back to article Amazing, cool, wow: Humans naturally use POSITIVE words, and that is GOOD

Unlikely as it may seem to anyone who has ever used the internet, linguistically people really do "always look on the bright side of life," according to a scientific study. The University of Vermont conducted a "big data" study of billions of words across a number of languages and concluded that: "probably all human language …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a load of brilliantly excellent, wonderfully fantastic shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Abso-fucking-lutely.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I ALSO LOOK FORWARD TO A LOGANS RUN FUTURE...

Where this type of research would become one of the pillars of our 30yr society.......come join me friends and together we shall 'renew' at 'Carousel' tonight

3. Florida1920
    Pint

Note to the first three commentards

If I had to post as AC I'd be unhappy too. Cheers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Note to the first three commentards

Yes, because you changed your name by deed poll to Florida 1920 didn't you?

1. Nathan Bonsal

Excellent point. What if glibness, sarcasm, and ridicule are simply alternate methods of being mirthful?

2. Florida1920

Yes, because you changed your name by deed poll to Florida 1920 didn't you?

At least you can track my posts and see that I NATURALLY use POSITIVE words, and that IS GOOD.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can stop digging the hole now.

1. Little Mouse

Ladies - Ladies. Calm down Dears.

Blimey - what this site could do with is a whip-crackin' ball-bustin' foul-mouthed Moderator that takes pleasure in putting people in their place. If you can imagine such a person.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

No moderator needed. This is just a single 'thread' in the tapestry of life.

Your faithfully

MONGO.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Your faithfully, MONGO

As an AC commenter, shouldn't that be signed YANA instead?

2. Captain Hogwash

Or even a moderatrix.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

fluffy, conservatives, tax havens, expenses, daisys, gold bullion, cookie monster, love, smashing, brilliant, insider dealing, fraud, ice cream, fun fairs, whitewash, drones, upbeat, longing, cuddles, dynamic, tinkle.........hows that for positivity?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If I had to post as AC I'd be unhappy too."

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. It is the quality of each posting that matters - not the track record of the poster.

Displaying a unique handle means that someone might be biassed to pre-judge your post before they've actually read or digested it.

1. Mark 85
        Trollface

Is that you Eadon? Nah.. we'd never pre-judge you.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Displaying a unique handle means that someone might be biassed to pre-judge your post before they've actually read or digested it.

And in breaking news, AC rediscovers ethos 2400 years after Aristotle. Good job!

(Eternal September is eternal. And we'll never run out of sophomores, clearly.)

3. LucreLout

"Mr Smith, the lab has delivered the results of your test in record time. Their service levels are astonighingly high and the quality of their results is unimpeachable. You, sir, are HIV positive."

All positive sounding words, but Mr Smiths life just got flushed down the crapper.

I know some pessimists and I know some optimists. The pessimists are happy for the wild eyed optimists to remain so; the optimists are unhappy that the miserable pessimists aren't more optimistic. Who's right?

4. skeptical i
    Happy

Hmmm.

re: "The researchers sourced the words from books, news outlets, social media, websites, television and movie subtitles, and music lyrics. They even collected 100 billion words in tweets."

That may be true (for some value of "true") for the sources used, since there is a sales aspect to all of the above. Life can be a brutal slog, most people "self-medicate" with occasional (or more) doses of happy patter, and capitalist industry steps up to sell the "medicine" (or snake oil, given what passes for entertainment) via books, teevee, social media, movies, et cetera, i.e., the sources reviewed. (Plus there's the "happy people buy more stuff" angle, giving advert-supported media an incentive to pump out happy twaddle as an incentive to keep the advert dollars coming.) When the researchers cull data from bars, support groups, crisis lines, therapists' offices, and other places where people spill their true guts then maybe we'll have something. Having said that, if we didn't have a predisposition to optimism (gullibility?), our species would have taken a hard look at the cost-to-benefit ratio and thrown in the towel a long time ago. [cue: Eric Idle, "Bright Side of Life"]

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Hmmm.

Excellent point. I can't say I've even heard of any modern stories that can compare to the classic tragedies like Hamlet but then I suppose it does limit the ability to do sequels with the same cast.

I was wondering how people rated some of the more frequently used words like "a", "the", "or", "and", etc. as they would seem to be neutral on their own but in different contexts could provoke a different response, e.g. "love and affection" vs "pain and torture".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] I suppose it does limit the ability to do sequels with the same cast."

They do prequels.

1. Tom 13

Re: They do prequels.

Reboots Re-bores and re-imaginings too.

2. VinceH

"I was wondering how people rated some of the more frequently used words like "a", "the", "or", "and", etc. as they would seem to be neutral on their own but in different contexts could provoke a different response, e.g. "love and affection" vs "pain and torture"."

Even less neutral words can mean either something positive or something negative, depending on context: Sick, for example - which some strange people use to convey that something is particularly good. ISTM that a key question therefore is one of how the words were rated - in context, or on their own?

3. Gray Ham Bronze badge

I can't say I've even heard of any modern stories that can compare to the classic tragedies like Hamlet

How about Franz Josef I? ... Brother executed, son committed suicide, wife assassinated, nephew also assassinated, empire disintegrates in the bloodiest war ever seen ...

But, I'm sure Shakespeare would have written it better than what I do.

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I can't say I've even heard of any modern stories that can compare to the classic tragedies like Hamlet

What a bizarre thing to say. Not terribly familiar with contemporary literature, then, are you?

but then I suppose it does limit the ability to do sequels with the same cast.

Yes, because there are no TV or film dramas which end with the deaths of major characters.

as they would seem to be neutral on their own but in different contexts could provoke a different response

Shockingly, people who do computational linguistics are already aware of the limitations of unigram models. In a dim sense, I mean - not with the piercing clarity available only to those who post in Reg forums.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The worst thing that Man did was decide to come down from the Trees - its been all downhill since

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

What a pity the Reg commentator horde do not edit PNAS. so they could share their trenchant critiques with researchers.

5. Nathan Bonsal

It seems that what the boffins have confirmed is simply that those behaviors which conform to the majority use are "correct" and those behaviors which do not conform to the majority are "incorrect".

If trolls use fewer "happy" words, one could conclude that they're less happy than the majority average.

But what if the majority average is heavily skewed by insular, privileged people who are blissfully unaware of their First World status and how it affects their worldview? Might they find someone with a more nuanced and aware perspective as "negative"?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Found a flaw...

...Politicians use 'happy/positive' words all the time, yet they still fuck us lot over!

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Found a flaw...

It's because they're positive we're going to get screwed and that makes them happy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Your logic is undeniable Eddy, have an upvote.

Am i not positive?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

Are you not entertained - Gladiator

7. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Devil

"always look on the bright side of life"

So do I! Using positive language all the time.

You haven't seen my dark side...

1. Teiwaz

Re: "always look on the bright side of life"

It's possible to be 'dark' and 'positive'. You can stil have a dark world view and still have hope.

Expect the worst, and be pleasantly surprised, expect the best and be disappointed.

Our culture is skewed into a polar world view Good/bad|evil, positive/negative, this is expressed in the language as well as law (if it's not illegal, it's legal). It's probably a lot of contributing factors and not just the result of christianitys inheritence from earlier dark/light confrontational cults.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Re: "always look on the bright side of life"

You characterize our culture as "confrontational," I prefer "dualistic." Recall: "God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness." Not direct creation really but separation, with judgement on the good/bad property of light in the same breath. We must assume that darkness has been deemed bad by default. So yes, Judaism is founded on duality just as the first cell began by finding a way to separate the outer from the inner with that all-important discriminatory membrane. Heck, even our brains have two sides!

8. Nocroman

Lets get this straight. Here in Michigan there are two kinds of people. Those that live above the bridge in the upper part of Michigan called Yuppers (you pers). And those of us that live under the bridge in lower Michigan called Trolls. So this load mouthed, ignorant brain dead person should at least try to engage his brain before flapping his jaws, and show a little respect for his fellow Americans.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Here in Michigan there are two kinds of people

I am completely baffled by this post, unless Vermont recently moved to Michigan and nobody told me.

1. skeptical i
        Pint

Re: Here in Michigan there are two kinds of people

UP'ers -- for Upper Peninsula -- pronounced, as indicated above, "YOO-pers". The state of Michigan has two parts, the main "mitten" and the UP that is to the northwest and looks like an appendage of Wisconsin (which it is NOT, I hasten to add; stand down, esteemed Michigander commentards) separating Lakes Michigan and Superior. UP Michigan and mitten Michigan are separated by a bridge that I had cause to discuss with a colleague recently (can not remember why) but that conversation veered to the extremely tasty pierogies and other Russian/Slavic ethnic yummies in the UP.

2. Captain Hogwash

re: load mouthed

eeuuwww

9. adnim
    Joke

Fuckoff

see title

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fuckoff

BRILLIANT!!!:)

Am i not being positive?

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pessimists in IT

My friends and colleagues think me a very pessimistic person in that I always have a Plan "B"...and "C"...and....

When things go wrong I fix them with almost ghoulish delight. After nearly 50 years in IT development, and especially IT support, it has evolved as the only way to stay sane.

We are the Cassandras of the modern world. We are doomed to warn of the misfortunes ahead - we are ignored - and then we are the ones who have to suffer the pain of digging the optimists out of their self-made hole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pessimists in IT

My rule of thumb: 'Plan for the worst, hope for the best'......use it for my sex life as well:(

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mad, mad world

Wasn't it a clinical psychologist who said that optimistic people are actually insane by any logical measurement. Whereas those diagnosed as "depressed" usually have a fairly firm grip on reality.

1. Robert Helpmann??

Re: Mad, mad world

Wasn't it a clinical psychologist who said...

Yes, but this study was put together by social psychologists, an altogether different breed. I cannot imagine a shrink coming up with the following:

"We also show how our word evaluations can be used to construct physical-like instruments for both real-time and offline measurement of the emotional content of large-scale texts."

WTF? Does this mean they have a script that can filter data from both online and local sources? That's what, three or four lines of code?

13. Ketlan
    Meh

Meh

'El Reg can only assume YouTube comments were not included as a source.'

Nor the Reg comments section of late.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh

Well, thats not very positive is it?

1. Tom 13

Re: Well, thats not very positive is it?

I dunno. I think he was quite positive El Reg comments were not included in the study. And that self-evidently invalidates the entire study.

14. CCCP

If that were true

Then it means liberals post/write more frequently than conservatives. Which may well be true but seems a little counterintuitive.

I recall [sorry no reference] a study suggesting the baffling 50/50 right/left split in most democracies over time is due to instinct (or genetic make-up if you will). Since the right generally complain and are disgusted more about /everything/ than the left, on balance, ceteris paribus, you'd expect the opposite of this study.

[flame away]

1. Mark 85

Re: If that were true

I believe it's there's the age factor here.... as youth, we're optimistic and looking forward to a bright future. As we age, we burn out and since most us work for corporations, we're jaded by all the lies, etc.

Yeah.. I'm older, crankier, and less trustful.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

""liberals post/write more frequently than conservatives."

Conservatives are often the ones with the unbounded optimism that everything will continue as before and nothing can go wrong. Conservatism implies a need for certainty - and a need for certainty implies delusions about the nature of reality.

1. Tom 13

Absolutely false. Liberals are the utopian optimists who think nothing can ever go wrong with their plans to improve people other than themselves. We conservatives take quite a dim view of that because we've had to clean up so many of their utopian failures. Hitler for instance, even though you keep trying to fob him off on us. He had a utopian vision for the future of his people. And of course Mao with the Great Leap Forward. Then there were Lenin and Stalin. I could go on, but there's really no need.

3. Tom 13

Well that study was flawed wherever you found it. The numbers are more like 35 right/25 left/40 center. Where it gets skewed is that the 25% who are left want to get in everybody's face about their morality while the 35% just want to be left alone. The 40% are ambivalent and take no interest one way or the other.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Where it gets skewed is that the 25% who are left want to get in everybody's face about their morality while the 35% just want to be left alone. The 40% are ambivalent and take no interest one way or the other."

The outer reaches of right and left are effectively the same totalitarian mindset. Most of the middle 80% will go along with whoever bribes them or twists their arms the most - the method is immaterial..

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent study, I'm sure their sarcasm detector was a success.

16. Eddy Ito
    Coat

A hydrogen ion walks into a bar, goes up to the bartender and says, "My marriage just broke up so give me a double". The bartender says, "I can see you're in an unstable state, are you sure you want a drink?" The ion says, "I'm positive."

17. Martin Budden Silver badge

Obligatory

There is an xkcd for everything. And sometimes there are two...

http://xkcd.com/202/

http://xkcd.com/481/

18. Grikath

poking holes

As quite a few of the fellow commentards here pointed out in so many words already, the study has a small, but fatal flaw.. : Words are used in context , with inflection, changing their value in conveying meaning.

Which, as the above comments show, is pretty self-evident.

Now ordinarily this kind of...research would be hailed with a resounding and quite endearing categorisation of "trick-cycling" which strangely enough seems to be lacking in the article. I wonder if all the post-pub neckfilling preamble has incapacitated the editorial staff, or that they've simply fallen asleep at the desk.

1. Swarthy
      Big Brother

Re: poking holes

I find the research to be doubleplusgood; your attitude is ungood and needs an increase: Report to Room 101!

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: poking holes

Your comment has a small, but fatal, flaw: It has nothing to do with the goal or primary conclusions of the study in question.

Even from the abstract, it's clear they're talking about the unigram model. They identify a positivity bias in the use of individual words. They're not making claims about statements. Everyone doing linguistics research is aware that grammatical structure affects meaning.

Or in other words, from the actual paper, which is freely available from the PNAS site:

our major scientific finding is that when experienced in isolation and weighted properly according to use, words, which are the atoms of human language, present an emotional spectrum with a universal, self-similar positive bias

Now, it is certainly possible to raise issues with their methodology and conclusions. Unfortunately "duh, they don't know that words go together" is not a valid one.

But please feel free to repeat the misinterpretations already proudly displayed by your fellows. Better to be popular than right, eh?

19. Sarah Balfour
    Terminator

The only thing I'm positive about is my level of nihilism. And that humane make absolutely fuck all sense to me. Yes, I've been extant on this foetid space-pimple for long enough to be 100% positive (or near enough) that I'm not Homo sapiens. Homo sapiens doesn't understand me, nor I them, ergo how can we be the same species…?

I am, in every sense of the word, except the literal, well and truly FUCKED.

Prob guarantees I'll never win COTW/QUOTW now…

1. Swarthy

Sadly, your lack of understanding of humanity, and humanity's lack of understanding of you does not indicate a species diversion;quite the opposite. H.Sapians understand far more about the migrating habits of the Arctic Turn than they understand about ..frankly anything as it applies to an individual.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am, in every sense of the word, except the literal, well and truly FUCKED.

Well that's a 30 second fix.... Giggity.

</quagmire>

20. CatW

They obviously didn't check YouTube's comments section

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They obviously didn't check YouTube's comments section

Do actual human beings have any part in that whatsoever? I thought it was all bots responding to one another, like the comments on BGR.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like