back to article NGINX scores $20 MEELLLION to remind people it sells stuff

Web-server-maker NGINX has a tricky problem: its software is used by the likes of Netflix and Dropbox, it can claim 40 per cent of the world's top 1,000 web as users, but that ability to operate at extraordinary scale isn't translating into the hoped-for level of sales of its commercial products and services. The for-cash …

1. Nate Amsden

Apache works fine

For most websites the webserver is not the bottleneck but rather crappy apps that run on top of them.

http://www.eschrade.com/page/why-is-fastcgi-w-nginx-so-much-faster-than-apache-w-mod_php/

(The title is misleading)

1. billse10

Re: Apache works fine

having looked at that page, and also based on experience, you're right with respect to PHP but "generic" serving is typically faster with Nginx. Not always, of course. The best results I usually get are Nginx and Apache working together .... surprise surprise, horses for courses and all that ...

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Apache works fine

but "generic" serving is typically faster with Nginx

Versus which Apache MPM?

More generally, Apache is so configurable that "Apache versus Nginx" is pretty much meaningless, even for a given workload.

I have nothing against Nginx, mind you; but some people seem to regard it as some magical innovation, as if there were no other event-driven servers out there. It's a well-understood architecture that's been around for at least a couple of decades. I've written a commercial event-driven multiprotocol server myself. Nothing terribly remarkable.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a company?

I like nginx but I haven't given it a fresh look in a good while. I didn't even know there was a company behind it.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: It's a company?

Same as me, I didn't think they had paid for products.

I think their marketing team needs a kick up the arse!

3. Nick Kew

It's a difficult business model

Just because Redhat can make a successful business of commercial Linux doesn't make it a business model that works for all.

In the webserver space, Covalent used to offer Apache with a similar business model. It works better as a small component of a wider portfolio (which is really what Redhat offers). It may be that nginx.com will go the way of Covalent and get bought by someone bigger.

nginx is a good product (and tengine - the chinese version - improves it). But some of the evangelism that compares it extremely favourably to apache (generally in configurations no apache person would recommend, such as mod_php) won't stand up to the scrutiny of going mainstream.

4. James 47

Apache is pretty much outdated. The conf settings are bizarre, the multi-process model might have been relevent in 1995 and you end up having to faff with shared memory. One thread per request... please.

Try find sample code that reads a request body... WTF is a brigade...

The documentation is woeful

5. HighHo

I have experimented with both Apache and NGNIX for testing purposes, Apache is well documented especially for 3rd party open source apps/sites. NGNIX however definitely won when looking at load balancing through the server itself.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

support?

Perhaps they should try offering paid support on the base version instead of only offering it on upgraded versions that have features people potentially don't care about?

They also likely suffer from the issue that the software is so good people just don't feel they need support?

7. MissingSecurity

I say there biggest problem is that Apache is understood and works fine, plus it tends to be a defacto standard in many distros. I've played NGINX and in general the way I see it, it's not spectacular enough for me to uninstall Apache and replace it withe NGINX, The "Speed" things is rarely a pain point for most of our applications.

Granted if RHEL or what not, had NGINX installed by default I'd probably say the same thing about Apache.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like