back to article Delayed SQL Server 2008 hits release phase

Microsoft's delayed SQL Server 2008 has inched closer to daylight, with the company's first release candidate (RC) code. SQL Server 2008 RC 0 has been made available in three editions - the full database, Express and Express Advanced. Also released for testing is the SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack, consisting of installation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What serious business purpose does 2008 serve over 2000/2005?

Other than enrich MS?

What does it do besides new extensions (read: lockins). Why should I use it?

2. JP Strauss
    Gates Horns

Why should you use it?

Because we say so! Now shut up and give us your money, cerf.

3. David

@Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you should do a little research for yourself?

4. Brett Weaver
    Thumb Up

I'm no MS fan particularly but..

Column compression and other BI improvements.. Significant tuning and configuration improvements. Unlike Vista, this is a real functional upgrade.

5. Matthew
    Happy

JFGI

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc434690.aspx

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Re: What serious business purpose does 2008 serve over 2000/2005

>Why should I use it?

You should use it if you want your DB Apps to run slower and your DB server to consume more memory.

7. david gomm

SQL Svr 2008 improvements

There are a number of improvements to the reporting services elements, these might be useful if your organisation is pursuing an MS based BI strategy.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/reporting.aspx

8. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@AC

Ahh a true DB techie. We don't upgrade our software and we don't leave a huge bloody signpost saying we have been skiving off work looking at El Reg.

I salute you!

Seriously, no point at all, we will be moving to SQL Server 2005 in a few months as its now got some useful functions that would be nice to implement in general AND are actually making it into the software stack. It should be stable as its had 3 years or so to bed in ; )

Whats 2008 got over 2005 in terms of really useful stuff ? Spatial data types ... hmmm ... ummmm ... multimedia streams/types .. hmm .. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrror

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what does it do?

I consider myself a fairly heayweight SQL Server optimiser, and I can't outperform the Merge statement. It's certainly going to be of use to stock control.

Also, the Linq front end will help the objects only sheep who've fallen for Sun's "middle tier / sell more hardware paradigm" propaganda.

It's still missing a few things though, true parallel query, for instance.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Why should you use it?

Obviously only upgrade if you need to but for me it will be the native spatial types that move me over.

Try reading a little bit before automatically assuming it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

table value parameters & Merge statement

^^ no more silly chopping up of delimited strings or passing in bloated XML. Well worth the upgrade in my book. Spatial datatypes? seem a bit niche to me, perhaps I'm lacking imagination.

12. Geoff Mackenzie

Milestone?

Or millstone, perhaps. Sticking with Postgres.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(first-posting AC): OK, mea culpa, should have done some reading first. Apologies all

However thanks for the feedback, most of which was constructive. Not certain there's much there outside of BI worthwhile for any but the very heaviest users (but BI users above say positive things).

Regarding merge, I don't see what it gets you (except lockin). I suppose I'll use it someday and see if I can equal it performance-wise (I too am a good optimiser).

But thanks all.

Oh, and Mr. "You should use it if you want your DB Apps to run slower and your DB server to consume more memory." - that post was about as useless and information-free as mine.

14. Phil Taylor

MERGE as standard

I agee with AC, thanks for the positive comments - Reg could do with more of them.

Just to add my own 2 cents worth, MERGE doesn't actually represent lock in - it is part of the SQL 2003 standard.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like