back to article Apple Watch 'didn't work on HAIRY FANBOIS, was stripped of sensor tech'

Apple has scrapped certain health-monitoring technologies from its upcoming Watch, it's reported, following problems with sensors and regulations. Some of the features are too complicated, while others would have prompted unwanted attention from watchdogs, it's reported. We're told the Watch has failed to meet Cupertino's …

1. Francis Vaughan

Reading comprehension

"Tim Cook implied that the new Apple Watch could help prevent cancer.

In his keynote address at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference, he said: "Some doctors now think that sitting down for long periods is the new cancer,"

Seriously, we know el-Reg doesn't get on with Apple, but if you are going to take swipes at them, you might do a bit better than this bit of primary school level misquoting and lack of comprehension. It is so obviously contrived that it jars as one reads it. It isn't exactly subtle.

1. SuccessCase

Re: Reading comprehension

And in any case, even though Cook didn't say that, it would be ok to imply an activity monitor can help prevent cancer, because it appears sitting on your arse all day is a major contributing factor in the cause of prostate cancer, which actually is a major killer. Can't see it's too controversial or difficult to understand why that might be the case. Take the piss all you like El Reg, but getting up and moving around every 20 or so mins is a very good thing to do indeed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Take the piss all you like El Reg, but getting up and moving around every 20 or so mins is a very good thing to do indeed."

Yes, and of course without the iWatch, it would be completely impossible to do that.

1. danR2

Apparently Tim Cook had never before been confronted with the phenomenon of Apple execs actually being able to stand up unaided before a certain time. And these guys want to build a CAR?

2. John 104

@AC

"Yes, and of course without the iWatch, it would be completely impossible to do that."

Well, you could, but you'd probably be doing it wrong...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rather than introduce a watch, just add an iTaser to the iPhone 6 and instruct Apple customers to keep them in their back pockets. Might also redefine the meaning of leap year.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Yes, just give me ten years of your life

And I'll trade in that puny flab for living muscle

A physique you deserve!

Strong!

Chest and shoulders to hold your shirt up!

Five years ago I was a four-stone apology...

Today I am two separate gorillas!

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Thumb Up

Upvote for the Bonzo reference.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ten years of your life? Why bother, when in just 7 days I can make you a man.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

7 days? That's some complicated sex!

3. kmac499

That's why Nurse's have watches on the outside.. It takes skill and training to take meaningful accurate bio-signs. The time of day is only needed as a datestamp...

1. werdsmith Silver badge

On the outside?

"That's why Nurse's have watches on the outside"

Do you wear yours on the inside?

1. Hellcat

Re: On the outside?

Is that from 50 shades?

1. TRT Silver badge

Wearing watches on the inside.

Pulp Fiction, I think.

2. Sarah Balfour

That's the singular possessive of nurse, NOT A FUCKING PLURAL!!! FFS! What were some of you DOING in English lessons…?!

1. Andy Roid McUser

Grammar Nazi

Think you need one of these watches to keep a check on that pulse and blood pressure.

Best lay off the coffee for a while too.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

" What were some of you DOING in English lessons…?!"

Usually the previous week's English homework...

3. David Pollard

@Sarah: Do you by any chance happen to know the Moderatrix? She used to be very popular in these quarters and your style brings back memories of the happy days when she kept the Reg's Comments in order.

4. Salts

@Sarah

Me, I was looking up rude words in the dictionary

5. mosw

" What were some of you DOING in English lessons…?!"

Fantasizing about nurse's ...

4. Chris G

We are only thinking of your health

That is why we have taken all of the chairs out of the office and replaced them with treadmills.

Ohh the guy with the whip? He's only there to keep time by cracking it regularly!

After reading this article I threw away my chair, now I feel like a new man.

Admittedly one of eighty but...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: We are only thinking of your health

>After reading this article I threw away my chair

Mr Ballmer knows it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"That is why we have taken all of the chairs out of the office and replaced them with treadmills."

I think you have discovered a new source of green energy! We can use treadmill-generators to run our data centres. Dibs on the patent.

1. julianh72

"I think you have discovered a new source of green energy! We can use treadmill-generators to run our data centres."

No ... given the reported battery life issues, you need to be on the treadmill to keep the Apple Watch powered up. Some commentators have noted that this tends to limit the portability of the device, but Apples Execs have been keen to highlight the health benefits of a smartwatch which requires you to be constantly active to keep it charged.

5. Captain Hogwash
    Joke

"failed to meet standards ... arising from hairy arms or dry skin"

So the users were wearing it wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "failed to meet standards ... arising from hairy arms or dry skin"

And that was just the apple Fem Fandroids

2. ThomH

Re: "failed to meet standards ... arising from hairy arms or dry skin"

They were wearing it fine; they were oxidating their blood wrongly.

Cheap shots having been taken, if the story is accurate — developed feature pulled late in the cycle for not working — then it's neither reprehensible nor particularly uncommon.

6. Montague Wanktrollop

Wow!

So a watch that has a feature to set a reminder to go off once an hour is a cancer beater! I'll have 5 of them £400 a pop babies.

Just wish my first generation Casio LED watch back in the 70's had that wild but awesome hourly reminder feature........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow!

Just wish my first generation Casio LED watch back in the 70's had that wild but awesome hourly reminder feature

Oh no, thanks to over 3 decades of R&D, Apple's watch now alerts you ten minutes before the hour.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

"It's quite funny to be in a meeting at Apple and ten minutes before the hour people get up and start moving around, but people like it."

I wouldn't find that funny. I'd find that fucking rude, especially if it's mid conversation / mid negotiation. I'm not about to follow someone around the room with my eyes whilst talking numbers.

Honestly, the shit Apple comes up with thinking it's amazing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

"It's quite funny to be in a meeting at Apple and ten minutes before the hour people get up and start moving around"

It's worth somone producing medical research that states that regular masturbation is good for you. The iWatch could tell you when it's fap time : "It's quite funny to be in a meeting at Apple and ten minutes before the hour people get their lads out and start moving around, but people like it"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>It's worth somone producing medical research that states that regular masturbation is good for you.

It is, for men in their twenties - ejaculating 5 times a week has been linked with lower rates of prostate cancer later in life. For some reason, masturbating in one's thirties doesn't have the same beneficial effect.

Of course, if you are relatively active, take a little care in your hygiene and don't act like a jerk, you can find someone happy to give you a, er, hand.

2. Tim Jenkins

"...medical research that states that regular masturbation is good for you..."

The NHS recommends "breaking up long periods of sitting time with shorter bouts of activity for just one to two minutes", so there's a use for the countdown timer function too...

(http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/sitting-and-sedentary-behaviour-are-bad-for-your-health.aspx)

1. Sarah Balfour

Yes, and the NHS ALSO says that saturated fat and cholesterol cause CVD/CHD, eating fat makes you fat, grains and starches are healthy, calories in > calories out = weight loss. A low-fat/high-carb, calorie-restricted diet = weight loss, eating a high fat diet causes gallstones, eating red meat will kill you… I'm struggling, really STRUGGLING, to think of of a single NHS proclamation containing the tiniest grain of truth - nope, aren't any.

Wanna know why this country is fat and sick…? The NHS is the reason this country is fat and sick. If you wanna remain relatively healthy, simply do the exact opposite of what the NHS tells you, especially when it comes to diet. According to NHS Choices, everything we've been eating since the dawn of man (red meat, saturated fat, cholesterol, etc.) is suddenly gonna kill us and, everything we've only been cultivating for a mere 10k years or so is a health food! The evidence for the bullshit is out there if you look, I'll give you some starter pages:

Http://www.drmalcolmkendrick.org (ex-NHS GP, hounded out of the NHS for telling the truth about saturated fat, cholesterol, statins and CVD/CHD. The 'diet-heart hypothesis' was debunked in the late 70s, yet kids attending med school today are STILL taught it as though it was fact. Dr. Kendrick is also an advocate for a low-carb/high-fat palaeo-style diet. Author of 'The Great Cholesterol Con')

Http://www.dietdoctor.com/faq (blog of Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, Swedish GP, and another LCHF palaeo advocate)

Http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com (website for South African-shot film about the dangers of a so-called 'healthy' Western diet)

Http://www.chrskresser.com (LCHF advocate, health myth debunker, and author of 'Your Personal Paleo Code')

I'll tell this to you straight: the NHS has two ambitions

1. Making the UK the world's fattest and sickest nation

2. Arse-fucking Big Pharma as it does so

Do you realise that many GPs are little more than Big Pharma salesmen…? They're not remotely interested in your health, merely in shoving their employer's latest poison at you, for which they'll receive a decent commission. They draw a big fat NHS salary and another from Big Pharma.

Keep reading that GPs are leaving the NHS due to 'stress'…? I suspect their consciences have bested them and they've been hounded out for speaking the truth.

If anyone who reads this is currently taking any kind of statin, I URGE you to read Dr. Kendrick's book. It could, very literally, save your life. If you're taking statins, chances are you're also taking a PPI and something for GORD (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease). Your GP will tell you that heartburn/acid reflux is caused by EXCESS stomach acid, this is bullshit, heartburn (which may lead to GORD) is actually caused by INSUFFICIENT acid and taking a PPI will increase your risk of developing an ulcer, which will increase your chances of developing gastric cancer and continual acid reflux increases the chance of oesophageal cancer.

I expect a billion DVs for this, but I speak truth…

3. phil dude
        Paris Hilton

Its been done, though I can't be arsed to go find it for you....

Not a surprise really, the prostate needs a good flush once in a while...

Paris, well....

P.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are good reasons not to spend long periods sat down, but there are also other ways to get people to stand that would avoid the issues you highlight.

The easiest would be to design the meeting to incorporate some periods of standing, say after every two points of the agenda. There are plenty of studies that suggest that standing will aid concentration - so attendees will end up giving more attention to the person speaking, not less.

Outside of the meeting and ack at the workstation, one can either buy a dual-height desk, or else just mirror your monitor onto a second display that is mounted higher.

1. bep

From my readings on this, and I an definitely not a doctor, the main thing is to stand up and walk around for a while, even a couple of minutes. So a dual-height desk by itself doesn't actually do the business. Apart from that, standing for long periods gives you sore feet!

3. 45RPM Silver badge

I don’t sit down in meetings. Why should I? I stand - and especially if I’m the one doing the presenting. Occasionally I might sit for a moment to scribble down some notes - but that’s about it. And at least if people are standing, I know that they’re awake and not nodding off. If I had my way, there’d be no chairs in meeting rooms - and it’d have the added advantage of keeping meetings pertinent and brief.

1. Mark 85

I'm not sure why you've been downvoted. There's several companies that I know of that don't have chairs in conference rooms used by employees for the very reasons you stated. Everyone is awake and alert and there's no endless hours of droning on with PowerPoints. The only conference rooms with chairs are where they meet with customers... oh.. and the board room of course.

2. John Tserkezis

"If I had my way, there’d be no chairs in meeting rooms"

I have arthritis in both hips. I won't be standing for a moment longer than I absolutely have to. If the meeting is as pertinent and brief as you claim, email me the details instead - I'll peruse it while I'm sitting on my arse.

Though probably after I've printed it out and I'm on the bog performing some download features - I'm sure you'll understand.

1. 45RPM Silver badge

@John Tserkezis

You’re in the minority, and of course exceptions need to be made - chairs for those who require them, just as lifts are provided for the frail and disabled. The point remains that a) most people don’t need a chair in a meeting and b) most meetings are too long.

Besides, if you’re only going to read the minutes then you’re not going to be in a position to contribute - and you’ll have to accept the conclusions as a fait accompli (and, of course, most of the actions will be on you as an absentee - har har). And if you’re only going to be reading them with your brown eye, you probably don’t deserve the job anyway.

4. Tom 35

But it's the big boss that's the first one up and walking so everyone else has to do it too. You want to be a team player right?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Progression

August 2014: All tech sites: "This Apple iWatch will be sentient and will cause the collapse of the entire world economy. All problems with all other things will be solved by the iWatch which will definitely be called the iWatch. Literally every human being will own one and they will live forever. It'll run on unicorn tears!"

September 2014: "Announcing... the Apple Watch. We just invented the watch crown too! It'll do nearly everything and will be brilliant. Bye, bye Rolex!"

December 2014: "...er you might have to charge the thing every day..."

February 2015: "sorry, we just had to remove yet another differentiator. It won't have a built in Tricorder and Doctor. But it'll still be quite cool, honestly!"

April 2015: Apple's take on the Moto 360 is released. It's square. It has a choice of coloured and metal straps. It's a watch that needs charging every 10 hours.

June 2015: All tech sites: "OMG! Just wait for v2 in 2016! It'll be sentient and will cause the collapse of the entire world economy. All problems with all other things will be solved by the Watch+ which will definitely be called the Watch+. Literally every human being will own one and they will live forever. It'll run on unicorn tears!"

...and so on...

1. Erik4872

Re: Progression

It's not going to be the Apple Watch +. Next year is an "S" year. It'll be the Apple Watch S. Followed by the Apple Watch 2, Apple Watch 2 Titanium-With-Gold-Accents (Early 2017), Apple Watch With Retina Display (Late 2017), Apple Watch Air 3, etc. etc.

It's funny how Apple isn't a big fan of reliable model numbers and just describes what something looks like when they do a mid-model revision. Even Mercedes and BMW have letter and number designations, and that's who Apple seems to emulate on the conspicuous consumption spectrum.

(Disclaimer, I actually like some of the stuff Apple produces, but I'm not a big fan of the premium they charge. I do, however, recommend their phones and computers to people who just want working maintenance-free systems for home.)

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

That's who Apple seems to emulate on the conspicuous consumption spectrum.

Apple's marketing and retail owes much more of a debt to Chanel or Dior than to BMW.

Sadly, past experience tells me that I now have to explain that I don't mean this as a put-down: when it comes to marketing what is a fairly everyday product (again, relax - "smartphone" or "tablet" is an everyday product) and achieving a high retail price for it, there's nobody to touch the cosmetics business.

2. John Tserkezis

"It'll run on unicorn tears!"

No it won't. The animal rights people had a whine about making unicorns sad, so the fuel supply has dried up.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spot on. It will probably be the Watch S.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks i-Watch is a creepy name?

9. Electric Panda
    FAIL

Pointless

The health features and likely integration with the iPhone Health app was my only reason to even consider buying one of these.

FAIL, because...

1. Big_Ted
      Thumb Up

Re: Pointless

FAIL, because...

There fixed it for you

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

The health monitoring feature has been replaced

Instead the watch face has got a rounded icon with beatifully crafted kerned text which switches between the retail price, the text "I'm a", and finally the text "Mug me".

11. DrXym

People will still buy them

The Apple Watch will be hamstrung by the same limitations as other smart watches - a screen that turns off, a battery that barely lasts a day, proprietary functionality which requires an phone, and most importantly a lack of reason for being. And it'll undoubtedly cost a lot more too.

I'm sure it will still sell extraordinarily well putting paid to the idea that people in general have any sense.

1. ThomH

Re: People will still buy them

My understanding is that the watch is barely more than a thin client for the phone. So the proprietary functionality part is more severe here than usual.

1. Oninoshiko
        Trollface

"the proprietary functionality part is more severe here than usual."

That's how I describe Apple's entire product line.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

If it's going to have the same functionality as a Pebble but three times the price and a seventh of the battery life you might as well get a Pebble.

1. ratfox
        Trollface

Don't be so negative, it's going to be accurate within 50 milliseconds!

When you miss your train because your Pebble was late by 500 milliseconds, you'll wish you had a real watch; an Apple watch.

2. John Tserkezis

"If it's going to have the same functionality as a Pebble but three times the price and a seventh of the battery life you might as well get a Pebble."

But it won't have an Apple logo. Sadly for some people, this is the all-important purchasing factor.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

But it won't have an Apple logo

...You know that even the real Apple watch doesn't actually have an Apple logo on it?

I think this, not the price, and not the battery life, is the product's Achilles Heel. Without the conspicuous Apple logo, how is everyone else sitting in Starbucks going to know that you've got a real one?

3. Mr_Bungle

"If it's going to have the same functionality as a Pebble". It will, as in literally. One of those hard round objects you find on a beach.

12. Seanmon

I think it's a rather good idea.

The whole smart-wearable-watch tech thing is still a solution looking for a problem, but Apple could well have cracked it here.

It's going to be a fucking fantastic dickhead identifier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think it's a rather good idea.

And the great thing about it is you won't have to go looking for those dickheads, because they'll come and find you and tell you about their new Apple watch.

13. envmod

wearable tack

again, wearable technology demonstrates how totally useless it really is.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: wearable tack

...so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

14. Annihilator
    WTF?

Odd

Funny that the Fitbit Charge HR (and many more beside) can offer this functionality yet Apple can't?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Odd

"Funny that the Fitbit Charge HR (and many more beside) can offer this functionality yet Apple can't"

The fitbit charge doesn't offer "this functionality" (presumably "this functionality" is the stuff the article says Apple are dropping from the iWatch), it just monitors heart rate. The article says that the Apple watch will still monitor heart rate.

1. Annihilator

Re: Odd

Ah ballz... read "development of its health sensor technology has failed to meet standards, with inconsistency from sensor readings, arising from hairy arms or dry skin." and assumed they were including *all* health sensor tech.

15. smartypants

But could this still be the Jesus watch?

Apple get a lot of stick for 'Jesus Phone', but it never really lived up to the hype, being unable (for instance) to turn water into wine at wedding feasts whose guests have drained the bar.

Now if Apple got their finger out and made this new watch thing do that, I may well buy one. I don't even care if I have to recharge it each day.

1. Mark 85

Re: But could this still be the Jesus watch?

Nope.. I won't buy one until it has the "Walk on Water" function enabled.

16. scarshapedstar
    Trollface

Don't worry, Apple!

There's still time to patent "a method for NOT monitoring vital signs on a wearable device". Reverse innovation, bitches!

17. MrNed
    WTF?

White elephant alert

So now an Apple Watch will...:

• allow you to fumble at your wrist to find a wee button that will tell you what time it is;

• ummm...

Remind me, what's the point of these?*

(and this is coming from a low-level fanbois, I.E. like and use Apple hw/sw; don't think Apple == devineBeing)

*Beyond telling the world that you have considerably more money than sense

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: White elephant alert

The watch should, in theory, light up when you raise it up... though at the time of its unveiling they were still ironing out the niggles.

What's the point? Primarily, the ability to read a notification / ignore an unimportant call without having to dig your phone out of your pocket. I can imagine that being useful for some people more than others. That caveat probably applies to a lot of its functions; I for one would find a device that helps me find my phone very useful.

So far, so good - but the above functionality is already available from 3rd party manufacturers, ranging from cheap Chinese websites through to Casio and Citizen.

What the Apple Watch offers over these is a tighter integration of software on the watch and on its companion iPhone, and this thing called Apple Pay. This might prove to be a killer app for some people, but there are some rival payment systems jostling about.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The inside of the wrist isn't hairy

Would it have worked for that segment of oddballs who wear their watch wrong way around? For those who wear it on top of their wrist, it it would require putting sensors in the band instead on the back of the watch. Also, I would have expected in order to measure blood pressure it would need to fit rather snugly, wouldn't it?

It would be nice to have the ability to monitor more stuff, but if it was easy you'd think someone would have done it before. Apple probably had it working well in controlled tests, but found it wasn't nearly so reliable when people were wearing the watches in a more typical day to day fashion.

1. AndyDent

Re: The inside of the wrist isn't hairy

I have hairs over my pulse points on the thumb side and I know guys who are a lot hairier than me.

(Doing kung fu sparring on a muggy, hot day in Australia gives you a good appreciation of how hairy, sweaty and therefore slippery your colleagues' arms can get. The Belgian and Greek guys are a lot harder to block than the Chinese!)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Loathesome casuals.

Delay it until it works. Or send a small tub of vaseline with each watch. That solves both the dry skin AND you can slick back the hairy wrists.

The quicker they get this thing out the closer we are to an Apple cock ring. I for one am getting tired of waiting to "wank different".

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Q. What do you say to an Apple Watch owner?

A. Double espresso to go, please.

21. Cwrw

TIM - the UK's talking clock

Dial 846 and you'd get the talking clock. Now Mr Tim Cook is putting it in an Apple watch for us

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This article is hateful. Not all iPhone users are fatties.

23. Wisteela
    FAIL

Now it does even less

And Tim Cook is a dick.

24. NemoWho

Penny for the Guy

(Haven't stopped by El Reg for, maybe 3 years or so. Paris Hilton still? Seriously guys?)

So, if the supposed "high end" version of the wonderwatch will cost (according to the Wall Street Journal) "more than Apple's current high-end product"... that puts it in the neighborhood of what? $4000+ USD? For a goddamned WATCH.

Any possible chance that a little philanthropy will possibly get in motion soon, Cupertino? Or are you hoarding it all for something..... else? You guys make Scrooge McDuck blush.

inb4 Jobs' half-assed attempt at RED, or Cook throwing a few coins in the HIV fountain. Something genuine, you greedy inhuman, hipster scumbags. Or will the CEO need to contract full-blown AIDS to become the Gates of that disease?

25. Frank N. Stein

As long as none of the other Watch makers get health monitoring working on theirs, this shouldn't be something that anyone will miss.

26. Bobcat4424

The unanswered question

Can you actually use it to tell time? If so, (and it is a big "if") why would you want to?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embarassing Apple..

..Watch! Dropping the fitness bits, heads should roll for this embarrassing episode.

28. Manly Electronics

Manly Electronics

Will people need Apple to remind them when to eat soon ?

29. jai

it's reported

"Apple has scrapped certain health-monitoring technologies from its upcoming Watch, it's reported"

Who is it reported by? two journalists at the WSJ

Who first broke the rumour that the Watch would be able to do all this monitoring? the same journalists at the WSJ last June.

Evidently the WSJ's approach to journalism is to make wild, unsubstantiated claims about a future product before it's been announced. And then, when the final product doesn't fullfill those claims, to then write a story about how the company had to abandon their plans.

http://daringfireball.net/2015/02/the_artful_dodge

30. Lallabalalla

You're wearing it wrong

I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist to prevent me constantly banging it on door frames and stuff. I don't know about you but the inside of my wrist is definitely not hairy, and the sensors would work just fine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like