back to article Facebook injects CREEPY search engine into mobile app

Facebook has finally deployed its creepy search engine on the US version of its app for iOS users. One of the free content ad network's product managers announced that Facebook's so-called Graph Search tech would be slowly rolled out to Stateside fanbois over the next few weeks. This comes nearly two years after Facebook boss …

1. Isendel Steel

CFAN

standard post / correction

2. PiltdownMan

FUCK 'EM

That's it, I've wiped Farcebook off my Phablet and Tablet. I'm in the UK, but it's a case of get them, before they get you.

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: FUCK 'EM

I fear you have it the wrong way around, this is to allow you to stalk others.

Deleting the app won't prevent anyone from stalking you, you need to delete your account.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"you need to delete your account."

Ha ha ha haaa haaa ha ha haaaaa!

Sorry, you're serious aren't you?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Mushroom

I deleted my three accounts when they (s)talked up WWW tracking everywhen/where. Make sure to delete the data as well. You'll still be a ghost in their databases, though. That happens to anyone they get a whisper on anywhere.

2. Chris G

Yup! deleted mine a year ago. Everything disappears into a farcebook bin where they keep it; you can't as far as I know reactivate and carry on where you left off but all your previous activity IS kept by the the zuck and co for posterity/stalking you/selling/giving to the NSA etc.

Fortunately my profile was about as accurate as my wife is at darts.

3. TwistUrCapBack

F**K OFF FACEBOOK

See above.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

".. tap into the experiences and wisdom that your network .. has shared"

Ho ho ho! That's a good'un.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: ".. tap into the experiences and wisdom that your network .. has shared"

This is the result when a marketdroid and a corporate lawyer collaborate.

5. sabroni Silver badge
    FAIL

the ability to search for any post that's been shared with you

OOOh, creepy! Except, not at all creepy as people have to share stuff with you for you to be able to search it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Re: the ability to search for any post that's been shared with you

For now.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: For now.

Yes, for now. They could change that, but that would be them ignoring the "only share this with friends" flag. That would be creepy. Allowing me to search posts you've already shared with me is not creepy in any way.

I'm not standing up for facebook, I don't use it, but the daily mail style knee jerk headlines and typical ill thought out responses posted here get on my tits.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Mark 85

The creep keeps creeping and getting creepier.

The next big news will then be: You can search everyone's posts (including non-friends) for all those keywords you have in common. This will allow you to connect with more people than just the ones you know. And allow us to sell more ads."

Yep.. I can see that happening.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The creep keeps creeping and getting creepier.

Uhhhh, this is new to FaceB0rk?....O.K. then...

I'm not with the "in" crowd, but I'm sort of shocked this is news and that all that other shit you mentioned Mark isn't already in place.

So, FaceB0rk just rolled out searching for socials for it's social network...? So what the fuck has it been doing all along, tricking the anti-social into feeling they're social?

Oh, I would like to add that back when I used Yahoo's Geocities everyone used Yahoo's search engine to find similar content. So I'm glad that person was excited to finally launch a feature that might be older than them! So good job and head over to Microsoft, they just launched SSH!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late for may I know...

I'm not normally known for being clever, but for once I can sort of claim to be, maybe.

No FB account. no twitter account, no Limkedin account, no online social presence to speak of.

I have real friends who will help me when my car breaks down and I have their phone numbers and they have mine.

1. john fisher 1

Re: Too late for may I know...

Amen

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

Any story about facebook and you have the usual "I'm somehow better than everyone because i don't use it" comments.....

I live in Asia and use some local facebook groups for expats and people ask the same questions all the time about where to buy rice in Vietnam and why Sushi isn't cooked etc for which a better search would be ideal.

If you are so against sharing things on the internet then don't.... its really that easy and you are probably not interesting to anyone anyway.

1. e^iπ+1=0

Re: Yawn

"I live in Asia and use some local facebook groups for expats and people ask the same questions all the time about where to buy rice in Vietnam and why Sushi isn't cooked etc for which a better search would be ideal."

I think these people would get better results by asking such questions using some kind of a search engine like Google or even possibly Bing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like