back to article 5 Times An 'Unhappy Person' Dared To Use The Word 'Boring' At CES 2015

1: This Year, 69 Per Cent Of CES Attendees Protested Against Dull Speakers With Their Actual Eyelids at #CES #CES2015 when a poor moderator & a guest speaker are boring & don't get what the audience wants2hear you get pic.twitter.com/JqZPLydUWd — Bat-Ami Gordin (@zongrik) January 7, 2015 Sleepy follow! 2: 34 Per Cent …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

???

Not a clue wtf that was about.

Journalism by twitter feed? No, thanks.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: ???

It means:

1) "Bubble blowout soon, fellow CES explorer!!"

2) "Oh really, when?"

3) ....

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: ???

Not a clue wtf that was about.

It's a parody of CES and Buzzfeed.

Back in my day, when people didn't get the joke, they'd slink away quietly in shame rather than whinge about it in the comments.

2. Mark 85

Which is less boring?

1) Attending CES?

2) Watching it on TV?

3) Reading the Twatterati?

4) Watching grass grow?

1. LaeMing
      Meh

Re: Which is less boring?

I must confess, I stopped attending such shows in the late 90s. Probably not a cooincidence that that is when affordable home internet arrived in my area of the world - I simply found that I could get clearer, fluff-flitered information of the company web sites* than on the show floor.

* this was back when the big tech companies used their web sites for providing product /information/, not just eyeball spam.

3. ckm5

I was at CES along with a colleague - we summed it up as "blah, blah, blah, smart, blah, blah, internet, blah, blah, blah, wearable, blah, blah, blah, blah, connected"

Oh, and the "booth babes" have been replaced by impossibly fit women jogging on treadmills with sport bras and very tight pants....

1. ZSn

And the problem with that was what precisely?

1. DropBear

"And the problem with that was what precisely?"

Nothing at all, as long as you don't mind the constant guilt-tripping for not looking like Tarzan yourself (unless you are, in which case never mind).

1. cambsukguy

> "looking like Tarzan yourself "

Not much chance of that around here.

1. dogged

@ cambsukguy

"I've got nothin' against your right leg..."

2. AstroNutter

What, you mean that you don't stand right in front of said woman on treadmill, consuming jam doughnut with fizzy drink or something equally delightful?

3. ZSn

More like the monkey in my case!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And the problem with that was what precisely?

Having occasionally noticed a woman runner wearing a t shirt and shorts blasting past the lycra-clad, arm computer wearing, water bottle with handle carrying expensively trainered "runners" on the canal towpath (and laughing at them), I don't think that this kit is mainly being sold to the super-fit. It's aspirational, like buying an Audi makes you a racing driver.

1. cambsukguy

Re: And the problem with that was what precisely?

The Tuff of the track always beat the rich, public school runners too.

2. Glen 1

Re: And the problem with that was what precisely?

re: 'laughing at them'

why? They're out, and beating everyone who can't be bothered or are 'too busy'

Being shit at something is the first step to being not completely shit at something.

I tried to get into running with shorts/tshirt/regular trainers. After my first few 5k Parkruns, injured my foot, had sore nipples due to chafing (not fun). I couldn't run for 6 weeks. Did I give up? No.

Bought some proper running trainers (got them fitted properly), and a techcical running shirt. been running 5ks most saturdays for 2 years.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It may seem like a basic question

but does "CES" stand for "Consumer Electronics Show"? Does it refer to an event in Las Vegas?

I am not in the consumer electronics industry, and it would be nice if the article at least bothered to state what the fuck it's supposed to be about. I find this sort of careless editing occurring more and more often in the last year or so.

1. Irongut

Re: It may seem like a basic question

Do you live in a cave?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Do you live in a cave?

No. I do not live glued to a telly either, nor have, as already pointed out, a professional attachment or interest in the consumer electronics industry, or the American trade shows industry for that matter.

It would be a simple matter, not to mention good practice, for a journo or editor to clarify the meaning of any acronyms the first time they are used, along with a short sentence explaining the nature of the subject if there is a remote chance that it might not be recognised by the readership--something that I particularly appreciate in The Economist, for example.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

it would be nice if the article at least bothered to state what the fuck it's supposed to be about

Yes, why doesn't everyone take a paragraph to explain their jokes first, for the benefit of anonymous complainers? That's sure to make everything more enjoyable for everyone.

(Ascribing it to "careless editing" was pretty funny, though. Ah, entitlement.)

5. Glen 1

Erm guys...

Fellow commentards, you know this was a spoof article, right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Erm guys...

It does not matter if is it a spoof or not.

The comment about the 'Internet of Things' being boring is right on the nail IMHO.

There is no way in hell that my home is going to be connected up with this shite especially if it is made by Samsung.

2. Ian K
      Trollface

Well, I'd thought it might be, but TBH it didn't really seem to be funny enough to be that.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Shh. Part of the funny is watching the humorless and uninformed gripe about it, and then mocking them.

Indeed, I suspect that's rather the motive for writing such articles in the first place. It's the Reg staff's version of trolling.

No soap, (software-defined) radio?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like