch probably doesn't, but that doesn't mean that there aren't applications that sit in the region of the graph defined thus: Medium resolution, high frame rate 2D interface, low power consumption.

2. theblackhand

Re: How the heck does a watch need a 60 fps 720p display?

Exactly - it should be a 100 fps display to accurately show hundredths of a second.

Sure they could make displays that show even more fps, but that would just be silly...

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Indeed. My existing watches do the job very well with 60 refreshes per minute.

Ah, the march of Tech We Didn't Need continues.

2. gizmo23

Compute performance

With super-low-power processors like this I wonder what kind of compute peformance you would get with a device made up of say 1024 of these (or any other LP core for that matter). If they're only 2.2mm square then the box would be roughly 250mm x 70mm (CPUs laid out on a grid 64 x 16 about 4mm per processor). I presume there are serious limitations like I/O rather than heat and other engineering considerations otherwise someone would have already done it right?

3. recovering grinch

Power consumption please...

...that's what we want to know.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Power consumption please...

We'll never know until it gets into an SoC. It's just a design – it's 12 to 18 months from production.

C.

4. Rimpel

Euugh

Just entered 'gumble' into google, the first hit is from urban dictionary. Thanks so much El Reg...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Euugh

Its very much 'don't need to know'. At all.

This topic is closed for new posts.