back to article Cuddly robots, whipsmart laughs and plenty of heart in Big Hero 6

Disney still has that cartoon magic. Just look at the awesome phenomena that is Frozen. The latest from the Mouse House is Big Hero 6, the studio’s first cartoon collaboration with Marvel. Rather than go for a showy, already-famous tale, Disney has plumbed the depths of the Marvel collection for a little-known comic, featuring …

1. Andy Tunnah

Loved it

Watched this a few weeks back, and it was brilliant. Plenty of heart too.

Only downside is now I have a yearning to own an inflatable robot.

2. Anonymous Coward
    1. Daniel B.

Re: 2problematic4me

To be honest, Japanese anime also has all their characters round-eyed. San Fransokyo is probably inspired out of some cyberpunk works where Japan takes over San Francisco and the resulting cultural merge. Maybe the author of that particular article is reading too much into it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 2problematic4me

When Japan gives their characters pink, blonde, and blue hair, it's quirky.

When U.S. does it, dat's racist.

Although the author was specifically talking about the source material that the movie is based on.

3. Tommy Pock

Pixar

Don't you dare call Up a Disney film. Disney make shoddy plastic toys and talking electronic Disney Princess cash registers. Up is, was, and always will be, a Pixar film.

1. Richard Wharram

Re: Pixar

John Lasseter heads up Pixar and Disney Animation Studios. They aren't that different now.

4. Oh Bother

Rated PG

Summat to be aware of if you have young kids.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rated PG

SOMETHING!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The "NEW SHMOO"

White BLOB thing looks like the New Shmoo. Al Capp and Hanna Barbera should have a gander.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only seen the briefest of adverst for this but it immediately had me thinking about the giant Stay Puft marshmallow man at the end og Ghostbusters!

7. Sgt_Oddball

I'm looking forward to seeing this on a long haul flight next month. Quiet sad I know but two young 'uns makes cinema trips difficult at the moment.

8. Greg J Preece

I thought it was OK, with some superbly done moments and good humour, but missing something to make me really enjoy it like I have some of their other stuff. I think it's down to some flaws in writing here and there. Hiro's (really, that's the name we're going with?) brother was so perfect and flawless I knew he was dead the minute he appeared. The ending had a couple of cop-outs that just weren't necessary and play out so predictably that there's no tension or drama to them.

Probably the most irritating part of the film, by far, was GoGo. Holy crap, I thought we left these overly-aggressive too-cool-for-school tough-girl stereotypes back in the 90s where they belong. I spent the entire movie wanting her to get crushed by something. If you have, with a straight face, written a character whose catchphrase is "woman up!", go back and try again because your subtlety circuits have completely failed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon