back to article Islamic script kiddies aim killer blow - at Bristol bus timetable website

Bristol residents looking for bus and train timetables were confronted by a message from Islamic militants following a defacement of the TravelWest website. A self-styled "Arab Security Team" called Darkshadow sprayed digital graffiti on Bristol-based travel information website www.travelwest.info. Local reports speculate …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Muslims

OK - this wasn't a mistake - "BRISTOLS" is offensive to certain types...

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

The wrong website defaced with dunerunes

Sad to say, the code quality of tasks outsourced to the sunny southern lands is often at the same level of awkwardness.

Step it up, guys.

1. Ragarath
      Thumb Up

Re: The wrong website defaced with dunerunes

But we get sun down here so we don't have the hours and hours to stay cooped up inside learning code like our Northern brethren.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: The wrong website defaced with dunerunes

This explains finnish coding.

Humanity living on Snowball Earth would reach the Singularity in no time.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This reminds me...

... of the bit from Dara O'Briain's stand-up DVD about the IRA and 'York Model Railway Centre'.

If you've seen it you'll know what I mean

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Given how terrible the buses are in Bristol (thanks to First) they really did a favour for people.

1. h4rm0ny

On the principle that no information is more accurate than wrong information, they probably actually improved the site's accuracy. ;)

5. patrick_bateman

Update your wordpress

they got me with that about 2 years ago, one click plugin update and the whole was covered....

but , this is seriouse......

Dam you karaf timetables!!!!

1. jaminbob

Re: Update your wordpress

Its drupal.

6. Rosie Davies

But it's Brizzle. The timetables are essentially only for (very poor) comedy value anyway and no-one's really that fussed. It's the South West by here, not some madhouse where people measure time by the minute rather than the day of the week like normal people do.

Rosie

1. jaminbob

There's 'real time' info on there too mind.

7. skeptical i
    Devil

Take THAT, infidel transit users!

Using transit and not driving everywhere and consuming petrol to enrich our brothers in the Saudi lands and ...

8. PCS

Muppets

They need to learn how to use search engines before launching scripts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Muppets

They used bing I expect.

1. Ole Juul

They used bing I expect.

More likely it was the bong.

2. Manolo

They need to stop having marriages between first cousins.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

With the sartorial elegance that seems to be de rigeur among da bros, I think they'd probably consider first cousins a tidy result.

2. JPeasmould

Which ones? The Bristolians or the twits defacing the website?

I lived in Bath for a few years and there are some villages nearby where even the dogs have club feet.

9. Richard Ball

Badgers

They must have (quite reasonably) taken the view that the departure of Badgerline bus services signalled a descent for the west country into a hellish, corrupt and godless state that can only be put right with a bit of scribbling.

1. P. Lee

Re: Badgers

Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Mushrooms!

Now I understand.

10. Mark 85

Ah... a defaced website or two...

That will teach us infidels, won't it? I'm assuming that anyone who missed the bus and was late for work could claim that the reason was a "terrorist attack"?

1. TitterYeNot

Re: Ah... a defaced website or two...

I'm assuming it was a translation issue.

They thought they were going to bring the West to its knees, instead they joined the glorious jihad against the West Country

2. Hans 1
      Boffin

Re: Ah... a defaced website or two...

Mark 85

>That will teach us infidels, won't it? I'm assuming that anyone who missed the bus and was late for work could claim that the reason was a "terrorist attack"?

You do not take the bus, do you ? Of course not, if you did, you would know that since the cultural revolution of 1979, you can no longer rely on any time tables for public transport in the UK. You cannot miss a bus, the bus on the time table will be hours late. You do not really notice on busy routes, you do when you have to catch any of the first 3 of the day or you are on a route with poor service.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I searched Google for 'travelwest' and saw this:

Travel West

www.travelwest.info/

Hacked By darkshadow. لا الله الا الله محمد رسول الله. Arab Security Team. Muslum Hackers. Www.Facebook.com/ArabSecTeam. Email : shadow@gmail.com

Muslum Hackers? Bad typists or badly educated? Google only shows Muslum as a Turkish singer.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Vowels (generally) aren't explicitly written in arabic, so you get mohammed/mahmud, osama/usama, all of which are valid transliterations. And, because I suspect I have to spell it out for you, "Muslim" is an arabic word.

2. Pen-y-gors

Curious...

facebook are usually happy to close accounts for the slightest reason (breast-feeding photo?) - how come a hacker/trrrrssst one is still functioning? Ditto a googlemail account?

12. Paul Johnston
    Joke

Is is bad if...

If I click on their facebook link what laws am I breaking.

Supposed to be a joke hence the icon but not so sure these days.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

According to the BBC

Experts Beyond Belief recently declared that that bit of the Magna Carta is still in force. So we have that going for us. (Or was that: The wheels of the carta go round and around?)

13. Terry 6 Silver badge

Security

You'd have thought even a bus timetable site would have had a sensible level of security to keep out intruders wouldn't you. Maybe not for the need to keep out terrorist sympathisers, but at least to protect themselves from practical jokers ( which actually this kind of is) and disgruntled employees/members of the public.

But then, it does seem as if they're in good(?) company - considering the far more serious incidents recently.

1. jaminbob

Re: Security

I think to be fair its a low risk target. There is no sensitive info on a site like that and you can roll back in hours. There is not much point in spending huge amounts on top end sec.

Plus they're in good company. Not many organisations seem to be immune no matter how hard they try.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Security

I did say.....

"....not for the need to keep out terrorist sympathisers, but at least to protect themselves from practical jokers...............disgruntled employees/members of the public"

14. DropBear
    Pint

Uh oh...

Does that mean I should stay away from Bristol Bus-related pubs for a while?!? Naaah.... too hard. As these guy say, Inisall... Inasill... Inshahill... screw it, YOLO.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bristol

And then, something happened....

16. beachmunkey
    Joke

Bus ted!

Ha ha ha... All your bus are belong to us!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like