back to article VDI is heading for a minor DAAS-aster

Desktop-as-a-service (DaaS) services are getting good enough, fast enough, that organisations need to consider them as an alternative to desktop virtualisation (VDI). So says analyst tribe Gartner in a new emission, Is DaaS Ready for the Enterprise?, in which it answers in the affirmative, certainly for low-end applications, …

1. Long John Brass

> Pure-play DaaS is already handy for things like desktops for temps, the paper says, largely because it requires no capital expenditure.

Other than the screen, keyboard, mouse plus what ever connects those things to the local LAN

Or am I missing something?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Or am I missing something?"

Standby processor to do the job when somebody else's computer, or the connection to it, goes down.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice tapdance

I like how licensing was set to one side. Sure, having the provider deal with the server side licensing isn't a big deal, however, it those desktops touch corporate licensed software (database, etc.) then you run into CALs, whether per device or per user.

3. kbannan

Do you have to choose?

I'm not sure that more people using DaaS necessarily means that VDI is dead or in trouble. There are very specific use cases for both technologies. In addition, there may be organizations that need and use both -- VDI and DaaS.

--KB

Karen J. Bannan, commenting on behalf of IDG and VMware.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Do you have to choose?

Agreed! This is just more of the same Gartner "the cloud will conquer all" bollocks. DaaS is just one more tool in the toolbox. It will emphatically not kill of VDI.

--Submitted using my crappy Canadian DSL that doesn't do video from an American DaaS provider worth a damn, even when that provider is using the amazing nVidia GRID cards for acceleration.

--Submitted from the VDI instance in my home lab that *is* using GRID cards and provides an experience that wrecks DaaS, and that DaaS won't be able to touch for the next 15 years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon