back to article Euro mobile standards chiefs eye tiny beauty: It's the KEY to 5G

The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), which sets the standards for mobile comms, has just started work on five specifications for millimetre Wave Transmission – the 30GHz to 300GHz range. The new Industry Specification Group on millimetre Wave Transmission (ISG mWT) held its first meeting last week and …

1. Drs. Security

ask the HAMS

Apparently this body is looking for something the amateur radio community is already actively researching.

Several experiments are regularly undertaken with amateur tv connections in the 24ghz spectrum.

Biggest issue with these high frequencies will be influences from the weather (humidity etc.).

Even a wet pane of glass will constitute a 10DB attenuator.

73!

2. Tom Cooke

Large numbers of small cells

Vernor Vinge's "localisers", anyone?

3. leon clarke
    WTF?

Am I being stupid here?

Loads of tiny cells controlled by lower-frequency super-cells? Why not just connect the end-user devices to the super-cell?

1. Trollslayer

Re: Am I being stupid here?

Because 30GHz and up only works over short distances and gets wiped out by rain.

2. Simon Rockman

Bandwidth

3. Panicnow

Presumably the supercells will have wave guides so that they can reuse the standard spectrum more efficiently

1. leon clarke

Ahh. That makes sense

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deja vu all over again

Back nearly 20 years ago while working for Motorola, I chanced upon an internal noticeboard advertising for RF engineers asking for people wanting to work on "3G" at "60GHz"....

If that's the frequency range 5G is one, I think LTE has a very long lifetime, as does Wifi :-)

5. Mage Silver badge
    Alert

Roofs

house roofs to High Altitude platforms.

It's useless for Mobile, even if every lamp post had it. Behaves too much like IR or light links.

Nothing to do with 5G, if anyone ever decides what 5G actually is.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't see such high frequencies being very useful

Line of sight is required, so they don't go around buildings and even the leaves of trees will kill the signal (try to aim your satellite dish through leaves and you'll see what I mean, and that's at lower frequencies)

Without a use case for gigabit links to mobile devices it seems like they're putting the cart ahead of the horse a bit. Not saying we'll NEVER need gigabit links to mobile devices, but maybe a less aggressive version of 5G or further evolution of LTE would be more productive at this point in time.

(Waiting for the inevitable downvotes from the "technology must march on whether it is needed or not" and "if you build it, the use cases will come" crowd)

7. Knoydart
    Boffin

ITU working away on mm wave

So the ITU-R Study Group 5 working party on IMT systems is meeting this week in New Zealand, and future use of mm wave for cellular use (above 6 GHz) is on the agenda. Will be interesting to see what comes out after next Wednesday and heads towards to World Radio Conference at the end of the year in Geneva.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like