back to article Firefox record breaker sets the date

Mozilla has finally set a date for the official launch of Firefox 3 - which open sourcers hope will set a world record for most ever downloads in a day. Firefox 3.0 will be ready for download from next Tuesday - 17 June. But the big day, dubbed Download Day, could be delayed if a serious bug is uncovered at the last minute. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Utter tripe

I can imagine these Firefox parties would be the best party in town </sarcasm>. I can't think of ahything more awful than bunch of mouth-breathing FF fanbois all congregating together and "partying" over a web browser.

Pledge to download a browser? Come off it. Pledge to do something worthwhile if you're going to pledge to do anything

El Reg's article summed up FF nicely earlier "...a skinnable memory heap testing tool...". FF3 seems to be the same but minus the Linux 1980's skin. They've replaced the 1980's skin with one that looks like your dad trying to be hip and cool but failing badly.

2. oliver Stieber
    Thumb Down

set a second world record at the same time

For the number of people pissed off because their plugins and flash no longer work.

Way to go.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

timezone?

which time zone are they measuring the 24 hours over? ie. when (preferably in BST) does the 17th start for the purposes of this attempt?

4. Senor Beavis
    Joke

See YOU next Tuesday

Cheeky bast**ds, the lot of you

5. Jolyon Ralph
    Alert

But what timezone?

The Spreadable Firefox page is strangely missing this vital information.

6. AC
    Happy

Wow ..

you firesux fanboys are really lame if you are going to have a party just because a browser is released ...

i mean i knew firesux users were vein but i didnt know they were as bad as mac users

i hope the record attempt fails miserably and i can get a bit of peace and quiet from the fanboy quarters

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Timezone?

The 17th starts and finishes at midnight.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

microsoft update

guarantee they do far more than FF could ever do every month - this is such pointless willywaving, especially when someone like adobe or ms can come along and just stick a dl counter on flash or some critical windoze patch and trounce it.

Stop fucking going on about it!

Paris - because she probably holds it for her downloadable film.

9. Rob Sked
    Unhappy

World Record?

Bah!

Let some Hollywood celeb (correctly) release a personal sex tape along the same lines, and it'll smash this record.

10. g e
    Thumb Up

I already have it

Ubuntu FF updated yesterday (I think) and FF reports as V3.0 now, no beta's or anything.

So you can all SEE ME next Tuesday... oh.. and bring a bottle, K?

11. Edwin
    Paris Hilton

@AC

I can imagine many things worse, one of which is the mouthbreathing iTards when Jobs releases his next PoS

Paris, 'cause even she knows only Opera is better...

(well - that and there's no iTard icon)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What will be the impact on the Internet?

Specifically, will it slow down my pr0n downloads?

13. Mark
    Gates Horns

Don't be a sheep.

Set the download record for Opera 9.5 instead. Released today...

www.opera.com

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

Sour grapes much? I'm no fan of Opera, or many other browsers for that matter, but I can think of better things to do with my time than piss on someone elses' parade.

Like edit my plugins so they work on the current release candidate. =)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Beefy download servers

I hope their download servers fall over under the load, since the alternative is probably that some more important bits of the Internet will fall over under the load and spoil things for everybody else.

Sorry, but my glass is half empty on this one.

16. Robin

Time Zones?

So is that 24 hours on 17th June as in 00:00 - 23:59 in GMT, or US time, or what?

If it's based on GMT, then everyone on GMT+ who gets up early to download it will be jumping the gun, and everyone on GMT- who stays up late to do so, will miss out.

Or is it just based on the date wherever you are? In which case it's not an absolute 24 hour period.

Another school of thought, is that I'm worrying far too much about this. Time for another can of Guinness methinks...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

Has the Reg added an illiteracy service to all the others?

18. Martin Owens

Who let the tards out

The critards are out in force in this thread. I wish El Reg would keep them locked in their cage watching One Foot in the Grave.

Look you don't have to like firefox technically, but at least they're not trying to own the internet like Microsoft, Adobe or any of the other bastards.

Sometimes people should be celibrated because They Do The Right Thing in the face of stupid idiots like the posted above.

19. IanT
    Stop

Not a world record...

You do know that the Flash Player already gets many more downloads than 1.6 million a day?

cf. Ben Forta's blog:

http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm/2008/5/29/Sorry-Firefox-Download-Day-Wont-Set-Any-Records

20. Elmer Phud
    Happy

Torrent

Should be a torrent file - just to piss off Comcast.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Looks like Moz have achieved what they set out to do, with you lot!

You're all slating it, thereby giving it publicity! A lot of you will now go out on chosen boards and slag it of elsewhere, giving yet more publicity. The best thing to do if you don't want anyone to use it, is to simply ignore it.

Me, I have been using the beta's for about 2 months now and love it, far superior to the previous releases.

22. Nexox Enigma

1.6 million?

So that just means 1.6 million people that open their browser, see a popup that offers a new version, then proceed to click "OK"?

Obviously FF has more than 1.6 megausers, so it seems like sort of a given.

I'd wager that Google's index.html gets downloaded more times in a 24 period though. Web pages are files too, you know.

23. David Kelly
    Pirate

why so anti?

I don't get why so many people are being negative about this, especially on a site so full of developers. Firefox's growing competition to IE has forced M$ to wake up and start adhering a little better to W3C standards. That's a good thing don't you think?

You can bang on all you like about Opera but how much market share have they taken in the last five years? This whole "download party" concept may be lame and geeky but at least it is giving FF some publicity.

24. neil

Re:I already have it.

You will find that either rc1 or rc2 depending on which repo you use. Not the final release.

25. Gerry
    Paris Hilton

Let's hope FF3.0 is better than Kestrel !

Let's hope they've made some real improvements, unlike Opera 9.50 which seems to have gone backwards. If you use Delete Private Data, all the Speed Dials waste time and bandwidth by phoning home to refresh the thumbnails.

And Opera's tabbed browsing is now much worse because all the tabs look virtually identical, there are no longer any red and blue buttons to show which is the one to close.

Yup, I know this is the wrong place to post Opera whinges, but the Reg's Kestrel story doesn't have comments enabled.

Paris, because she's not shy about going forward.

26. Bill Gould

@Mark

When they make it not suck, maybe.

27. Paul
    Boffin

So what IS the record?

Has anyone checked?

28. Eddie Edwards
    Joke

What kind of nutjob

What kind of nutjob downloads the new version of a program the day it is released?

Surely you should wait for at least SP1.

29. Jon Brindley
    Flame

Um..

Anyone else think that "firesux" is really grasping at straws for ways of saying

"I don't like this product for no reason other than I took a dislike to it over some arbitrary thing it did differently from how I would've done, were I able, so I'll add some kind of insult to the application into its name and round it off with a nice fat, ultra-cool 'x' so that everyone knows how cool and hip I am"

Granted, it's shorter.

30. Cyfaill
    Thumb Up

Firefox 3 is real, it runs fine

I use Debian Linux, Lenny -Sid (Future Debian 5)

On a lark I downloaded Firefox 3.0rc1 and installed it (took about 5 seconds to decompress after the download of the compressed file and that was it.)

It just runs and as far as the flash plug-ins were concerned, they were basically auto installed once a site like youtube was visited.

I like the bookmark editor and even though this was a release candidate... It just works, no crashes or bad things... It is pretty fast too. A little faster than Debian, Iceweasel-Firefox 2.0.0.14, but I guess that is the goal along with better security features.

It just sees all of the previous settings and I can switch back and forth between the browser versions without issues.

As far as the gloomy posters are concerned, I think it is a normal reaction to success were jealousy is what happens with those who can't deal with it, or is a normal anti fan reaction now that IE is on the slide to oblivion.

For those who are fence sitting whether to try it or not, my vote is to go for it.

I am using it about 50 percent of the time (comparison checks) and I think it is movement forward for Firefox.

Debian GNU/Linux Lenny-Sid rocks too. Should not surprise those in the know of course.

31. M Brown

Anti sheep

Makes me laugh so much the people who all of a sudden have to like Opera. I would like to bet these are the same people who were all over FF when that wasn't as widely used and was the alternative to IE for the 'cool' crowd. Now that FF has hit it's popularity, people have to jump to the next 'underground' browser, ie Opera until that becomes too widely used. Pathetic

32. Red

How sad

'Firefox fanboys and girls will organise parties'

That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard

33. Robert
    Go

Addons

If they really want to boost downloads, they should have been strongly encouraging Addon authors to update their stuff. Most people won't upgrade until their fav addons are compatible.

34. b166er

Pure Genius

Is the record holder, the Guinness screensaver @1998? The number 1.6 million seems to ring a bell.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ the strange people who cannot grasp the concept of 24 hours

its a 24 hour period it doesnt matter the timezone your in, it will be 24 hours from when they release it!

36. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Firefox Fanboys - Get IE8

Seriously, Firefox was once cool before the fanboys started up. Now I am ashamed to use it and await IE8 to repair my sorrows.

I believe we should all support Microsofts attempt to re-monopolize the browser world and once they have we can rest assure that they wont update it for a further 10 years. Good ol' MS.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it works

then don't fix it ... I'll be sticking with version 2 until they get the plug-in compatibility issues sorted

38. Paul M.

Not much to cheer about in Freetard land

@Red

Google and IBM own and control free software. Linux isn't going to take over the world anymore. And Micro$oft is going to be around forever.

So the fanboys have sod all else to celebrate.

The question is - with millions in the bank, why isn't the Mozilla Foundation paying for these parties?

Freetards seem to earn the "tard" part of the description by working for rich guys for nothing. Which is pretty damn retarded behaviour.

39. Dave
    Linux

Re Sheep

Given how slow it'll probably be to download as part of the crowd, I may well wait a couple of weeks. Plus I'll have a better feel for whether it's even worth downloading it at that point.

40. This post has been deleted by its author

41. JB
    Thumb Up

Time Zone

I'd bet my last pound that the 24 hours in question is PST, as most people downloading this will be on the west coast of the USA. So if you're really that keen on helping them out to get the record, start downloading at 8am on the 18th in the UK.

As for plugins/add-ons, the really important one, AdBlock+, works with FF 3.0, that's all I needed to know!

42. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

See you next tuesday

Brilliant. What other news site could indiscriminately shoe horn in the word c*nt on their front page.

Keep it up guys

43. steve hayes
    Paris Hilton

Firefox 3

Firefox 3 RC2 is fantastic. I will certainly download the final release. Best browser available. Call me a party pooper, but I will wait a day until the download servers are quiet.

Paris, because she is foxy fiery party trouper and knows full well what a final release is.

44. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Let's have out own party

And download Konquerer, Safari, Opera, K-Melleon and all them others instead.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Re:I already have it. By neil

You are wrong. Those of us who had the latest release candidate installed have already been able to apply updates. So we do have Firefox v3. A shame we can't support the record attempt, that is unless we just download it anyway.

As to the rest of you with your miserable posts - get a life.

46. J-Wick
    Thumb Up

Opera, back in the day...

Hey, I was using Opera back in the late 90's - I even *paid* for the full version - v4.0, I think it was.

People paying for web browsers. Times have changed, haven't they...!

47. Jeremy Cordes

FIREFOX USER

I wont be having any kinds of parties, but since safari has gone to shit, I will be downloading and using F.F.. I don't have any choice, and I think the first post said it best. I only hope the next generation of coders and I.T. guys can learn from the current one.

48. Temp
    Gates Halo

Memory hog

I hope it is lesser of memory hog then FireFox 2. It makes IE look better !!!

49. Lupus

Timezones

Yes but if they release it at midnight, WHOSE midnight?

50. Brian Whittle
    Thumb Up

count me in

the only plug in that I used that does not work on this pc (not sure about my vista desktop thats still on 2.14) is safari view

On opera, I used that for ages before changing to firefox (I even paid to get rid of the adverts) but I find that I get less weird rendering of web sites with firefox

51. F Seiler

download party

WTH if i understand them right, the only sensible thing to do there would be to download one copy and spread that internally.

Can't help mozarella's record-attempting servers, but downing one copy and distribute them over decent LAN is surely more efficient than X blokes in a room downloading the same file from a remote server.

Unless of course these people have WAN as fast as LAN (hello, where can i sign up?) or LAN as slow as their remote connection (beh? is it 1Mbit/s? 10Mbit/s? LAN today starts at 1Gbit/s...) .

Either way, such a party can't last for more than a couple seconds + half a dozen minutes install *max*, surely?

Or do they plan to set up a LUG-style install help system? ;)

Either way i completely fail to see the raison d'être of such a thing.

sidenote:

I've ran RC1 for some time on my comps now (apart from the hideous awfulbar i like it), i'll be downloading it probably when it's out. But then again i have "nothing to fear", there is no financial or otherwise really sensible unprotected data on any of my systems. Whether that will be on "day one" or within the days following is not planned yet. Surely i don't feel like mozarella really needs to be helped on a silly record attempt. New version, seems to be an improvement on memory management, fine, but pls don't make a drama out of it.

52. P. Lee
    Coat

to all you haters

Anyone who posts a negative comment is a complete loser.

Oh, wait...

Mine's the one with "TupperWare Party Animal" on the back

53. Syren Baran
    Linux

Out already as far as i can tell

Both "Help->About" and "firefox --version" show version 3.0, without any rc-whatsoever under Ubuntu. Well i guess some people may have to wait longer...

54. Neoc

All I want out of FF3...

...is an easy way to share my bookmarks dynamically around the PCs on my home network. With IE (which I stopped using whenever possible) I only had to modify a Registry setting to point the "Favorite" (sic) folder to a network-shared folder. If I want to achieve the same with FF, seems I have to have to rely on plug-ins which store my Bookmarks on someone's website (which requires me to be on-line at the time), *and* I have to request for them to be updated... bollocks to that.

How hard can it be to have a *user-modifiable* variable which points to the XML bookmark file?

55. This post has been deleted by its author

56. Gabor Laszlo
    Boffin

@All I want out of FF3...

Put your profile on a shared volume, and on every box edit the profiles.ini . The file is located in the application data folder for Firefox:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.ini

Change the Path= line to the new location.

Change the line with the text IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.

57. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Stop

It's just a browser

I must say I tried FF3rc2 and liked it, but I also tried Opera 9.5 and it seems to be a lot faster. The fact that multiple suppliers are competing is paying off for consumers: we are getting a choice of good products for free

58. Joe

Let me be the first to say...

..."but will it work on my ZX81?"

59. Ralph B
    Boffin

@Gerry re: Opera Tabs

Sounds like you need the "Opera 9 Classic Skin"

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=8085&rtype=skin

60. Schroeder
    Gates Horns

@David Kelly

Why so negative ....

Because they're Microsoft shills, paid to be negative about competitors products. They use terms like 'fanboi' and 'zealot' in a vain attempt to paint anyone who uses such products as even more blinkered than themselves. Straight out of the play book that came to light in the Microsoft v Comes case.

The more rabid are familiar usenet trolls, jumping on the cause in a new stomping ground, Sad, but true.

Oh and I was upgraded to FF3 RC2 earlier this week and the few plugins I use, including flash, still work fine. More FUD, whodathunk ...

61. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

unjust world

Where the drones download Firefox, "the new IE", yet Opera, which is superior in every single aspect, gets a very small marketshare.

Even Slashdot are clueless. Headline news, is that Firefox 3 is available next week, but totally Ignore than Opera 9.50 was out, in final form that day. They even added insult to the mix, by putting it later as a footnote, rather than a dedicated news item.

Morons.. Still your loss, enjoy your FF3 bloat and swiss cheese security....

62. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I love Firefox

But goddamn it, STFU already. Set a world record?! I got your world record right here! *grabs crotch*

I also draw your collective attention to an xkcd comic: http://www.xkcd.com/198/

63. Peter Hewitt
    Jobs Horns

@neoc

can't you open firefox using the -p switch and find your profile directory in a shared location?

steve, cause i fear the fanboys are turning into the new itards

64. Matt

FF3

Well, I'm not sure about the party (OK I am, I don't like it). However, I've tried two of the RCs under Windows XP and it seems very good. No plugin problems, faster and better memory usage (by which I mean it uses less).

65. Piers Meynell
    Go

RE: All I want out of FF3...

At the moment I dual boot between Windows and Ubuntu, in addition to the operating system partitions Ive got a small fat32 one where I moved my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles. Both OS' installs look to the profile on the shared partition for the bookmarks, cache, mail etc, that way I can access them whatever I boot in. It didnt require any plugins, just the use of the profile manager (e.g. firefox.exe -P) to tell the app where to look.

Beyond the need for a small home server/always on PC, is there anything stopping you doing the same, but using a network share instead of a partition?

Though its orientated for sharing a partition for dual booting, there's an guide here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=203524

If you specifically just want to be able to sync profiles without messing about with network drives, this might be worth a look: http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/sync-your-firefox-extensions-and-profiles-across-computers-272113.php

66. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: All I want out of FF3...

Just get Opera 9.50, it's boomark/speeddial/notes syncing. You can have all your data synced wherever, including on your mobile, without any hassle whatsoever. You add a bookmark at work, and it magically appears in your browser at home, and vice versa.

67. TimM

Bookmark sharing

"All I want out of FF3... is an easy way to share my bookmarks dynamically around the PCs on my home network"

You can do this very easily with either the Google or Yahoo! toolbar. Centrally store your bookmarks and can access them anywhere in the world that has the relevant toolbar installed.

I use it a lot to access my bookmarks between work and home (used to use the Yahoo one, but since Google added folder support I prefer to use theirs now).

True you need a plugin, stores on "someone's website" (but we're talking Google and Yahoo! here, not Fred the Dodgy Plugin Maker), and have to be online (but who's not online when using a browser? !), and you don't need to request updates as they're synced when you add the bookmark. Doesn't rely on the built in bookmark facility, and works across browsers too (Firefox and IE at least).

68. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

*yawn*

Let IE users use IE

Let Opera users us Opera

Let FF users use FF

etc.

etc.

Who the frak cares... get a job and stop wasting bandwidth posting nonsense.

Last time i checked it was still a fairly free society so stop imposing your crap on others.

Paris, because she likes to suck choice but wont swallow your junk.

69. This post has been deleted by its author

70. Edward Rose

@Neoc

Surely you can put the bookmark.xml on the network somewhere, mount cifs, and symlin to ~/.mozetc.

Unless you you windows, then fair point. Fix it yourself ;) Kidding.

As to parties, try running 7+ tabs on a machine with 256MB RAM. It hurts. Memory improvements are worth partying over.

As to it sucking, well they have definitely lost sight of the lean mean browsing machine goal they once had. Lets hope FF3 is the gentle route back to recover (still a decent browser though).

As to the record attempt. It's not sad. It's purely a publicity stunt. They don't care about the record, making it is publicity, losing it is publicity. A lot of people will only buy stuff TV tells them to.

71. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@NEOC

http://lifehacker.com/395982/opera-95-still-in-the-browser-race

72. Vaughan Trevor Jones
    Pirate

You people seriously

Some people I do not understand, you guys complain how much you hate IE. Then now you are complaning how much you dislike Firefox.

YOU CAN NOT PLEASE EVERYBODY!

73. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

"That's why you'll always find me in the kitchen at parties"

I've heard about divorce parties before, but that's usually a gaggle of drunken old lushes offering moral support in the name of getting even drunker on cheap plonk (or is it the other way round?) but what in the name of god is a firefox party?

Do the nerds actually go around each others houses and bring a bottle of flat Coke and a cold pizza, or is it all done on some obscure IRC channel while the rest of the household is asleep?

/me Dances around the room whooping to the sound of Greenday whilst watching Mitchell Baker spend 1% of this his daily income on the biggest XXXL party ever seen on You Tube.

Russell T Davies and Mitchell Baker should job-swap for a year, innit.

74. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Syren Baran

Common versioning for software:

The last release candidate is binary identical to the final release. So, a release candidate never identifies itself as being a RC. That's what a release candidate is, a possible final release.

But hey, maybe firefox does it's versioning differently.

75. Chris
    Joke

See you next Tuesday

I think I'll download it The Wednesday After That.

76. John Angelico

@ Timezones

On behalf of Mr Ford Prefect the well-known out of work actor, may I remind you all that:

Time is an illusion... Lunch time doubly so!

For myself, I have happily been trying the FF3 RC1 for OS/2 and look forward to more plugins after GA release.

77. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

location bar

location bar/ address bar, needs a disable option. IE6,7 and 8 beta has the ability to to disable searches from the address bar, FF3 dose not; A lot of people have complained about the lack of a disable option, Mozilla has so just ignored. As Mozilla says they know better than users, because their, and I quote "Experienced software engineers and HCI experts" I am overwhelmed and awed by their vast intelligence,

78. Jim
    Thumb Down

location bar

location bar/ address bar, needs a disable option. IE6,7 and 8 beta has the ability to to disable searches from the address bar, FF3 dose not; A lot of people have complained about the lack of a disable option, Mozilla has so just ignored. As Mozilla says they know better than users, because their, and I quote "Experienced software engineers and HCI experts" I am overwhelmed and awed by their vast intelligence,

79. Tony

@M Brown

"Makes me laugh so much the people who all of a sudden have to like Opera. I would like to bet these are the same people who were all over FF when that wasn't as widely used and was the alternative to IE for the 'cool' crowd. Now that FF has hit it's popularity, people have to jump to the next 'underground' browser, ie Opera until that becomes too widely used. Pathetic"

I've used Opera since ver 6 because I like it and don't need a separate email client, looks nicer, is faster, is more customisable out of the box, has everything built in that FF users need a plug-in for, blah, blah etc.

So not pathetic just more canny I suppose.

Paris 'cos she knows a good deal when she sees one.

80. Nigel

Disappointed

I've been running FF3 for a few weeks and I'm not a happy camper.

Longer loading and always requiring input before it will do what it was supposed to do anyway.

Why doesn't it just launch asap then let you fiddle around with updates or revisit yesterday's sites after 10 minutes or so?

It's quicker for me to launch opera mini on my mobile at the moment!

81. Ramon Casha
    Go

24 hours from release

I would expect that the 24 hours start counting from the moment it's released, whatever time zone you're in.

Oh, and some of us don't need much of a justification to consume beer in embarrassing quantities. The party is not just a means to an end.

There is a difference between this and certain other software downloads - this will not be an automated download initiated by your existing software, otherwise Microsoft Update could break that record easily. This is people (specimens of homo sapiens) who actually go to the site and choose to download.

82. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

CAPS LOC CRUISE CONTROL ON!

IT'S NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT TO SAY SO BUT YOGHURT WEAVING HIPPIES ARE HELPING AL-QA*DA BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DESTROY THE WORLD, THE SILENT MAJORITY MUST PUT THEM IN LOONY BIN,

Tony Bliar timbuktu

83. Neoc

Re: Bookmark sharing

Many thanks to the many people who provided solutions for my fix - if *any* of them work across a multi-OS network, you all have my undying thanks.

@TimM: Yes, I was aware of the on-line systems, I was specifically looking for something which did not require me to store my bookmarks in someone else's system.

Again, many thanks to all.

84. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opera is not firefox!

I've used Opera a long time, but other than being faster in rendering webpages (which is a HUGE plus) it's not really comparable with firefox. Firefox isn't just a browser, it's also a platform for a huge amount of plugins which can really make your life easier. Some examples:

I work at many different places with different HTTP-Proxy Settings etc... . It always bugged me that I had to write a script to change my HTTP-Proxy / that I had to change that manually because no browser seems to be able to store a few proxy-settings so that I can choose the right one depending on my location. But as firefox is expendable through some plugins, this is not an issue anymore for me.

Another must have plugin would be NoScript. It's just too insecure to enable scripting when doing webbrowsing, and with opera I always had to either disable or enable scripting for all sites. With NoScript I can individually allow or block any site I'm visiting.

But the main reason why I use Firefox is the Vimperator plugin. With Vimperator you can control Firefox as if it was the popular texteditor vim. As a notebook user this means I don't have to use the touchpad, making my browsing experience way better.

So, Opera might be the better browser, but Firefox is the better program for my case. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way and have a few plugins they just don't want to miss anymore :)

85. Cavehomme
    Linux

FF3 Broken

Great browser but I was gifted with FF3 beta after install Ubuntu 8.04. Screwed me up for a day with plugin incompatabilities.

I worry that FF and Linux supporters are like religious zealouts and can't think rationally any more. Who give a to$$ how many downloads happen on the first day! What we need is a great and WORKABLE browser for which ALL the popular plugins work from DAY ONE !!!!

Sure, it is better than IE, but it is in danger of becoming an uncontrolled pile of poo trying to be hip and keeping all the kids happy.

As a consequence of various issues I am actively testing Opera and now find it an excellent and stable product - massively better than IE and even FF, albeit without all these plugins. Pugins are also possibly an unnecessary security risk. I might just make finally make the full switch to Opera next month.

86. Pete Furtek
    Happy

Firefox3 - Can't understand the fanfare

Fail completely to understand the fanfare surrounding the latest release of Firefox. I've been using Opera for years and have never had the need to look at anything else. So go on give it a go http://www.opera.com/download/

OPERA ROCKS - end of....

87. Dave
    Pirate

where is FF3?

Err, OK, it's Download-Day, but why does mozilla.com still only have a link to FF 2? I'd think after all the Record-Breaking Hoopla, they'd have a big link to FF3 on their site? Did the fine folks at Mozilla forget today is Download Day? Or there a condition to breaking the Guinness record

88. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like