back to article Titsup Twitter: We've swatted the bug that caused the outage

Twitter reported a partial outage yesterday, which it said had been due to a bug in its "front end code". Many users took to Reddit to complain they could not log into the micro blogging site. Users reported problems on Twitter apps for Android and iPhone smartphones, with tweets via TweetDeck showing up as having been posted …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Twitter goes down and...Life goes on,

2. Mtech25
    Alert

Can we include a warning please el reg

For the Reddit thread may i suggest the following

"for anyone reading the reddit thread, the further you go down the more faith you will loose in humanity."

1. cambsukguy

Re: Can we include a warning please el reg

> "for anyone reading the reddit thread, the further you go down the more faith you will loose in humanity."

Even though I thought that date-related code was pretty much sorted since about 1996 when I started fixing/checking Y2K-related date issues, it would appear that typos can and will cause issues, at least where libraries aren't available or lazy coders can't be bothered to use them. For instance the (presumed) typo in the quoted sentence now means that we will release more faith into humanity if we read said thread.

I see this lose/loose spelling error (not a typo I expect in most cases and almost always that way around) a lot in posts from obviously English-speaking sources.

Makes me lose faith in humanity, although I had little to start with.

Nice to have only first-world problems I suppose.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So a wrong expiration date from the server is a "front end issue"?

Would like then to know how Twitter calls the browser side code. In my mind, back end refers to server, front end refers to browser or end user device in general.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So a wrong expiration date from the server is a "front end issue"?

Front end can mean servers producing public facing content (i.e. formatting HTML to send to the client), where back end would be their own internal admin pages or systems, the database underlying the system and so on.

2. Ben Tasker

Re: So a wrong expiration date from the server is a "front end issue"?

Would like then to know how Twitter calls the browser side code.

Like most people, they probably call it the client-side code.

Front-end code lives on the server (generally doing presentation) - it's the 'front' to your service, which is accessed by clients (whether a browser or an app).

4. Andrew Jones 2

And because Twitter refuse to just use industry standard and well tested 2FA and instead opted to create their own, which requires at least one device to be signed into your account - guess what happened when ALL devices got signed out? I've managed to get 2 accounts signed back in using the backup code, but my 3rd account - is refusing the backup code, and Twitter says that they have sent a login notification to my device (which was signed out) and now I can't get in. Dear Twitter, just use OTP like everyone else!!

5. IGnatius T Foobar
    Thumb Up

Still preferable

Twitter, even when it's completely down, still is better than Facebook.

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Still preferable

But of course when Twitter is down it is preferable to Facebook...

6. Mark 85

So bumping the date one year caused the crash?

Is this a time machine type of thing where at this time next year Twitter and maybe the rest o the 'Net will have ceased to exist?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So bumping the date one year caused the crash?

No no, Twitter from 2015 successfully made it back to 2014 and now has a year to prevent the oncoming digital apocalypse. Granted by coming back, they've already altered the timeline, causing this outage which may unfold to be the cause of the apocalypse.

Only time will tell. Popcorn?

1. Mark 85

Thanks for the clarification. Popcorn? Indeed. Buttered or not?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

From my sources at twitter, the underlying issue was due to some difference between the actual year and the week-year (e.g. difference between %Y and %G in strftime() or YYYY/yyyy in java's datetime formatting) -- 29 December was the first "week" of 2015 by week-year reckoning, the timing lines up with the start of the issue for things keeping track of time in UTC (issue began at 28 December 16:00 PST, PST is UTC-8, so in UTC that is 29 December 00:00).

AC to keep sources private.

7. Rob 44

Sigh.

I'm slowly giving up of twitter anyway. Hailed as a place for freedom of speech it is quickly becoming as censor happy as all other social platforms

Social justice warriors organise and report tweeters they don't like that confront them with facts and figures that dispute their half truths and lies. Next thing you know another account has been banned.

It's getting ridiculous the way twitter pander to these idiots.

I enjoy watching the tumblr feminazi groups fighting with the MRA groups. But now the feminazis employ this report and ban tactic against anyone that dares to prove them wrong. It's gotten tragic to watch the censorship all over the place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like