back to article Reddit: Don't worry, we didn't tell that foreign government about your /r/brony addiction

4chan-with-karma-points Reddit has published its first dossier on government demands for users' private records – and the stupidly popular messageboard says it handed over the goods 32 times last year. According to the website's transparency report for 2014, world governments asked for Redditors' details just 55 times, peanuts …

1. solo

Just 50?

55 - 5 = 50 orders from US. They must have put a water hose there now I guess.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This list doesn't contain the number of requests that are still under gag order.

3. The Wolff
    Trollface

Or your /r/hacking enrollment.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Publishing stats is a start

Detailed stats like Reddit's are good to have and should be the norm. I can understand why the state sometime needs to peek and poke, but they need justification, due process and warrants, these are Constitutionally protected rights. The US Emergency requests are a potential grey area and the gag orders, properly executed, remain legal as well. The foreign requests were correctly denied. All in all, a small step towards some kind of transparency and attempt to stop the blanket surveillance policies that some idiotic politicians and their masters seem to crave.

In all, I'd say the Reddit model is one to be emulated by other Internet companies and law enforcement. Shining light on cockroaches might just help to contain and repair the trauma many feel today.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

El Reg?

No comparable stats from El Reg? Please don't say we're not important enough.

6. Sgt_Oddball

makes you wonder

if we're ever going to see consistent laws on the net since they ignored all foreign requests. since uncle Sam's rules always and for ever seem to override any other rule of law (and if it doesn't they'll strop and make everything difficult)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like