back to article Hack hijacks electric skateboards, dumps hipsters in the gutter

A hacker duo have shown how to hijack "Boosted" brand electricity-assisted skateboards. The boards feature small motors to help riders go up hills, or down hills much faster. An app controls the motors over Bluetooth. Stripe security engineer Richo Healey and penetration tester and Bluetooth expert Mike Ryan found a way to …

1. CADmonkey

"I didn't just fall off...

...I mustabin hacked"

2. AbelSoul
    Trollface

".. you could also just hit them with a car."

Or if that doesn't work, try a wardrobe.

Then maybe a fridge.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: ".. you could also just hit them with a car."

Grand piano, surely?

1. stucs201

Anvil!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

16 ton weight will also do nicely

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mfg.by Apex !!!

2. cortland

I used to work on technological security. IMO the gorilla in the room is that it's cheaper -- and (Snowden, anyone?) to just stir up (or buy) a user. Road rage or Roid rage; pick one.

3. FartingHippo
    Devil

How much??!!

Boards are US$999-US$1,499.

Anyone dumb enough to pay that for a plank, a motor and a battery deserves a face plant. Preferably recorded for posterity on youtube.

4. Cuddles

Failsafe?

So he first noticed this because disconnecting from the controller caused him to crash. Surely if it disconnects, it should fail to a safe state, presumably simply turning the motors off and leaving it to behave as a regular, unpowered skateboard. A skateboard that launches its user facefirst into the ground as a reaction to losing its connection really doesn't sound like a great idea even before anyone starts hacking.

Also, am I to understand that using this skateboard requires you to actually control it with your phone while using it? As in, these guys are standing in traffic on a motorised board playing with their phones instead of looking where they're going? They should count themselves lucky if hacking is the worst that happens to them.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Failsafe?

I"d think that something that uses the last speed setting and then slowly tapers off would be easier on the rider's sense of balance.

As for the control, I'd assume that it'd be a single control that you move your finger up and down for speed (Not much else needs to be controlled anyway). So it would be held out to the side without having to look at it. But then there is the issue of accidentally hitting the home button or something on it...

Never-the-less the whole concept is idiotic; its a device that costs ridiculous sums of cash to make a merely make a task a little easier that when it fails, has the potential to cause serious injury.

5. Lamont Cranston

Is anyone going to pass judgement on an adult

whose main mode of transport is a skateboard?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Is anyone going to pass judgement on an adult

The criiime isss liiife. The punissshment isss death.

2. Random Coolzip

If their main mode of transport is a skateboard, it's hard to consider them as an adult. Just an abnormally-old child.

1. Sporkinum

I just turned 53, and rode to work that day on my skateboard. It's only a mile though.

2. skeptical i

Because, what, we should all drive cars everywhere as soon as we turn 18? Not everyone HAS to drive (i.e., is elderly, disabled, covering huge distance, schlepping cargo, and/or in crap weather) and if Healy can get where he needs to go using a skateboard (albeit a motorized one), good on him. (No, I don't skateboard, but I do bike. Everywhere.)

6. Frankee Llonnygog

So

No harm done

7. Gordo Rex
    Coat

Hollywood Calling!

We make a comedy movie in which the dictator of an (unnamed) East Asian repressive Communist regime loves skateboarding, and a heroic English speaking country decides to overthrow said dictator by infiltrating two journalists who are trained how to hack the Leader's skateboard and thereby effect his demise. Hilarity ensues.

What could possibly go wrong?

Mine's the one with script in the pocket.

8. Alan J. Wylie

CVE assigned

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2015-2247

and this article is referenced

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like