back to article Will tech titans SWALLOW upstart where Apple guru Steve Wozniak works?

I spent just an hour with data centre virtualisation upstart Primary Data (set up by Fusion-io's founders) during an IT press tour, but I came away both intrigued and puzzled at the same time. While it has the best vision and ideas I’ve seen in years, at the same time the two-year-old firm's vision seems incredibly hard to …

1. Google

Go Forth (Virtually)

"Well, comment on the article,private"

"I can't Sir, I don't know what it's going on about"

Judging by the nr of comments, this is how we all feel. Perhaps an article for the PHB's.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I miss days when increasing storage...

...meant buying a c90 as opposed to a c60.

Bah, humbug.

3. thegreatsatan

Holy Grails

believe it when I see it, until then, its all hype.

4. attoman

Please enlighten me as to the visionary creations Wozniak has made in the past

Apple has to the best of my knowledge never introduced a visionary product. Everything is a much better engineered version of other peoples vision at just the right time for the market.

Woz is great guy he saw teaching children as his highest calling and he did that (I gather) very well.

That said I know of no product inside or outside Apple that Woz has shown a visionaries zeal along with the vision itself. Did Woz do the basic cloud patents? Did he do something unique with data in his new start-up?

Woz has taken lately to be a spokesman for Apple and except when he makes the absurd and grossly false claim that Apple and he Woz invented the PC, thats all right with me.

There were better microprocessor based desktop graphics computers being sold a year before Apple was formed in 1976. It wouldn't be until the early 90's that PCs and Apple PCs began to compete with the graphics. As Jobs told me in 1977 in the storefront Apple "Our customers are happy with character graphics." Indeed they were.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Please enlighten me as to the visionary creations Wozniak has made in the past

That is exactly why the article refers to the involvement of Woz as marketing rather engineering.

2. unitron
      Boffin

Re: Please enlighten me as to the visionary creations Wozniak has made in the past

Guess it depends on exactly how you define visionary, but this is interesting reading:

http://www.foundersatwork.com/steve-wozniak.html

especially the "did it in his spare time from his regular job at HP" part.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Read your own paper...

I read in your paper that Primary Data is more than a year old:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/28/tonian_transforms_into_primary_data/

1. JudeKay (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Read your own paper...

That is correct. If you read the article carefully, I believe you'll find our blogger wrote that it "came out of stealth" one year after its inception, which is true. And, yes, the startup itself is two years old.

6. Metrognome

Who are this Juku team of which you speak in your disclaimer!?

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

What's the innovation?

From what I could gather from the article, they're talking about hierarchical storage management with a unified address space. Hasn't that been around since, like, 1990?

Maybe some of this is new to commercial data-center technology (that's not an area I spend a lot of time in), but from a computer science, OS-research perspective it doesn't sound very novel. Transparent hierarchical storage was a hot topic for UNIX systems by 1991 or so. The AS/400 had a single address space for all storage objects in 1988. All this stuff sounds nice enough, but hardly mind-blowing.

But perhaps I'm missing something.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like