back to article Snowden reveals LEVITATION technique of Canada’s spies

Canada's very own intel agency has a program designed to track millions of downloads, according to the latest revelations from the Edward Snowden document leaks. The "Levitation" system gives analysts at the Communications Security Establishment (Canada's NSA) data on between 10-15 million uploads and downloads of files from …

1. Otto is a bear.

Golly Gosh

Who would have thought it, what rotters, now pass the ginger beer Algy, and we can get on with something more interesting.

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: Golly Gosh

They prefer dry ginger ale. A different thing altogether.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Blame Canada

We're sorry.

3. AbelSoul
    Big Brother

Couldn't hit a cow's arse...

... with an Atomic Banjo.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

What people are downloading is really not the government's business

The fast majority of it is always going to be everyday stuff like old TV episodes. So for the sake of a fraction of a percent of potentially valuable sessions, the government spies on the general population.

Well, A) raise Hell with your representatives about this kind of thing and B) only use download services that offer encrypted sessions.

Re: What people are downloading is really not the government's business

A) We are. Please go to www.openmedia.ca for the latest in Candian civil liberties battles, with a particular emphasis on fighting for digital rights.

B) Please try www.sync.com. The data is encrypted in flight and at rest. The company is Canadian and the data is stored in Canada. The company cannot access the data it stores, even if it wants to.

If you have further concerns please, I strongly encourage you to support Openmedia. They are are only current organised means of fighting this nonsense, and they work closely with those organizations (such as various First Nations bands) who have even more power in the courts than we do when it comes to bringing our government to heel.

5. Little Mouse

Atomic Banjo?

They're using XCom mission names now?

6. Barry Rueger

What wasn't said...

The Canadian spymasters have been very careful to not say when or if data about "innocent" people is destroyed.

The working assumption is that all of it is being archived indefinitely.

Past experience strongly suggests that it will be cheerfully shared with foriegn goverments, other government agencies, and the inevitable "North Korean hacker."

We have truly reached the point where the only rational assumption is that everything that you do on-line is being watched, recorded, and can be used against you years or decades later.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: What wasn't said...

Did anyone ever think that wasn't the case?

Re: What wasn't said...

"Did anyone ever think that wasn't the case?"

The 99.995% of internet users who aren't highly qualified IT professionals. Even most IT professionals don't have the faintest clue as to the extent of possible surveillance.

7. Hollerith 1

airport wifi?

What is the point of monitoring airport wifi traffic/downloads? Is Johnny Terrorist really going to download the Top Secret Bomb Tips at the last minute, right after getting his boarding pass?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: airport wifi?

I think its more about intercepting last-minute messages to the terrorists like the 'go / no-go' command, or where to meet their fellow terrorists to coordinate the attack itself.

Or maybe they just want publicity for catching a terrorist whenever someone posts something like "God, another delay, I should blow this place up!" to a social media site.

2. thames

Re: airport wifi?

The airport wifi tracking didn't have anything to do with downloads. It was about harvesting device IDs from people who were arriving at airports so they could be tracked across the country whenever they connected to public wifi elsewhere. It was run as a test, and supposedly isn't being used at present.

8. Scott 26
    Black Helicopters

Kim Dotcon

>Megaupload kingpin Kim Dotcom latched onto the leak as something that might help in the ongoing >copyright infringement case against his defunct cyber-locker service. "Our lawyers will seek orders from >Canadian Courts to get access to CSE ‪#Megaupload‬ spy reports. Exculpatory evidence for our criminal >case," he said on Twitter

I thought his lawyers had fired him as a client ... he must have some new ones. Or is lying, like the fat fuck he is.

1. Mark 85

Re: Kim Dotcon

Damn if I know why you got downvoted but I recall that also and his whine about not being able to afford legal representation.

1. Tom 13

He was downvoted because Dotcon has a contingent of Mansonite-like followers on this site. Post anything hinting at the truth about him and it generates down votes. Wear them as a badge of honor. In addition to trawling actual Dotcon stories, they like to trawl Snowden et al. Stories.

1. Mark 85

Yep... it sure does appear to be them. I keep forgetting that El Reg has a large following and certain topics will garner downvotes no matter what your comment is. Climate, politics, Apple, MS.. just to name a few.

9. Robert Helpmann??
    Trollface

I hate to say I told you so...

...but I told you so. On the plus side, the grudging admiration this effort has garnered must sting the NSA more than a bit.

Re: I hate to say I told you so...

The difference is that here the lawsuit is already well into the late planning stages, the funding exists to see it through all the way to the Supreme Court, and the judges tend to be highly sympathetic to the people, not the spooks. In the fullness of time, CES (formerly CESC) will pay for their indiscretions. Canada isn't the USA. Here, at least, the wheels of justice still turn. They turn slowly, but they still do turn.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like