back to article TalkTalk eyes up Blinkbox for advanced FOURPLAY – report

Budget telco TalkTalk is reportedly pursuing a buyout of video-streaming service Blinkbox from Tesco. In the manoeuvrings to provide mobile, internet, TV and fixed phone services, Blinkbox had looked to be a good move for Britain's biggest supermarket, but while Tesco Mobile has been successful for the retail giant, BlinkBox …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Another WTF photo?

I'm not sure what the huge photo has to do with the story but we've already seen that one recently on another story. I thought the story editors had been given the option not place an image there? No one seem to be using that option much, if at all.

1. Cliff

Re: Another WTF photo?

It's a metaphor.

What part of Purdey and Marty McFly dressed as talktalk lab boffins offering oral sex to a chandelier in a clear recreation of the famous Only Fools and Horses sequence do you not get?

2. Cliff

Quad play offerings

I just don't get it - as a consumer, that's all your eggs in one basket. It's not even like the departments will be integrated properly by the vendor so support will still be piecemeal and brush offs, just with an extra layer of tier 1 script readers to get through.

I can only think the current obsession from vendors is because it's so much harder to make realistic package comparisons with more complex offerings, and harder to switch provider for one underperforming service when you're tied in for all services for long terms.

Either way, doesn't appeal to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Quad play offerings

That description reminds me of the soup-to-nuts insurance packages we have here in the US. Start you with auto insurance and then have the customer pick up life, home owners, ..... How do you compare offerings? How the discounts tie in isn't something that you're going to find online. Individual apples to apples, oranges to oranges, yes.

Another yardstick is that we are operating two home offices in our residence. Good luck trying to figure out how packages compare when they are offer at all. [Comcast specifically excludes home offices.] All part of putting enough aircraft worthy tie-down wires on the (possibly) migrating customer.

3. Buzzword

Tax advantages

There can be tax advantages to buying up a company which has a (hopefully temporary) large loss on its books.

4. montyburns56

How much?

"made a loss of £24.7m on revenues of £3.5m" Wow that is quite impressive, especially for a company that has been going for seven years!

5. James R Grinter

Blinkbox was an acquisition.

(Blinkbox existed before it was a Tesco business.)

We recently tried its service: having to rely upon Silverlight really hurts them, as does their top-up credit approach. I'd be unlikely to use them again, even if they were the only service with the next film I want to rent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blinkbox was an acquisition.

It's built into the Samsung TV I have, seems to work really well and now has Ultravoilet integration in. Not had to top it up as it just bills my card.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like