back to article Kepler's STILL GOT IT! Space telescope spots SUPER-EARTH 180 light years away

The Kepler space telescope might be damaged goods, but the clever hacks created by NASA's boffins have kept it running and it has spotted a new – if distant – planet that could harbor water, just like Earth. "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, Kepler has been reborn and is continuing to make discoveries. Even better, the …

1. fortran

Don't forget MOST

Canada has a microsat up there, which has helped in finding planets. And typical of Canada, no (more) funding. MOST needs things to look for.

http://rt.com/news/215859-most-space-telescope-planet/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's a damn good picture they took.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch
      Alien

re: That's a damn good picture they took.

True. I can even see my house.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: re: That's a damn good picture they took.

You missed the foreclosure notice on the door, Bandersnatch. Looks like planet Detroit.

2. Annihilator

Indeed - imagine how good it would have looked with all 4 spinning reaction wheels working. I expect you could have even spotted the telescope's reflection in the watery surface!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Essentially...

Using the sun as a spare wheel for a broken down telescope in space. I don't even. /me tips hat to the boffins

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Essentially...

Essentially, a kludge solution of using the shield of the spacecraft as a solar sail/stabilizer.

Do which I say, "Fucking cool! Great job, NASA!!!"

A kludge that works is simply an inelegant solution. A kludge that works within 5% of original, showroom floor precision is Fucking cool.

I say, give them a lot more of my tax dollars!

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

The team used the pressure of particles streaming out from the Sun

This suspiciously sounds like someone is not totally in the clear about the difference between the solar wind (not being used) and light pressure (being used).

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"This suspiciously sounds like someone is not totally in the clear about the difference between the solar wind (not being used) and light pressure (being used)."

Or perhaps, they're considering wave-particle duality in this particular case?

Nah, they probably got it bollocks on.

But, I did ponder the solar wind, the pondered the amount extra from the Carrington event, then figured that anyone observing it directly, under a solar sail, wouldn't be experiencing it for very long.

A few additional ergs of pressure would be worth fatal irradiation, yes? ;)

2. cray74

"This suspiciously sounds like someone is not totally in the clear about the difference between the solar wind (not being used) and light pressure (being used)."

Is solar wind being neglected? It is about a factor of 100 weaker than light pressure at Kepler's distance from the sun, but if you're trying to aim Kepler carefully for a long period of time then it might be something requiring consideration in aiming. I mean, sometimes effects even as modest as a few watts of stray infrared heat can budge satellites and probes - the Pioneer Anomaly-No-More.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. life

Plants would look very strange indeed at least in visible light.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Re. life

"Plants would look very strange indeed at least in visible light."

You should see them in ultraviolet light!

I do, now that the cataract is out (the natural lens filters UV, the synthetic one typically does not).

Plants look quite strange in infrared light as well.

2. cray74

Re: Re. life

"Plants would look very strange indeed at least in visible light."

Not necessarily. Most stars - even most "red" dwarfs - would look pretty white to the human eye if you're on a nearby planet because they're usually hotter than any incandescent bulb. A K0 star would have a surface temperature of 5200K, which produces a color balance similar to noontime solar illumination on Earth.

See the center picture for an example of 5200K illumination - it doesn't make much difference once the light source's temperature is above 3000K (like a tungsten bulb):

http://taylortakesataste.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/strobe.jpg

http://ezbackgrounds.com/images/blog/kelvin-color-temperature-chart.jpg

Hopefully any photographers will correct me if I'm egregiously incorrect in applying color temperatures to stellar illumination.

6. Tromos

Mister Kepler...

...makes exceedingly good telescopes.

1. Gert Leboski

Re: Mister Kepler...

Worst Dad-pun ever! Have an up vote.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Mister Kepler...

And exceedingly good graphics cards

7. Pen-y-gors

Further research needed

the planet is either very similar to our own (comprising around three-fourths water and one-fourth rock) or a gas giant with an extended atmosphere, like Jupiter.

Hopefully they'll work out which of the two it actually is before we launch the A Ark full of colonists.

1. Ian Bush

Re: Further research needed

Simple. Just send the B ark out first. Of course the others can follow later.

2. dgw

"Density readings show that the planet is either very similar to our own (comprising around three-fourths water and one-fourth rock) or a gas giant with an extended atmosphere, like Jupiter."

Of course the earth is not three-fourths water by mass (or density), but by surface area. By mass/density the earth is effectively 100% rock.

3. BuckeyeB

Let's see, we're 93M miles from our sun and this planet is 8M from it's star. My bet would be against water.

8. DJO Silver badge
    Facepalm

very similar to our own (comprising around three-fourths water and one-fourth rock

Which planet is that because it certainly is not the Earth, while the surface is quite wet and the crust too contains a fair bit of water the vast bulk of the planet is rock,

The density of the Earth is 5.513 g/cm3 if it was 3/4 water the rest would have to be about 19 g/cm3 which is roughly the density of gold. Is there something about the Earth we're not being told?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

HOLLOW EARTH theory mistakingly CONFIRMED by INTERNET MAGGAZINE!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmph!

The planet could just as easily be 3/4 hydrocarbons and 1/4 rock for all we know.

1. Alistair

Re: Hmph!

The oil companies would like you to believe that.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Hmph!

"The oil companies would like you to believe that."

The oil companies would rather that be a fact.

10. ChrisBedford

"2.5 times the size of Earth"

Ho, hum, typical journalist. Is that 2.5 times the diameter, projected area, surface area, or volume?

Juxtaposed with the next sentence, "But" twelve times the mass, it doesn't really mean anything. If for instance it was diameter, and the average density was the same, you could expect its mass to be over 15 times (2.5 **3 = 15.6) that of Earth.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not visit

I look forward to the planet appearing in the Elite Dangerous galaxy - Frontier have said they would add exo-planets to the game as they were found. Time to fire up the Cobra Mk III and investigate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like