back to article Notebook news: Dell does density, but Lenovo's a lot lighter

January is here and CES is in full swing. That means a fresh crop of new devices, including a refresh to notebook lines for most companies. Two of the more interesting notebooks to have appeared this week are new models from Dell and Lenovo that both look to break new ground in the design space. From Dell, the XPS 13 boasts a …

1. Bassey

Ye Olde Weights and Measures

"1.72lb"

Apparently this is an ancient system used to measure weight by our forebears and equates to 780g - for those equally as baffled as I was.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Ye Olde Weights and Measures

Thanks, I have no clue what pounds, gills, furlongs translate to. In fact, I thought there only were three bears.

1. P. Lee

>Thanks, I have no clue what pounds, gills, furlongs translate to. In fact, I thought there only were three bears.

Young people today! What do they teach you at school?

You may be pleased to know that the "Ye" in the title does not mean "Your" (which wouldn't really make sense grammatically) but the Y is an approximation of the now-sadly-defunct letter, "thorn", which has been replaced by "Th" as in "The"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Young people today! What do they teach you at school?

I am assuming that you are of course being flippant, rather than a bemused left-pondian, but north-central left-pondians (bemused or otherwise) should remember that they make up only a mere 300 M or so of the world's 7 G (~7000 M) population, and the rest of us always or mostly conceive of weights (masses, for the pedants) in kg, so lbs aren't really all that much help for the rest of us in knowing how heavy a laptop is. Didn't the Reg make a policy decision to use standard metric measurements (or the El Reg special measures) not so long ago?

(And while I'm here, similar proportions of the world's population print on A4 paper rather than the baroque boutique special(i)ty of "US Letter". It'd be nice if all software could default to something sensible for those of us in the majority there, too..)

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
            Go

Fight! Fight!

A shilling to hold your coat sir :)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I always assumed that the assumption was that the rest of the world is bright enough to change the printer to A4, but the Americans who write the reviews that determine the success of electronic products would be totally baffled by having to change a printer from A4 to USL, and give a bad review.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>It'd be nice if all software could default to something sensible for those of us in the majority there, too

Oh the butt hurt it must cause to see a former colony completely dwarf the motherland and make it nearly irrelevant.

2. Bassey

> Young people today! What do they teach you at school?

Young people? The Decimalisation in the UK happened in 1971 and I believe schools were required to teach metric units from 1969. You'd need to be in your late 60s to have left school before that all came in. And, though I wasn't born then, I'm reliably informed that they were already teaching the metric system for many years before the act was passed.

1. lotus49

That is indeed the case.

I'm 52 and I remember decimalisation but I was never taught the imperial units which are one of the most idiotic and inelegant things that I have come across in those 52 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

These metric guys need to be more consistent though... like 10 bits in a byte - or maybe we abandon this binary thing altogether and have 10-level bits.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More appropriately for the El Reg reader, 1.72 Pounds is equivalent to 0.23 Milli-Heffalumps.

2. naive

Intel HD Integrated Crappics

> The lightweight laptop is limited to a 128GB SSD and Intel HD integrated graphics. Lenovo said the

> notebook won't be shipping until May and will sport a starting price of $1,299. ®

Intel Integrated crappics and a price of $ 1299,- ?

LOL, is it April 1 already ?.

1. Robert Grant

Re: Intel HD Integrated Crappics

Some pretty nice laptops (e.g. Macs) use Intel integrated graphics; they hold up very well. Not hardcore, but then for the weight you'd be insane (are you?) to expect that.

1. naive

Re: Intel HD Integrated Crappics

You mention it, Macs, Money for nothing and not even chicks for free.

Check some benchmarks on graphics cards, then it is clear Intel HD graphics sucks stones.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

"From Dell, the XPS 13 boasts a full 13in screen crammed into the casing of an 11in notebook model. The Texan PC giant was able to squeeze a couple more inches of screen space into the notebook by nearly doing away with the bezel (the black part around the screen)."

Surprised this got mentioned; but at least Dell have followed the example set by others (such as Compaq with the E500 and IBM with the T60) and made it a high res screen and hence a real feature: 3200 x 1800 resolution and a luminance of 400 (cd/m2).

4. Dave559 Silver badge

But what is the screen resolution?

Physical screen size helps to answer the "will it fit into my rucksack" question, but screen resolution determines whether the laptop will actually be of any practical use for 'work' (of any kind) or not.

So what are the screen resolutions of these laptops? If they are less than 1600×900 (better, 1600×1000), I'm not interested..

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Linux

Re: But what is the screen resolution?

Also... Will it run Linux?

2. Andy Miller

My company spent the extra on a 1600x900 display on my 15.6" (sorry 396.24mm) laptop, and I wish they hadn't. It spends most of it's life tethered to a 1920x1080 584.2mm monitor. As the OS doesn't let me set a font size per screen, I either have the text on my main monitor insanely large or the text on my laptop screen unreadably small. You pays your money...

3. Mark Mu

DELL XPS 13 has two options for the resolution, 1920x1080 or 3200x1800, and Lenovo LaVie Z uses the 2560x1440 screen resolution.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Matt Piechota

Re: Ummmm .... RAM?

Why would you buy a laptop to only plug it into a monitor?

2. lotus49

You should stop using Internet Explorer then.

Coincidentally, I checked the amount of free memory on my laptop about five minutes before reading this and I had 3GB free out of the 8GB on my laptop running Ubuntu and Firefox (and Minecraft at the minute).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Chrome uses way more ram than IE.

6. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

the black part around the screen

You know, I always wondered what 'Bezel' meant.

7. Tinstaafl

Re resolution: That's why I bought a used Lenovo W500 when my 2001 Toshiba 1600x1200 laptop finally died a year or two ago. No one makes laptops with UXGA (or better, WUXGA ie 1920x1200) screens anymore and I didn't want to lose vertical pixels while gaining horizontal resolution, thanks to the lemming-like rush of manufacturers to join the HD 16x9 format. I don't think anyone makes a 1200 vertical resolution screen anymore

Apart from fitting the HD movie format (minus useful screen real estate to fit player controls), what's the benefit? None that I can see. Nearly all my computer use is writing documents, email, or web browsing - all of which suffer on a HD screen compared to UXGA or WUXGA.

And as for the damn near wholesale adoption of glossy screens for everything? Why would you care if colours look brighter when you can't see them while trying to use your fondleslab or phone outdoors, or keep seeing the window or lights behind you while trying to work?

1. lotus49

Glossy screens

I like them but then I live in Yorkshire where the sun doesn't shine all that brightly, particularly not indoors where I tend to use a laptop.

When I start using a laptop on a Californian beach, I shall start worrying about glare but I suspect that day is a long way off.

1. Tinstaafl

Re: Glossy screens

It's not just laptops. Tablets & phones also suffer the glossy screen endemic.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These days, I only ask one question

My first thought, when I read news like this, is "In the smallest bag you can put it in, will it comply with RyanAir's restrictions for a second piece of hand luggage?"

I do wish corporate box tickers would have similar thoughts. The Dell sounds like an ideal business travel laptop for the budget flyer.

9. John Latham

Ubuntu in Feb

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-2015-dell-refreshes-high-end-xps-business-laptop-line/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like