back to article EU orders horsemeat and chips in equine passport scheme

The European Union will kick off a single passport and chip system next year - but only for horses and donkeys. Well, for now anyway. The scheme is, depending how you look at it, either a cutting edge effort to ensure the security and health of Europe’s horses, donkeys and other equines or a dry run for a chipped and compliant …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Le Cuirot
    Joke

Passports for donkeys?

Those Guernseymen have figured out how to leave the island then?

(eh, local joke)

2. Sordid Details
    Flame

What the f$%k is wrong with these people?

Horses, sheep and goats? Doesn't anyone on Le Continent eat cow any more? Why single them out for special treatment?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Trevor Watt

Great Headline!

It got my digestive jucies going. Now I just have to go over the chanel and get some horseburgers!

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Knackers yard+Darwin=

Evolution says that we should see a new trend in equine behaviour in the next few generations, Horses that know how to destroy their identification papers and build EMP devices to burn out ID chips.

In a couple of hundred years, human society will be returned to the Dark Ages, overrun by hordes of stateless, EMP-equipped SuperHorses.

The one with the packet of French sausages in the pocket please.

6. Dale

ObTerrorism joke

Donkey terrorism effectively neutered. I feel safer already. Bring on the ID cards.

7. Rob Elliott

British horse meat

Why don't the british eat horses? I sampled some on a trip to scandinavia a while back, it was great! at least as good as beef.

8. Robert Simmons
    Coat

Should it not be

the (p)assport?

Mine's the one with an iPhone stitched in the fabric....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Horseburger

Meh. Horse is decidedly inferior meat. IME, etc.

10. mark

nothing new my horse is chipped already

It's just the official linking to the passport direct thats new.

I was disappointed tho I got 20bhp more when I chipped my motorbike, all I got from my horse was an increased irrational fear of plastic bags.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bummer for the shielding

You'll need on *mother* of a tinfoil to protect the privacy of such a horse :-).

12. Dimitrov
    Flame

Don't worry...

you Brits will get an opt-out of it, just like with 99% of everything else. Your asses - pardon, donkeys - are safe.

13. gareth

RE: Don't Worry

wait a minute don't you mean we brits will be the onlys ones who comply and every other EU country will just completly ignore the changes and carry on as they did befor like they have for every other eu ruling they don't like

for evidence of this have you see spanish/greek/italian/french constuction sites or look up british BSE beef ban and read the bit about franch not acepting imports of british beef after the eu ban was lifted

your statement about the working hours must be the one and only case of us fighting an eu law

14. Dr Dan Holdsworth
    Paris Hilton

It already isn't working as planned

The way this has been implemented here at the moment is laughable. At present, you have to get a passport for your horse, but gypsies and travellers are exempted from this rule (mostly because enforcing it would be next to impossible).

Blatant illegal discrimination or good sense? You decide...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

cow chips

And buffalo chips, and road apples...oh I get it!

16. Michael
    Dead Vulture

you're missing the point.

The main purpose of a "passport" is to record innoculations , veterinary treatment , drugs given, etc , including where it was pastured. I mean , even cows are chipped.. ( would you want to check if they grazed near windscale , did they come from the middle east -vaccination against bacillus anthracis in sheep, glanders in donkeys.... not to mention the huge differences in veterinary drug practices in europe as a whole.)

These measures make sense, unless you actually enjoy Roadkill Stew.

Icon , because of the H8 strain , currently in britain... could've been worse.

17. Schultz
    Thumb Up

Passports for donkeys?

Finally, after decades of inaction, they can track the malicious donkey Kong.

18. JJW Spencer

Respect for the beast. Bit like Hindus for cows

Where, in this wide world,

Can man find nobility without pride,

Friendship without envy,

Or beauty without vanity?

Here, where grace is laced with muscle,

And strength by gentleness confined.

He serves without servility.

He has fought without enmity.

There is nothing so powerful,

Nothing less violent.

There is nothing so quick,

Nothing more patient.

England's past has been borne on his back,

All our history is his industry.

We are his heirs,

He our inheritance.

The Horse

19. Florence Stanfield
    Thumb Down

EU SICK

I am a horse lover/owner and I really feel this is the worst part of the EU the horse is not a farm animal to plate up when the oversized belly asks for more.

If it was possible to inject every horse once without dmanaging its health but would render it useless for humans to eat I would gladly start this campaign going..

Hands of UK horses and donkeys they are gentle gients not beasts

This topic is closed for new posts.