back to article Netflix to Cuba: Care to spend half your wages to see Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights?

Netflix has begun offering its TV and film streaming service in Cuba, where just five per cent of the 11.27 million-strong population has access to fixed broadband connections. The average monthly salary in the country as of 2013 was $17.77 (471 pesos) a month, according to the most recent figures from Cuba's National …

1. James Micallef Silver badge

All over the world?

"connecting them with stories they will love from all over the world"

Hmmm... Netflix is a great service, however their "International Films" section seem to be limited to British-American joint ventures or British productions. An admittedly cursory scroll through revealed exactly 1 truly 'foreign' film, "Amelie".

1. Jim 48

Re: All over the world?

I don't know which Netflix you are using but my UK account has a lot of foreign films from many & various countries. A cursory scroll through shows around 244 films.

2. Irongut

Re: All over the world?

So you didn't spot all the Japanese and Indian stuff then?

Should have gone to specsavers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Netflix: "471 pesos a month!"

Cuban: "Si, senor".

Netflix: "Tell you what buddy, why don't we just call it a bottle of scotch for cash"?

Cuban: "Arriba!!...mama, we get to watch 'Throne of the Games' tonight!"

Mama: "Arriba!!"

3. westlake

Flip side.

Keeping it simple.

Netflix is less interested in what it can sell to Cuba today then it what it can buy from Cuba --- or produce in Cuba ---- tomorrow for its growing Hispanic audience.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You'll be needing some in-Cuba Akamai with that...

Wiki sez: "Total bandwidth between Cuba and the global Internet is just 209 Mbit/s upstream and 379 downstream."

The downstream bandwidth to my HOUSE is about one-half of that of their entire country.

I think that Netflix is blowing smoke. Unless, gasp, Wiki is out of date.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like