back to article Competition probe opens door to Canal+ Spain for Rupert Murdoch

It is over six months since Telefonica tabled its bid to buy 56 per cent of Spain’s pay TV operator Canal+ from the Prisa Group on top of the 22 per cent it already owned and at last it is facing the competition probe we predicted it would at the time. The other 22 per cent owned by Mediaset, the Italian commercial broadcaster …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The more interesting question

Does Telefonica has the money to buy it in the first place? Last time I checked it had debt burden compared with an average Latin American economy with comparable debt serviceability too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The more interesting question

"Does Telefonica has the money to buy it in the first place? "

In real terms no. But with £10bn in their pocket by selling O2 to BT they could reduce the €44bn debt pile by 8% and still have £5bn to play M&A with. And as any corporate fat cat knows, M&A is much more interesting than dull stuff like just making money or paying off debt.

2. Mage Silver badge

Murdoch

He "cheated" to get toe hold in UK during BSB. He cheated to acquire Italian Operators. His money has distorted UK Football and pricing to have Sky sports is predatory.

Personally I'd never watch Sky Sports even if free.

He should not be allowed to run Channels AND a Platform, one or the other.

We need a decent Europe wide probe into Murdoch's monopolistic activities. Do we want one Europe wide American owned* Satellite Pay TV company?

(*Though Australian he bought US Citizenship).

Telefonica just sold Ireland's O2 to Three and might sell UK's O2 to BT, so perhaps they can afford it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Murdoch

Not to mention his distortion of democracy in every country he is based in.

3. MJI Silver badge

Turdoch

Please FOAD

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Turdoch

I must admit it is a disappointment to wakeup each day and not read his obituary. But even then his ghastly offspring need to be ethnically cleansed from the world of media before the likes of Sky will become a company I'd do business with.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Turdoch

I won't touch any of his papers, I won't buy into his TV empire, I avoid any of his companies as much as possible.

4. MJI Silver badge

Horror picture

Since the revamp I had THAT come up

Do something

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon