back to article Boffin the boffin and his boffinry pals in double dwarf super-prang alert

A boffin called Boffin and other scientists at the European Southern Observatory say they have spotted an astronomical first: two doomed white dwarf stars that will likely spark a supernova when they collide. The puny pair, in the planetary nebula* Henize 2-428, will crash into each other in about 700 million years, we're told …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fingers crossed that he makes a major discovery...

...so that we can have the Boffin Science Prize, the Boffin Space Telescope etc.

2. Russell Hancock

how did they resist

A coauthor called Dr Boffin and not one Joke, not one....

I feel strangely disappointed in the el reg team...

1. Vulch

Re: how did they resist

S'OK, they refered to it as an astrological first to make up for it...

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Apart from the headline, of course.

C.

1. Russell Hancock

The headline is good but still... Such restraint is not something I expect in articles here... That's half the fun. (the other half being the comments :) )

1. frank ly

"... William Herschel, the man behind Uranus"

Resistance is futile.

3. Johnny Canuck

700 million years!

Thank god, I thought you said 700 years for a minute there.

1. LaeMing

Re: 700 million years!

Needn't worry. Plenty of time to prep the popcorn.

1. Tom 7

Re: 700 million years!

Popcorn? Planetary kernels to the cognoscenti!

4. Mark 85

"It's an extremely enigmatic system," said team leader Miguel Santander-García. "It will have important repercussions for the study of supernovae Type Ia,"

Well, yes it will. But get back to us in 700 million years and let us know how it went. Hmm.. given the distance from us, make that 700 million + 4000 years. I can sleep better knowing that this isn't a problem for awhile.

5. Chris Miller

We could just refer to them

as Quasi-Planetary Nebulae. Then everyone would be happy :)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: We could just refer to them

But...do we know how big it is compared to other planetary nebulae? Maybe it's only a Dwarf Quasi-Planetary Nebula?

6. Denarius
    Coat

the ultimate

in nominative determinism ? Perhaps he should be a physicist ? Mines the one with Rogets in the pocket

7. Uncle Ron

Gutteral throat sound...

(Butthead noise...) He said, "...the man behind your anus."

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Gutteral throat sound...

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.

Fry: Oh. What's it called now?

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Urrectum. Here, let me locate it for you.

8. Bob Dole (tm)

Planetary Nebulae

We'll..

I suppose cock ups like that are to be expected when you trust someone behind Uranus. The main thing is to make sure they don't accidentally probe too far.

9. dsuden

Boffin schmoffin

What is ths unending fascination the Register has with the term, "boffin?" I just did a search of the site and it pulled up 899 pages containing that word. If this publication is going to to insist on being cutesy all the time, at least they could have the decency to try to broaden its repertoire.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Boffin schmoffin

Boffin is a standard term of endearment, reserved for the highest of scientists. Otherwise, you're just an egghead or brainiac.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Boffin is a standard term of endearment,..."

Except when it's somebody's name. In this case I believe Her Maj should give the man a knighthood, for the simple and obvious reason that "Sir Henri Boffin" has such a fine ring to it.

2. Gordon 10

Down voted for facing to realise boffin is one of those rare words that's both hilarious and a sign of respect in spite of seeing it one million times.

Also down voted for searching and failing to notice it's polar opposite - Trick Cyclist.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

dsuden: "What is this unending fascination the Register has with the term, "boffin?"

It is a recurring in joke shared with the regular readership in a similar style to those which appear in Private Eye

10. Hero Protagonist

> "planetary nebula" is a stupid name for something that has nothing to do with planets but it's traditional.

Calling Pluto a planet was traditional too but they managed to get that changed.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: Calling Pluto a planet was traditional too

Percival Lowell and Clive Tombaugh.

Seriously citation needed. I can't imagine people in 1930 being as keen on backronyms as people are today.

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

um... no. Pluto was named for the Roman god of death.

Citation 1

Citation 2

Citation 3

Although, I can see how your mistake was made:

excerpt from citation 3

'In 1930, after Lowell's death, American astronomer Clyde Tombaugh observed Pluto. By tradition, the discovering astronomer of a new space object gets naming rights. But it was an 11-year-old British girl's idea to name the planet Pluto. Venetia Burney told her grandfather that the name fit the new planet because it stayed hidden for so long, and the Roman god Pluto could disappear at will. Venetia's grandfather wrote to Tombaugh and offered the suggestion, and Tombaugh chose it, happy that the name also honors Percival Lowell — the first two letters of "Pluto" are Lowell's initials.'

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So basically you are saying my mistake was to say that Pluto was chosen in honour of Lowell and Tombaugh, whereas your citation 3 - which differs from your citation 2 - says that Tombaugh chose it "happy that the name also honors Percival Lowell".

I can only conclude that your beef with me is that I spell "honor" the British way.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: @ Arnaut the less

Arnaut, I have no beef with you whatsoever. I was merely providing information to counter what I perceived to be an incorrect statement. Offense was neither intended nor taken.

And I do agree with the assertion in your OP title. Calling Pluto a planet WAS indeed traditional. I, too, dislike the apparent double standard.

11. Crisp

Very Large Telescope

Who names these things?

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Who names these things?

Boffins.

Possibly Boffin's boffins.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Very Large Telescope

Leonard of Quirm.

3. Michael Dunn

Re: Very Large Telescope

Who names these things?

Often wondered that; some quite thoughtless!

ALMA - Atacama Large Millimetre Array; What is a large millimetre, and what would an array of them be like?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like