back to article Wikileaks: We DO NOT approve of OUR secret stuff being LEAKED

WikiLeaks is demanding answers from Google after learning that the company handed user information to the FBI and didn't acknowledge the incident for more than two years. The whisteblowing site on Monday issued an open letter to Eric Schmidt asking the former Google CEO and current chairman to explain when and where it gave …

1. Mark 85

A conundrum or just stupid people tricks?

As I recall, all those "warrants" are secret and can't be divulged. Google makes no bones about that aren't protecting their users from anything or anyone, except maybe from the competition. It's a given that one uses their services at their peril. So this isn't a surprise.

For WikeLeaks to be upset is understandable but for them to not warn their sources and reportage types about using Google doesn't make any sense and is a surprise.

Cheap shot: Did they send their protest from the Ecuadorian embassy?

2. elDog

Didn't the google boys get lots of $s from the feds?

I don't know this for sure but have heard rumors that there were some significant fundings from certain agencies to help google (and others?) develop their search/analysis craft. It would definitely make sense to get silicon valley, cupertino, seattle/bellevue to do some of the intellectual work and to put a consumer polish on the product (watching you.)

1. Mark 85

Re: Didn't the google boys get lots of $s from the feds?

Google apparently partnered with NSA for a bit on something like that. I'm not remembering what exactly, I'll have to find that article. I thought it was here on El Reg.... hmm... I wonder if I can find it by Googling?

The Googlies and Bingies (and others, including ISP's) do get paid for the info they turn over under the warrant. I've not seen any details only that they were getting paid for the info.

Now whether or not there's also personalized ads to enhance the agent's reading of that data....

2. ratfox

Re: Didn't the google boys get lots of $s from the feds?

Companies who are ordered to give up information about users are allowed to charge the government for the effort. Considering the number of requests involved, the total they charge is probably impressive; but the amount per request is quite low.

1. Turtle

@ratfox

I accidentally downvoted you; I meant to give you an upvote. (It's *very* early in the morning here.) Sorry.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fascinating

I can only draw one of two conclusions. Either the Ecudoran embassy in the US is accepting reservations or the crew at WikiLeaks, and associated reporters, are living under rocks. What part of secret courts with secret warrants not subject to the Bill of Rights do they not understand?

4. Neoc
    Headmaster

"Siphen"?

5. cageordie

How ridiculous

For a group that distributes secrets for a living this is ridiculously naive. As resident aliens, now citizens, in the US, myself and my friends have always expected that the US government would routinely monitor us. And an enemy of the US state, and they have made themselves an enemy, thinks that they should be able to scoff at US security laws and then demand special treatment? Hilarious.

1. solo

Re: How ridiculous

"..distributes secrets for a living.."

That is called free press...alas, one, from the land of the free, has no expectation of privacy and is confusing journalism with snooping.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Enema for the people

> And an enemy of the US state, and they have made themselves an enemy

Anyone that notices that any government is acting illegally should speak out about it, you tosser. Or do you really think that brown nosing the US government will inspire them to treat you as a citizen?

And not shit on you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Enema for the people

You're right, but that's not what Assange did. It just got whatever it could publish to sustain his personal ego and his "dolce vita". Between a true journalist working for the sake of truth and justice, and Assange, there are more light years than from here to the farthest part of the Universe we can see.

When you decide to reveal some secret, you need anyway to be careful and act with citizen interest in mind, and balance the damage you can do with the need to reveal that information because not doing it will be even more a bigger damage to the very foundations a democracy is built upon. Publishing blindly everything just to show off how cool you are (but letting others do the dirty work and then reap all the PR benefits...) it's not the way to do it, whatever good is in your work, it get discredited by many silly act you did.

6. Medixstiff

Interesting that they specifically state "freedom from illegal searches" and also note that a warrant was given to Google for the info.

Sounds like sour grapes on WikiLeaks part.

1. vagabondo

sour grapes ?

I suspect that this is realy partof Wikileaks PR, just reminding/bringing the wider world's attention to the inherent insecurity of "free" communications services. The story has been widely published, and maybe prodded some non-techies to think about the advisability of secure comms.

2. VinceH

"Interesting that they specifically state "freedom from illegal searches" and also note that a warrant was given to Google for the info."

Not only that, but where they call the searches illegal they say ""Had Ms. Harrison, Mr. Hrafnsson, or Mr. Farrell been aware of such proceedings they could have intervened and protected their interests" - I'm not certain, but I suspect when other types of warrant are issued, the subject probably doesn't usually get notification and a chance to hide evidence [if there is any] before the warrant is actioned. The first notification is probably the knock on the door and the loud voice saying "Police! Open up!" Why should a warrant for searching data be different?

There's much I don't like about official attitudes towards electronic bits and bytes, as opposed to physical bits and pieces, but in this case, as you say:

"Sounds like sour grapes on WikiLeaks part."

7. Velv
    Big Brother

Once again the phrase"if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you are the product being sold" is proven to be true

8. Otto is a bear.

Demanding Answers?

Google must be quaking in their boots, running scared from the big bad Wikileaks.

9. LucreLout

Dear Mr Assange

Nobody cares!! You're not relevant anymore. Snowden showed us what a revelation is in terms of leaking files, the best you've managed is to get Brad Manning locked up forever and yourself confined to a couch until you realise you're already in jail, and go face your rape charges. That is all.

Anyone anywhere engaging in any communication of any form that you are not happy for the authorities to read should learn to use encryption, anonymous remailers, secure service providers (Gmail. Really??), and then assume your privacy is compromised anyway.

1. Mark Exclamation

Re: Dear Mr Assange

Great post LL! I wish I could have given you more than one upvote!

2. solo

Re: Dear Mr Assange

".. go face your rape charges .."

I smell some prejudice here. Are you really sure that the charges (read details) and its handling could not be a case of smear-campaign?

10. dr john

Dear Bank Robber / Murderer / Child Abuser / Leaker of secret info / Pick Pocket / Suspect in a case / Phone Hacking Journalist

We wish to check what you are up to and have demanded, with a court warrant, that google give us access to your emails. You have two days to sort things out / hide things / delete things, all in the name of justice and your civil rights.

Oh, and we plan to come round to your house as well, tomorrow at 13:30. Better "tidy it up a bit", eh.

Love,

the FBI

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bad PR

you'd think wikileaks-people would know "a little better" than to use "free" email services provided by a US corporation - and then publicly admit their incompetence and naivety. It looks like underestimate the seriousness of thumbing Big Brother's nose. Democracy and freedom is all very well, as long as you don't step out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like