back to article US Army plots new petascale monster and 'tactical cloudlets'

The US Army Research Labs (ARL) has put forward a plan to outrun China in the supercomputer stakes, develop quantum computing, and create The Terminator.* In spite – or perhaps because – of a likely budget squeeze, the ARL says it needs to “harness the potential of computational sciences and emerging high-performance computers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sky warrior

I read about it on HPCWire. I could have lived without reading the phrase "tactical cloudlets".

2. Gray
    Facepalm

I feels a headache comin' on ...

In the blizzard of such unimaginable puffery, I see the ghost of the French Maginot line ... reborn in digital dreams.

Think mud ... snow and ice and frozen mud. And bone-weary grunts in the snow and ice and frozen mud. And all the horrors of crushing, unrelenting reality. Then think of idiots in uniform deep inside think-tank chambers dreaming of impregnable Maginot creations.

“significantly increase and tailor advanced computing architectures and computing sciences technologies on the forefront to enable land power dominance.” Ayup, and we'll counter that with a 15-year-old Chinese hacker and a jar full of red ants.

3. Harry Kiri

This is a very good way to justify a huge defence budget without getting shot at.

Sir - I salute you!

Best quote:

"Expertise in scalable algorithm development on heterogeneous parallel computing, neuro-synaptic, quantum annealing, and distributed"

When I put words like this in a funding bid people laugh!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Lunatics in the asylum command and control nothing out there in reality.

"Expertise in scalable algorithm development on heterogeneous parallel computing, neuro-synaptic, quantum annealing, and distributed"

When I put words like this in a funding bid people laugh! …. Harry Kiri

Proving, beyond a shadow of any doubt, HK, that funding people just don’t get what IT is all about …… and are therefore perfectly vulnerable to cyber attack/APT ACTivity/virtually remote reprogramming/sociable re-engineering.

Or would such a public service just be a private enterprise and revolve around the generation of profit, money from nothing and for something interesting? :-)

4. FartingHippo
    Mushroom

"100 petaflop battlespace computer"

A strange tightening of my loins has occured. I clearly need help.

1. Harry Kiri

Re: "100 petaflop battlespace computer"

You're on your own there!

5. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Coat

"dismounted Soldier"???

Is that the latest term for infantryman, or do they just mean any grunt not in a brothel?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like